PDA

View Full Version : Some good progress

CharleneT
11-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Hey all, this applies to people in or traveling in Iowa. Still it is great to find out about. I have to attach as a txt file.... It is a little hard to follow unformatted. If you want a PDF of it, PM me and I'll send it on. Basically though, in Iowa if you are TG/TS you are protected from discrimination in the use of any public facilities.

Anyone here or going to be here, not a bad idea to print this out and stick it in your purse. It covers a lot of places !! Recently I asked our local police about the law here wrst bathrooms and they told me only post-op's could use opposite sex bathrooms in Iowa legally. Well... they're very wrong. I'm taking them a copy of this document ;-)

jenna_woods
11-02-2009, 02:01 PM
yes that's god to know its the same in Maine I am told.

Teri Jean
11-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Charlene,
Sister you have made this girl so happy. Although I live in Minnesota I have friends and a CD support group I belong to in Des Moines. This is going to make life easier while traveling to and from or even if I need to stop and "gamble" a little. Okay there is another vice that is out. LOL I did print it out and will have it in my purse wherever I go.

Love ya dear, Teri

GypsyKaren
11-02-2009, 05:22 PM
But does "gender identity" mean how you present or your legal classification?

Karen :g1:

CharleneT
11-02-2009, 05:40 PM
But does "gender identity" mean how you present or your legal classification?

IF I am reading it correctly, it is how you present, hence pre-ops like myself are finally covered. Much to my surprise !

"Gender Indentity means a gender-related identity of a person, regardless of the person's assigned sex at birth"

Seems like they are saying that GI is any identity you present, whether it is the same as your birth sex/identity or not. What is really surprising in a way, is that law covers locker rooms etc, not just bathrooms.

GypsyKaren
11-02-2009, 07:39 PM
I think I'd check into that in case they're referring to post-ops who have a different sex assigned at birth.

sherri52
11-02-2009, 07:49 PM
I think the law that Obama just passed will cover every state in the same manner

CharleneT
11-02-2009, 07:59 PM
I think I'd check into that in case they're referring to post-ops who have a different sex assigned at birth.

Hi GK, I did check. The info came from a lawyer in the local Tri-Ess group. He worked on this and other national issues for TG folks. They do not in the wording ever specify post-pre op because they actually intend others as well. I have written to him to make sure that I have it right though... want to be careful.

CharleneT
11-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Ok, finally back from checking a lot more in depth ! Although this is about Iowa, I am sure it applies in general to any other state where gender identity is a protected class or group.

I talked to the Iowa Civil Rights Commision, the local police, the Johnson County Prosecuter's office and the City Human Rights Office and two local attorney's (both TG) .... whew.... this is what I learned:

It is a new law and as such, untested. Hence almost no one will give a definitive answer to questions about it. Now, even though they waffle, they all agree that the reading of the law clearly gives you the right to use public facilities (all types) that are appropriate to the gender that you "identify as". Thar's the rub: what constitues "identify". Well, from the Civil Rights side, it is however you present. The rest don't want to guess :) The advice I was given is to carry the Iowa Civil Rights Commission pamphlet around with me and IF challenged, bring that bad girl right out! Both the ICRC and the Iowa City Human Rights Office would *love* to defend someone over the bathroom issue - basically so the law can get "tested" and made more firm. The ICHRO said that there have been a few cases where this has come up and the providers of public facilities (whatever they were) backed off as soon as they became aware of the new law. No one has had to defend (in court) their use of public facilities. Everyone emphasized that it is likely that business owners will not be aware of the law (yet). As well, unfortunately, many cops are not likely to know either. The final advice was pretty simple: stay calm, let 'em know about the law, be polite - but firm - about your rights and chances are nothing will happen (other than getting asked about what you are doing).

It is a beautiful day here today (Sharon, go outside!) and so I am going to take a walk down to the cop shop and give them a copy of the pamphlet ... then they can't say they did not know! {sneaky TS..... hee hee...}

Hope this helps anyone out there, somehow, some day !

Charlene