PDA

View Full Version : Not declassified by the library!

helenr
11-06-2009, 06:36 PM
I was browsing through a branch of the San Diego library and looking at at book on a transgender individual. I was dismayed that it was next to a book on pedophiles! I am sure this wasn't exactly intentional, but evidently the 306.000 number placement the library uses is virtually the same as this unsavory book number.
Perhaps I am 'reading' (oops-bad pun!) too much into this, but, honestly, so many have struggled so to pull our 'condition' from the psych categories of abnormalities, it would be nice if the library could do similarly.
what do others think?

Elsa Larson
11-06-2009, 10:07 PM
I've never studied Library Science but here's my :2c:

Previous to publication, the Library of Congress prepares bibliographic info that will be included in the Cataloging in Publication (CIP) section of the book's copyright page. CIP info includes the book's numbers in the Dewey Decimal and Library of Congress systems.

If your branch library had a large selection of books in the 306 series (Social Sciences: Culture & Institutions), you would see a lot more detail of the numbering system. Look up the book on the library's computerized catalog and view the virtual "shelf" to see all the related holdings in all the branches.

Mariah
11-06-2009, 11:53 PM
the books must of had close titles, from what I remember for libary duty at school, it went subject then alphatacal.