PDA

View Full Version : Walking down stairs in heels?

Maija
10-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Hi
Does anyone have tips on how to do this gracefully?

thanks

Lorileah
10-26-2009, 02:55 PM
One step at a time, make sure your foot is flat and solid and hold a handrail if there is one. I still walk one foot in front of the other and not base wide. If you have a date, hold their hand (or make them go first so you have someone to land on if you misstep)

AllieSF
10-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Slowly with one hand on the rail. Then place one foot on the next step on an angle towards the handrail. Repeat the process. It will be the same when going up the stairs. Practice at home if possible. It actually is very easy once you get the hang of it. Good luck and don't break a leg or an ankle.

Maija
10-26-2009, 02:57 PM
I get the basics- but I feel like I am falling with each step. I suppose I have to practice a lot:)

TonyaV
10-26-2009, 03:28 PM
I walk down with feet slightly sideways, while holding the handrail. Practice, practice.

Blaire
10-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Yup, that little angle of the foot is the key to going down stairs. You really want to make sure your whole foot gets on the stair! Remember you're a bunch taller now, so the next step down needs more knee that you're used to. Of course, you could always thrown decorum out the window and slide down the bannister!

Up is not a problem, just stay on your toes and let the heel hang over the edge as you step up and rock your foot forward.

Now if only stairs could be gone down quietly!

Terri Andrews
10-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Sounds like another great reason to wear heels , To practice

Jilmac
10-26-2009, 04:28 PM
You may want to start off with a low heel (2 to 2.5") or weggie, and work your way up. Once you establish a sense of balance, higher heels will come easier. It's kind of like a sailor getting his sea legs for the first time...lol :D

Kate Simmons
10-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Just pretend you are navigating through cow or horse poop. That is the real reason that women (and men) used to wear high heels in the old days.:)

Paulette
10-26-2009, 05:26 PM
I was taught to place your whole foot on the stair and to cross your legs as you are going down, this will allow you to have some graceful movements at the same time as keeping you on your heels. Remember you are also trying to prevent the nasty boys in the room from looking up your dress and seeing you panties.

Sherry-Stephanie
10-26-2009, 05:27 PM
I walk down with feet slightly sideways, while holding the handrail. Practice, practice.

That's pretty uch sums up the way I do it and sometimes I'm at 4.5" - 5" heels....but I'll add the term "carefully" to her description....

SuzanneBender
10-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Nothing looks more graceful than doing this right. Watch a few of the old black and white movies based around dancing. The girls are in heels and they move perfectly by doing exactly what the girls here have suggested. Angle the toes as you step down. One foot in front of the other is important. It keeps those hips swaying and your line balanced and even and yes the boys from looking up your skirt. My other two pieces of advice are to move slower and more fluid than you do in boy mode and focus your weight on the balls of your feet rather than your heels they are the widest and most stable part of your footing now that your feet are pretty.

sherri52
10-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Due to large feet I have to walk with my feet on an angle.

chrissy hamilton
10-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Good question and great tips girls, thanks. I still have to stare at my feet as I go. I want to be able to do it gracefully and stare at my date instead.

Chrissy

http://skirtnheels.blogspot.com/

DawnRodgers
10-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Always point the toes and make them hit the stair first. Landing on the heel first can cause you many problems. Practive this with lower heels and move up to higher as you get better. It just takes a little practice.
Dawn

suchacutie
10-26-2009, 06:42 PM
These are great tips! I must admit I love heels so much and we have a raised ranch so we use the stairs a lot.

As has been said, land flat or slightly on the toe, never on the heel, move as if you were walking slowly with the same hip sway, one foot in front of the other, toe angled slightly (as if you were using more of the stair). Keep your back straight as with any good posture and waltz down the stairs. Do hold the rail !

It does strain the legs if you practice a bit, so don't do it again and again :)

tina

divamissz
10-26-2009, 06:43 PM
How to get down stairs in heels? Take the elevator!

Rebecca Jayne
10-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Lots of good lighting
I hold the hand rail
I walk at a 45 degree angel
1 slow step at a time
Never carry anything in my right hand other than a lite cigar

Dragster
10-26-2009, 08:18 PM
You're wrong Blaire, UP is a real problem in heels (mine are 5") if you're wearing a tight pencil skirt, knee length or longer. I have to climb stairs almost sideways so I can bend my knees far enough to get my foot on the next tread! But then I do like my skirts real tight, and wouldn't go out in a skirt that tight!

I've never had a problem going down, holding the hand rail, and bending both my knees more than I would if I wasn't wearing a tight skirt. I do make sure that I place my heels right at the back of the tread; no problem on carpeted stairs, but it could scuff the heels if you misplace a foot too far back on wood, tiles or concrete!

Tony

stacy-marie hanna
10-26-2009, 08:18 PM
depends on the type of stairs

standard straight stairs try
1: holding rail
2:foot at 45 degree angle
3:one step at time
4:land step on ball of foot first not heel

for spiral stairs

same as before but keep to outside of staircase where stairs are wider

for ladders

dont wear heels at all

stacy-marie

Blaire
10-27-2009, 12:47 AM
You're wrong Blaire, UP is a real problem in heels (mine are 5") if you're wearing a tight pencil skirt, knee length or longer. I have to climb stairs almost sideways so I can bend my knees far enough to get my foot on the next tread! But then I do like my skirts real tight, and wouldn't go out in a skirt that tight!

Tony

Well, if you're going to tie your knees together, a little reduced mobility is a definate side-effect!

Barbara918
10-27-2009, 06:35 AM
You could always sit on the railing and ride down. Sidesaddle, of course.

donnatracey
10-27-2009, 11:23 AM
You could always sit on the railing and ride down. Sidesaddle, of course.

And stick your landing like an Olympic gymnast! Talk about an entrance.....:D