PDA

View Full Version : Bearded Ladies

Robynts
11-08-2009, 08:19 PM
There were comments in a recent thread about how beards do not fit into peoples image of crossdressing. I have to admit that for almost 20 years I hid Robyn behind a big bushy Santa Claus beard. I was still an active crossdresser even with a beard, though I did not go out in public. I think my wife was comfortable keeping Robyn hidden with a beard, too.

All my early pictures were taken from the neck down.

Now when I walk down the street and see someone with a beard I ask myself, what is he hiding? Is he one of us?

I had to shave off my beard for a work issue. I was so relieved to have an excuse to get rid of my 20 year old beard.

My question is how many of us have hidden ourselves behind beards? How many still do?

What was it like when you finally say yourself in her full glory?

To answer these questions for myself,

I hid for 20 years, and wish I had not.

The first pictures I took of Robyn dressed, full makeup and hair were magical and to this day are some of my favorite pictures.

Bottom line, in my book beards can fit with crossdressing, but if you are hiding behind one consider letting yourself free.

Robyn

Faith_G
11-08-2009, 09:23 PM
I hid for 15 years, my beard was down to my chest. My beard was proof to the world that I was a man, along with my size it made me look intimidating and kept people at a "safe" distance.

I cried when I saw myself for the first time in many years.

If a person identifies as male, why shouldn't he wear a beard? And just who are we to tell a man he can't wear a dress?

sherri52
11-08-2009, 09:29 PM
I was a mailman on foot in the Boston area for thirty years. I grew my beard every year not to hide behind but to keep my face warm as I was walking in the snow and sleet. I couldn't wait until early spring to get it off. I don't think you can look like a woman in a beard.

victoriamwilliams1
11-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah I hid behind one for about 3 years and I "accidentally" shaved a portion off! I later found out I felt better without it!

Samantha B L
11-08-2009, 10:40 PM
I was in high school and junior high from 1968 to 1974 and my whiskers came in early when I must've been 14 or 15. those were the days of rap sessions,folded arms and a kind of "I don't care-ism" which some people tried to exude. Although I knew deep down that I had an interest in crossdressing and I'd known this since I was 7 or 8,I grew an ocaisional "ho-hum,I don't care" beard or mustache. Finally,when I was in my early twenties (and I had already started to go out and shop for clothes)I decided I should be clean shaven always and not just part of the time.

Maybe some of you remember there was for about 2 or 3 years a trend among "transvestites" as all of us were called back then towards delicately sculptured beards,goatees,mustaches,sideburns that looked sort of like Carmen Ghia in The Producers. This was called "skag drag". Skag Drag was back around 1975-1976-1977. There was even a skag drag rock band called the Cycle ****s! As for me, I like myself better clean shaven. But I've seen plenty in my life and I can't say I've never seen a bearded crossdresser!

Marcia Blue
11-09-2009, 12:12 AM
I had a beard for over 25 years. I did not feel I was hiding behind it at the time, however in retrospect I probably was.
It is nice to feel the cool breeze and direct sunshine on my face. I am so glad it is gone.

MAJESTYK
11-09-2009, 08:17 AM
I did exactly that, I had a beard for 25 or so years , kept my hair very short, had a permanent scowl and I'm huge for want of a better word. It worked and fooled everyone but me.

Tomara
11-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Hi Robyn
I have had a beard for 33 years , I am not hiding anything it is part of who I am as a man , I don't dress in public and probably wouldn't if I did shave my beard , I am comfortable with who I am as a man and cross dresser.
Tomara

Sally R.
11-09-2009, 10:45 AM
I've had a beard for 25 years. I 've shaved it 3 times during those years so I could attend Chicago Gender Society Christmas party. I prefer my look with the beard as a man, but obviously not when dressed. I would probably shave it all the time but my wife insists I keep, and I'm sure part of the reason is to keep me in the house when dressed.

NV Susan
11-09-2009, 11:26 AM
OMG Robyn, what a great thread. I didn't grow a beard, I went about it with a mustache. I wanted to give up crossdressing many years ago and thought the mustache would keep me from doing it. It worked for a short while but mot for to long. Of coarse it involved a purge..:doh:...glad I don't do that any more!!
LOL Susan :doll:

Leslie Foxx
11-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Had mine from 1971 to 2005. At the time I hoped it would suppress my feminine self. For some strange reason it just didn't work.

Ruth
11-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Yes, I was a bearded lady for many years. I think it was part of my progression in CDing that one day I finally could no longer tolerate all that hair on my face (even when in drab) so I shaved it off. It was only the start though, and I have since removed nearly all my body hair as well!
Unfortunately not much grows on my head...

The_Juggler
11-09-2009, 12:14 PM
You know this makes me think again about men who wear long beards all the time
"hmmm, that bushly looking guy just might wear high heels when nobody is around"

I am clean shaven and always have been (I'm only 23 though). I started shaving in high school and I shave before I go to work in the morning every day.
What I do by myself is my own business, but at work I am a man.

