PDA

View Full Version : My V.A. Appointment

Leanne2
11-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Yesterday was my appointment at the V.A. hospital. I've been there many times but this is the first time that I went dressed en-fem. I didn't want to draw too much attention to myself so I didn't wear a dress or a skirt. Instead I wore plain woman's jeans, nylons, woman's canvas shoes, and an aqua long sleeved top with a scoop neckline. Of course my hair was "done" and I wore light makeup.
I walked into the waiting room with my folder and purse like I owned the place. I checked in with the receptionist and took a seat. I looked around and noticed that no one was staring at me. Then a nurse opened a door and called my name. Thank goodness I have a unisex name. I followed her into the back area where she weighed me. Don't ask! Then she took me into an examining room.
She was reading my information off of her computer screen so she knew that I wasn't female. She asked me all of the normal questions and then took my BP. Guess what? It was sky high. I told her that it isn't usually that high but I was nervous about being there as a transgendered person. Then she asked me several questions about that. I used the opportunity to educate her about myself. She was very nice. She asked if I was ready for SRS. I told her that I was just beginning all of this and hadn't made that decision yet. I also told her that we want people to use female pronouns when we try so hard to look feminine.
Finally the doctor in the next room was ready to see me. I had told her last year that I was transgendered so she was not surprised to see dressed en fem. She did a light examination and then we talked. She said that she would set me up with a counselor to discuss my gender issues. Then she wanted to increase my BP meds. I told her that it was high because I was nervous. She agreed to leave my meds alone if I recorded my BP readings daily for two weeks. If the readings were still high she would increase the medication.
The doctor opened the door to her nurse's room and said," Can you retake his blood pressure?" The nurse said," Sure, I'll do it again for HER" and then she winked at me. I just smiled. And the reading was lower but still high.
My labs weren't ready yet so we couldn't discuss my hormone levels. And she had me come back this morning for another blood draw to test for other things.
So that was my fem day at the V.A. Now my doctor knows that I am serious about this and I feel good about myself for being a brave girl around all of those male veterans. Thank you for all of your kind words. Leanne

NV Susan
11-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Hi Leanne;
What a very nice story, I'm glad all went well for you as I've been wondering about your V. A. appointment since I read your thread about it. Your a very brave girl going into the V. A. en femme as it's usually a male dominated environment. Hope the blood pressure comes down and all else is well with you!!! :bighug:
LOL Susan

trannie T
11-06-2009, 07:17 PM
So glad that you had a good experience with socialzed medicine. Finding an understanding caring professional is good. Your doctor seems to be supportive despite having difficulty with pronouns.
Watch the blood pressure,it can lead to serious issues.

sherri52
11-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Good for you Leanne: I was at the VA Tues Womens jeans and clear polish. If they had me remove my socks they would have seen red polish. They didn't but the dr did ask about my nails and I commented that I always wear polish. Nothing in comparrison to what you did, I'm happy it all went well.

Jamie001
11-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Sherri,

I am curious as to why the doctor would ask about your nails. It seems to me that wearing nail polish has absolutely nothing to do with your medical condition. It's a very strange question. Do you have any idea what the doctor asked you this questions?

:hugs: Jamie

Good for you Leanne: I was at the VA Tues Womens jeans and clear polish. If they had me remove my socks they would have seen red polish. They didn't but the dr did ask about my nails and I commented that I always wear polish. Nothing in comparrison to what you did, I'm happy it all went well.

Teri Jean
11-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Hi Leanne, I'm glad this worked out for you. As I get closer to retirement I will be using the VA as my primary care and this is a good sign for the future. You are brave. Thanks.

Teri

Butterfly Bill
11-06-2009, 11:41 PM
I have been going to the VA hospital here in Muskogee, OK wearing dresses since moving here in 2004, and I have had no adverse reactions from either doctors or other patients there.

Butterfly Bill
11-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Sherri,

I am curious as to why the doctor would ask about your nails. It seems to me that wearing nail polish has absolutely nothing to do with your medical condition. It's a very strange question. Do you have any idea what the doctor asked you this questions?

:hugs: Jamie

It was probably just small talk, like complimenting you on something else you were wearing, or discussing the weather or the football game -- stuff to put you at ease.