PDA

View Full Version : Guess I Seriously Pushed the Outing Envelope

Persephone
11-04-2009, 06:40 PM
I've been active in my congregation's ladies auxilliary for years, attending occassional meetings and frequently being a part of the kitchen/refreshments crew. As a matter of fact, I'm qualified as "hostess," which means I can be a crew lead.

Twice I've been suggested as a board member and twice I've been shot down before the nomination because the national women's organizations' bylaws specifically say that you have to be a woman.

A couple of my friends have suggested that it's just a matter of having a woman's name on the roster when it goes to national and that we could just put down my spouse's name (technically, she's the member).

I don't feel comfortable using her name, it just doesn't seem right to be acting as someone else. So my spouse said, "This year when I send in the dues check, let's just put down your first initial."

That could work particularly well in my case since my en drab first initial does sound like the abreviation for a female name. O.K., it's the letter "D".

We did that, and they still assumed we were just renewing her membership. The confirmation came back with her first name on it.

Today there was a mid-day ladies' auxilliary Thanksgiving recipe swap, so I printed up one of my best recipes, attributed it to "Dee," and brought it to the meeting.

I wore misses' pants that are cut long to go with heels, a feminine polo shirt, earrings, a feminine watch and bracelet, and a pair of Etienne Aigner classic pumps with a 2½ stacked heel.

Practically everyone there was a woman who has known me for years and I've worked in the kitchen with several of them.

When we went around the table doing introductions they called upon me using my male name. I said, "I've been a hard-working member of this group for years. But my name sounds foreign in a group like this, so why don't we use my first initial and call me Dee?"

The lady next to me, a friend of mine who was looking over my recipe with Dee's name on it said, "I was wondering about that! Makes sense."

Well, no-one actually called anyone by name for the rest of the morning anyway, but I suspect I planted a seed. And I suspect there was some discussion when I left since the auxillary leadership were mostly the ones left in the room. But I guess we'll see if "Dee" earned a passing grade.

Kathi Lake
11-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Go Dee! Or P! Or whoever. :)

I hope that you get the acceptance you deserve out of this. It's odd, if it were the opposite, the organization would most likely bend over backwards to accommodate a woman who wanted to join. Sigh.

Kathi

sherri52
11-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Good for you Dee, Hope they accept you now as the way you wan't it to be.

DaphneGrey
11-04-2009, 08:24 PM
I am proud of you Dee!

Hope
11-05-2009, 01:40 AM
I'm curious about whether it is that you don't want to be identified as a woman, or if it is that the women's organization refuses to identify you as a woman?

I know you do a lot of things en femme - but if you still don't want to be identified as a woman you can't blame the national organization for not accepting you as a woman either.

On the other hand, I have to completely agree with Kathi that if the genders were reversed, people would be begging a woman to join the leadership of the mens fellowship. But then churches generally have a lot of trouble attracting men, cries of patriarchy aside.

Persephone
11-05-2009, 02:25 AM
I'm curious about whether it is that you don't want to be identified as a woman, or if it is that the women's organization refuses to identify you as a woman?

Excellent question, Hope, and sorry I wasn't clear about that. Despite all that I do, I do not identify as a woman 24/7.

I feel that I still have some responsibilities en drab. The result has been that I have created a strange and sometimes downright scary double life that plays right up against the edge. In this particular case I'm in a fairly complex overlap because some of these very women also know me in fairly masculine roles.

Over the years I guess I've become a sort of token guy, perhaps a sort of ladies' auxilliary mascot, . It may be like when little girls are playing and are one short for a tea party so they go and get a younger boy sibling and put a frilly hat on him.

They accept me as a part of the group but still see me as a "guy."

Does that make sense?

I know you do a lot of things en femme - but if you still don't want to be identified as a woman you can't blame the national organization for not accepting you as a woman either.

That's very true and I defend their right to do so, but my defense is tempered by the long "feminist" hallmark of women invading men's spaces, often by force of law. I refuse to go that route as it is against my beliefs, but I do have a certain amount of feeling that "what's good for the goose is good for the gander." In today's society do they really have an automatic "right" to exclude me?

On the other hand, I have to completely agree with Kathi that if the genders were reversed, people would be begging a woman to join the leadership of the mens fellowship. But then churches generally have a lot of trouble attracting men, cries of patriarchy aside.

Precisely! In my own faith women have often seemed driven to participate in every aspect of congregational life, why shouldn't I have that same right? I would accept a level playing field, I have trouble with a double standard.

Hugs,
Persephone.