PDA

View Full Version : Tags for toes, labels for jars

busker
11-06-2009, 07:53 PM
I spotted that phrase on one of threads and it stayed in my memory for its negative connotations. We labeled ourselves as soon as we signed up on this forum and there is no doubt that some have left the forum with a tag on their toe, unable to deal with the harsh realities of our world. One poster said there was a dictionary difference between cross dresser and transvestite, the latter indentifying with women, the former just wearing female clothing but the word transvestite has Latin roots meaning cross (trans) clothing (vestite) or cross dresser. It must be the guys in suits that make some specialized distinction, but they are labels nonetheless .
I'm sure we'd all like to see just red tag sale on our favority item of lingerie labeled pure something or other. Period , end of story. That's not the real world though. There isn't an explorer , adventurer, scientist or creator who hasn't at some point been labelled madman. We could consider ourselves gender issue explorers, let the labels fly and soon enough society at large will get the point. We've all had co-workers that we didn't think much of and perhaps said they were incompetent. Labels can be shorthand for a more detailed description--lack of knowledge, lack of abitilty. They can be useful to us in many ways. I don't want to drink from a bottle labelled poison.
We are in many ways jars or containers: of millions of years of genetic code, family histories, social histories, but also human traits that define us as individuals. The label on our container could also read, son, husband, father, artist, musician, actor, brother, logical, loyal, panties, skirts, blouses, stillettos, bras and a host of other things all arranged by how much they are part of the whole, as in a real label.
As humans we are responsible for what is listed on that label--the order of the content by it's weight in our lives. Some people might just list cd 24/7. Some might list a hundred things that go on their label indicating that they are more complex in their nature and that some things matter more to them. Being a parent to your child is certainly more important (in my view) than dressing to the nines. Cd could represent just a small fraction or it could be the whole ball of wax, in which case the label might read WOMAN. We don't like the labels given by other people because they can be offensive from lack of understanding and knowledge--fag, queer, lesbo, weirdo, --so it is up to us to ensure that there is truth in labeling by listing the content of our own jar--and that does take some thought about who we are and why we are . Then ,when others read our labels, we can hope that they have kinder words for their fellow humans who just happen to be a little different from them.

Karren H
11-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Somewhere I missed all those label check boxes when I signed up....

sherri52
11-06-2009, 09:09 PM
When they read my tag make sure they spell my name right s h e r r i

Kate Simmons
11-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Like I always say, labels are a dime a dozen. Proving who you are as a person(not this that or the other thing) is priceless.:)

Joanne f
11-07-2009, 05:02 PM
I have been tagged/labeled many things by the general public which includes cross dresser,tranny queer gay boy and quite a few there's, the odd thing is on here the site for cross dressers and TG i have only been called two things , a coward and an a**hole.
I am no doubt all of the above :devil: but do i care if someone wants to label me with what they have decided i am , no way because the way i look at it is if they are going out of there way to call me names then they have to be thinking about me when i am not thinking of them so that make me more important than they are :heehee:

Kroma
11-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Maybe its just me, but I've never experienced a label that's stuck. It could be because I'm a jack-of-all-trades (master-of-none) type which can fit-in when needed, or maybe its 'cause I don't care. I've always wanted to be liked, don't get me wrong, but I can't control what others think of me regardless of my actions. (i.e. if I try too hard to be accepted then I must have low self-esteem, or if I'm too hyper then I must have A.D.D.). No matter what anyone does, someone will have something to say about it, so why feed their criticisms. Be who you are, like it, and have fun. For God's sake, HAVE FUN! As far as any of us know, we can only do this once, so we may as well enjoy it. Screw the a**holes, (no offense Joanne); let them be missererable and scared.

One day I'll have a real toe tag and a granite label to mark where I rest. Hopefully the former just has my name and TOD, but the latter will read "Well, that was fun. Now what?"

Blaire
11-07-2009, 11:34 PM
And to think I thought people never read these things below the line...

Most everyone wants a name, a group, a community, a something to hold on to. The point is, do you really care what that label is? I don't. It also bothers me that people seem to care about it so much that they divide our much too fragmented community.

This is crossdressers.com. It could have been transvestites.com. Or guy-who-likes-wearing-makeup.com. I really couldn't care less. The words and the concept mean the same thing. Yet there are a good number of people here that take offense to being thought of as transvestite.

Frédérique
11-08-2009, 07:36 AM
It must be the guys in suits that make some specialized distinction, but they are labels nonetheless .

I think you hit the nail on the head – labels are a marketing scheme, used to target individuals for use by others. If I have labels, I make sure they are hard to read – I keep everyone guessing…:hmph:

Loni
11-08-2009, 08:05 AM
You can lable me. (and yes I am a packrat)
I like to pickup shiney things :-)

call me anything you want.......

..... Just do not call me late to dinner

Sara Jessica
11-08-2009, 08:43 AM
I don't have a problem with labels, it's part of that language thing, using words to describe and categorize. Labels also come in handy when looking at this whole TG experience on a continuum. Yet I don't feel a need to hang a label on myself like a necklace for all to see unless the topic somehow comes up in conversation or if it's relevant to a posting. For example, anyone who has read much of what I've written knows where my POV is coming from. I don't need to advertise it above and beyond what I've written to describe my experiences.

PretzelGirl
11-08-2009, 09:07 AM
I agree with Sara in that labels have a needed space in our language. To take it further though, I think we get hung up on them here and sometimes take it personally when it isn't meant to be.

While I might say I am a crossdresser here, it may generate a load of discussion and maybe even cause a slightly heated debate depending on the context. If I was to do that when coming out to someone, it gives them a baseline perception to work from. So the label does then fill a good purpose to get started. When educating people, you always need to have that baseline and then you can add information as you go.

Or to look at it another way. Here, we tend to get wrapped around the axle on definitions of certain labels because we are all different and spread across the spectrum. If we tried that on someone that isn't on this forum, we would make it difficult for them to understand a thing because we would be confusing them with microscopic details to describe ourselves.

mykhelee
11-08-2009, 11:23 AM
We all have many labels on us, we have no choice, labels are places upon by society, family, friends (not an altogether bad label to have), as well as ourselves.
I have been a "Husband" but no longer am
I'm just "Poppa" to my Grands
I'm just an average "Joe?" you see
I just happen to like to CD:brolleyes: