PDA

View Full Version : How People "Treat" You When Dressed

meri
10-31-2009, 11:43 AM
Gotta love Halloween! A sanctioned excuse to do anything you like without fear or recrimination.

Wife and are Popeye and Olive Oil. Because of our physical builds, it made sense that she go as Popeye (short, stocky) and me Olive (flat chested, tall, thin).

So, we put our outfits together and went to our usual wine tasting at Whole Foods Friday night. We are well known there because we go almost every Friday night.

Got a lot of laughs and scared a few kids (not intentional). The kids just didn't know how to handle a guy in a skirt with wig, etc.

My wife was wearing US Navy issued "whites" complete with sailor hat and corn-cob pipe.

The usual reception we get when we visit is my wife gets lots of hugs from the gals that work at the store and they stand really close to her to talk.

With me, it's different, I usually just managed an occasional hug and the gals stand a little farther away from me when they talk.

What is interesting is that this was all reversed last night, my wife as Popeye didn't collect any hugs and the gals stood farther away from her than usual.

With me as Olive Oil, the gals smiled a lot more, stood closer and were much more huggy.

They knew who I was and that I was really a guy, I have no illusions about "passing".

Still, I was treated more like a lady is normally treated and my wife was treated more like a guy is normally treated.

I have to say the closeness was very enjoyable.

Anyone else ever notice this when dressed?

Teri Jean
10-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Yes and it is great.

Teri

carhill2mn
10-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Yes, I frequently receive more kind attention from store personnel (especially by men).

Laura Evans
10-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Yes, I have noted a similar change from the females I meet in public when en-femme vs when I am in drab. I have noticed they are friendlier and more talkative when approached. I my case I don't think they know I am a guy (I am very passable) whereas in your case,Meri, they know you and your wife and when the roles where switched they did too? Very interesting.

sissystephanie
10-31-2009, 10:22 PM
When my wife was alive to do my makeup and fix my wig, she made me very passable. I did then get very good attention from SA's, both female and male. But the funny thing is, now I just go out as a guy in a skirt with my 40 B's in a bra under a tight top and I still get the same attention. When I go into the ladies department in my local Dillard's, Macy's, or Norstrom's the SA's seem to flock to me. Yes, I have at times spent a lot of money at those stores, but a lot of the time I am just looking. But the SA's always treat me as a lady even though I am very definitely a man in looks! I love it!! BTW, those nice SA's usually have me use the ladies dressing rooms to try things on. One of them told me that she thought I was a "better lady" than most of the women who come into the store! Made my Day!! Oh yeah, I had bought about $100.00 worth of things!:)

windycissy
10-31-2009, 10:49 PM
They treat me like the lady I appear to be...on Halloween I walked through the lobby of my hotel in this outfit, got a lot of smiles:

http://p1.hotornot.com/talls/HZ/KM/GY/KR/EEESERRJSWDL.jpg

Terri Andrews
10-31-2009, 11:28 PM
I always get treated better by both Men and Women went out as Terri .

Rachel Morley
11-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Yes, I have noticed this phenomenon. When I was single I had a very close group of friends and we were all part of a "friendship group". It was a group for people who for whatever reason found themselves single (again). There was about 35 of us. Anyway, we would often have fun house parties and many times they would be costume parties.

Every single time I dressed up as a girl (in whatever girl costume I chose) I always got much more attention than when I wore a guy costume or was in regular guy mode. The women would be much more touchy-feely and they would flirt with me more too. It was kinda disconcerting at the time because it used to make me feel like I was only (seemingly?) attractive or interesting if I "turned myself into a girl". I think this amplified my feelings that I'm supposed to be more feminine. Afterward, in the cold light of day (so to speak), I even had some people telling me that I should have been a girl and that feminine clothes suit me.

Anyway, to get back to your point, I totally get where you are coming from, about how sometimes GGs seem to gravitate towards us more when we're dressed e femme. :)

5150 Girl
11-01-2009, 05:16 PM
I've notived my inner/true self gets treated better than my "evil twin"
I think female personas are warmer znd more welcoming to most people

Fran Moore
11-01-2009, 06:03 PM
With your observation Meri. I think that part of the reason is that genetics are "trumped" by visual signifigance, especially in larger groups, which is why at most parties you will see women on one side of the room, and men on the other. I know that when I am out and about as Suzanne, I would much rather be in a group of women than standing in a circle of men who are either oogling me or shifting around uncomfortably in the presence of a man in a dress. I think we also project a certain vulnerability when we are standing there in a pair of panties, bra, dress, bared legs, makeup, etc. and many women can relate to that and allow us to be a part of the "sorority" where we would normally not qualify for that kind of acceptance. (if I'm wrong about that hopefully the GG's out there will set me straight). At any rate, it's a great feeling, and I love spending time with women on that level, talking about the things that we DO have in common, even though there are many things in life that only FAB's can really relate to.

Thank goodness there are women in the world willing to accept us, at least visually and emotionally, and share their kindness and warmth in that "special way", that most men will never know.

Suzanne:)

Christina Horton
11-01-2009, 06:41 PM
I have seen the sane thing to. I always get treated ....well softer then I do in drab. Funny EH.

shirley1
11-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Interesting I live in Birmingham England, I am full time now, nearly always wear a wig, cause of my thinning hairline. A few weeks ago however I did something that was maybe a bit silly, I went out without my wig on, fully dressed, to a gas station I guess most of you call it, some guys were there waiting to be served one said to me 'why you dressed like that for' I said 'whats it gotta do with you'. I then walked off after being served.

Went back down the station tonight, the guy that served me asked me if I was mad ! I laughed !.

Well I was in drab, I guess, even though I am full time occasionally I don't have time to shave fully and so do andro mode, but I couldn't find my hat, so my hairline was showing.

With regards to women yeh they are a lot more accepting than guys are, I always treated with respect from women, men tend to sir me, they don't like transgendered people much, not all, but most in my experience, they either think your weird or want to sleep with you. Its bizarre, I don't get it really, then again why would I.

Its a stereotypical opinion I have of course !

sherri52
11-01-2009, 09:48 PM
I bet she understands now why you want to be dressed as a lady

victoriamwilliams1
11-01-2009, 09:53 PM
This is an interesting observation.

linnea
11-01-2009, 11:15 PM
My experience, though limited, has been similar: I get more nice attention from women and men when I'm out as Linnea.

noeleena
11-02-2009, 05:23 AM
Hi...
Itll depend on your attatude as well . im accepted as a woman . even tho i dont really pass as such . why . because i told so many people .they are just accepting . & i get on well with them . i talk to lots of people i v never met . & they just talk like hey we v known each other for years. so what i lack. i make up in other ways .
...noeleena...