PDA

View Full Version : Hot? Read this

Melissa A.
07-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Reprtinted from July 25th's Albany Times Union:

One of my earliest memories is watching my mother get ready for work: picking out her suit, blow drying her hair, carefully aplying her mascara and,as a final touch,stretching out a pair of nylons between her hands and wriggling them up her legs.

I could hardly wait until I would be old enough to put on my own pantyhose and strut off to the office like Mom.

What was I thinking?

As a Times Union intern with a year left in college before entering the world of pantyhose and business suits, the heat is on. I might as well keep my legs cool when reality hits.

Enter Silkies 65 degree pantyhose, designed to keep the legs a moderate 65 degrees in the sweltering summer heat.

When I broke open the plastic packaging, I was surprised that unlike most nylons that need to be pried apart and look as if they're made for a toddler beforethe first wearing, the silkies unravelled easily and felt more like chiffon than nylon.

The marketing promises an antimicrobial feature "infused with a cool breezy scent", but I really detected as I pressed the "special yarns"to my nose was the faint and non descript smell of nylon.

The pantyhose came in only one flesh toned shade. They gave my legs a bit of a sheen, but didn't entirely camouflage the purole bruise on my right knee.

Originally designed for women living in the tropical heat of southeast Asia, the 65 degree pantyhose when worn in a chilly air conditioned office could do more harm than good. When I tried them, my feet felt numb at one point.

They were comfortable as far as pantyhose go,although the elastic band hiked up around my ribs was not particularly pleasant.

When I left the office for the day,the air was a sticky 87.I squirmed into myold leather driver's seat, waiting for my feet to thaw and the real magic of my pantyhose to kick in.

I was pleased with the results. My legs felt cool in the incredibley humid car (perhaps because they were slowly thawing) and the pantyhose were breathable against my skin.

But they were not durable.By the end of the day, I could tell the ultra-sheer nylon was getting too much wear and started to tear a bit at the crotch seam.

The 65 degree pantyhose are only sold online at http://www.silkies.com or by calling (888) 765-0062. They cost $8.95 a pair pus $5.99 for shipping and handling.

VERDICT: A miss. Unless youv'e got a pantyhose fetish, no AC, and the extra cash for shipping and handling. -By Jane Porter

Ok, well the writer didn't like them, but I have heard alot of complaints about the heat lately, and I hate it, so I may try them, because it sounds like they do work. But at $5.99 for S&H, I'm gettin' more than one pair!! Will let you know if I do. Just thought some might be interested.

Hugs,

Melissa :) (dressed but bare legged right now-gawd it's hot!)

Jamie M
07-26-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm trying to remember where it was that i saw it ( i'll have to dig out all my magazines ) , but i recently read an article stating that dupont were working on a new form of nylon for tights that hold microcapsules of acohol encased in wax that when melted by contact with the skin would in effect causing a cooling evaporation to occur .

Has any-one else come across this or was i dreaming again :confused:

julia :love:

Ophelia D'Void
07-26-2005, 03:25 PM
Curious to see what the verdict is. Just hope they're not as fragile as they say. I can imagine sneezing too hard and splitting a pair of pants down the middle, let alone a pair of the Emperor's new pantyhose.

michellej
07-26-2005, 03:51 PM
Well, if they are cold enough, your "boys" will shrink so you don't have to tuck! Just like swimimg in very cold water.