PDA

View Full Version : Myths surrounding transition

Sheila
11-03-2009, 02:13 PM
this is for those who have stated on the hormone therapy route Via their Doctors/gender clinic only to answer.

Debs seems to think that they will refuse to start her on hormones if she is still smoking ....True/False .................... yeah we know smoking is bad for you and we are both cutting down and are well below half what we were smoking a month ago so it is getting better and we are trying to stop altogether

ALSO

Are there any other myths are there around that we may hear, that you guys/girls can categorically deny as rubbish.

stacie
11-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Thats up to the Dr. When I started on hrt my Dr told me if I was a smoker I would have to quit smoking before he would start me on hrt. There are risk involved with hrt and you don't want to increase the chance of something bad to happen.

Kieron Andrew
11-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Debs seems to think that they will refuse to start her on hormones if she is still smoking ....True/False .................... yeah we know smoking is bad for you and we are both cutting down and are well below half what we were smoking a month ago so it is getting better and we are trying to stop altogetherCharing Cross will start Debs on hormones if you are still smoking BUT they will want you to stop and preferably before you start them because smoking increases the risks of DVTs and blood clots, so really it is best that Debs stops now giving herself plenty of time before she gets to the hormone stage, (she wont get hormones until at least her 2nd or 3rd appointment and these are months apart anyway....like i said before, long process, giving her plenty of time to stop)....i have to say that was one of the first questions i got asked was whether i smoked

kellycan27
11-03-2009, 02:53 PM
The risk factor is a lot higher for smokers. I have a friend who was refused hormones until she quit. I know it's difficult to stop, but you'll feel better and may give yourself a few extra years to spend with your new spouse..LOL

Kel

MJ
11-03-2009, 04:57 PM
i have to say false i cut back and try as i can i just cant stop

GypsyKaren
11-03-2009, 05:07 PM
It depends on the doctor, some will ask that you quit, some will demand it.

Karen

Stephenie S
11-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Karen wrote:

It depends on the doctor, some will ask that you quit, some will demand it.

This is, of course, completely true. You don't HAVE to quit smoking.

However, smoking while on hormone therapy is a bit like playing Russian roulette. It's VERY dangerous. The risks of DVT and stroke go up enormously. What good will HRT be for you if you can't speak, walk, or talk because you stroked out? It just makes no sense at all.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Eileen
11-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Excellent point Stephenie. Stop smoking Debs!

Eileen

pamela_a
11-03-2009, 11:46 PM
While the doctor may have a problem with starting her on estrogen if she's still smoking they will probably start her on a T blocker.

I quit smoking before I went in for my first appointment to see about HRT but since I'd had a history of DVTs several years before the doctor was very reluctant to start me on estrogen. She, however, had absolutely no problem with starting me on Spironolactone.

Not being on estrogen isn't the end of the world and if she's just stated on a T blocker it will give her some time (and good reason) to work on quitting smoking.

-Pam-

morgan51
11-04-2009, 12:29 AM
I was asked up front if I still smoked and I was able to say no I quit . It was the hardest thing I've had to do so far but well worth the effort I feel so much better now I used the patches for a couple weeks and then went "cold turkey"

Karen564
11-04-2009, 09:20 AM
It's pretty common & well known that most doctors will insist that you stop smoking before they will prescribe estrogen because of the added high risk factor of DVT, but it's also pretty common that many TS's fib & say they stopped..
Another thing many doctors would also prefer to see if the TS patient is older (over 40) that they give up alcohol too because of the added strain on the Liver, only because they know many TS's have a history of alcohol & substance abuse for many years which damages the Liver..
Sadly, lots TS's do have many vises which were started because of GID & the depression it causes.. But the HRT will help ease the depression considerably to varying degrees for a while..

:hugs:

Jessinthesprings
11-04-2009, 10:39 PM
dumb question.

Is it because of the much higher dosage of estrogen than the natal amounts normally found in women that smoking is such a big deal?

I am glad that I never started smoking.

Karen564
11-05-2009, 12:45 AM
dumb question.

Is it because of the much higher dosage of estrogen than the natal amounts normally found in women that smoking is such a big deal?

I am glad that I never started smoking.

Yes, And that also goes for all genetic woman on HRT or taking Birth Control too..This risk applies to everyone, not just TS folk.

You were very smart not to start smoking:thumbsup:,
But I cant say the same for myself..:sad:

Felix
11-05-2009, 02:09 AM
Hi Hun Helen agrees with the comments that GP or clinic will require ya to stop smoking. For example Helen was on 4mg of estrodol pre op and 2mg post opp therefore the risk of all the problems stated above is far greater prior to surgery especially in the over 40's. Helen was asked to stop smoking 7 years ago and there is more of emphasis on it these days. She has been asked to stop for her up and coming surgery which the surgeon knows will be incredibly difficult for her. Hope this helps xx Felix :hugs:

Kaitlyn Michele
11-05-2009, 09:41 AM
I had a couple of thoughts...

Live my life as myself or smoke??? hmmm...not a very hard question for me

Also, when I started to consider transition, I was overweight, out of shape and depressed... I used my need to transition as a goal to lose the weight, get in shape and finally confront my depression (whether brought on by my gender issues or not)...all of the above allowed me to be more successful and feel better about myself, which now gives me a better start to my transition

So maybe you guys can flip the way you are thinking of this and get off the smoking?? Just a thought..

All thebest!

Sheila
11-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the replies folks ................ like I said we are already well on the way to stopping, was just wondering about the myths and things ........... as an ex nurse I am well aware of the dangers, but dang sometimes you just go ahead and do anyway :doh:

Carole Cross
11-06-2009, 02:29 PM
good luck in giving up. :hugs:

Starling
11-08-2009, 06:40 AM
Sheila, good luck to you and Debs with the smoking. It's much easier if both of you quit, and you're a doll to embark on it with her. Going from smoker to nonsmoker is a transition of a kind, itself. I gave up smoking years ago without regrets. It changed my life.

:) Lallie