I think I would look older if I had some facial hair, but I sort of like that people underestimate my age - I've been asked what grade I am in high school recently.
I suppose that my facial hair does help with my CDing hobby though

Lainie
11-09-2009, 12:19 PM
but I now go out in normal public venues--shopping, dining--fully dressed en femme, but wearing my handlebar as well. I don't want to give it up, even for a couple of months, but I often have skipped dressing for a few months. Cross dressers don't like it, but the general public takes no notice. I get lots of compliments on the 'stache from men & women while I am in drab. In drag, ladies sometimes compliment my outfit or jewelry.
I have played with full & partial masks , but haven't yet come close to my "Mission Impossible" dream of a fitted, feminine face that people accept as normal.

Lorileah
11-09-2009, 01:19 PM
I tried a beard once, made me look old.

30 years ago, that would have been the plan "yessir I am 30, not 18 like I look. Yessir I am old enough to drink. Yessir just look I have a beard." Now I want to look younger "Aren't you going to card me? Maybe I am just gray for my age? Damn punk bouncers anyway...why I was sneaking in here when yo mama was still in elementary school"

OK, I did have a mustache for maybe 6 years, never shaved my upper lip, never had to trim it and on several occasions I was asked it I had dirt on my lip. Can I go back and start over?

DinaMature
11-09-2009, 04:05 PM
I have a mustache I've had since my late teens... er circa 1978; in the past year I've shaved it off a number of times but always let it grow back. My SO prefers it and I feel like I draw attention to myself among those who know me, it's been a part of me for so long.

Honestly, I do think I'm having my own issues doing without it. I've hidden behind it for a very long time.

As for the hair on my head... at least one respondent mentioned not having much "up top". Mine's pretty dicey, at best.

However, since SO prefers it longer, I'd like to try growing it really long- to a length I could try to style or curl, maybe blend in with a 'fall' or extension.
Sadly my occupation doesn't lend itself to long hair (culture and job safety) and my hair is pretty thin anyway.
Right now, it's 'boy cut' and I'm not real happy with the status quo. Buzz cut is just easiest to deal with and is no issue beneath a wig.

Rebecca Jayne
11-09-2009, 04:45 PM
One time for Halloween my wife and I changed places so you know the drill I wore here clothes and she wore mine, well that year I had my only beard I was 6'8" in heels and wore a dress and handed out candy, it was fun everyone loved it,

The beard was too high maintenance , so I shaved it the next spring but kept the mustache.

My mustache is older than 1/2 the country. I love it, so much a part of me i have watched it change color shape size texture for over 40+ years.:)

It ain't goin nowhere. I dyed my hair once and the beautician colored my eyebrows and mustache, I looked like Don Ameche, what a hoot that was.

Kaz
11-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Brilliant thread!

I started growing a moustache as soon as it appeared on my upper lip - also grew my hair long! Hair decided to leave home, married, and the day I shaved my moustache off I got grief from my partner - so I tried a mix... beard, part beard... eventually I have settled for a "designer stubble" look - this has worked well for many years. Mind you I am lacking in hair on top and the look works well in male mode. In fact... in male mode I look better with a stubbly (short cropped) beard. At work it works - it is who I am - sometimes with a designer beard, sometimes not. At home it works for the same reason.

I am not "hiding" Kaz... but as soon as I have a chance... off comes the stubble and the adrenaline is something else! Two days later... I am back to stubbly male... if that is what I want.

So for me... Kaz and I are one... I aren't necessarily hiding with a beard... but it is very much part of my "male" image...

Beard cover... now that is a different issue.. and thread!

Best,
Kaz :love:

Lorileah
11-09-2009, 05:16 PM
It ain't goin nowhere. I dyed my hair once and the beautician colored my eyebrows and mustache, I looked like Don Ameche, what a hoot that was.

Donna who? :)

If you watch commercials, you know when you dye your hair and mustache you get a GF and a new job. Must be true they wouldn't lie on TV would they?

Carole Cross
11-09-2009, 05:58 PM
I hid behind a moustache for 21 years. It started after having an accident on my bike and needing stiches in my upper lip. I couldn't shave there for a while so I decided to let it grow and as I was in a period of denial about my gender issues, I decided to keep it, to keep my secret hidden. I only shaved it off once durting that time and let it grow back.

I finally shaved it off for good last year when I decided I had to go through with my transition. Now after four laser sessions I cant grow it any more because there is very little regrowth. :D

Butterfly Bill
11-09-2009, 08:40 PM
I have a beard, don't feel like I'm hiding anything, am totally out about wearing dresses, and have no intention of shaving it off.

trannie T
11-09-2009, 09:25 PM
I had a beard for about ten years and was very much in the closet. When I shaved I started going out. Do not miss the bear at all.
I may grow the moustache back so I can look like my grandmother.

MyBlackTights
11-09-2009, 09:26 PM
I have a beard and love it, just wish I was accepted wearing tights, skirts, and heels......I love who I am just cant dress how I want to...

PretzelGirl
11-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Had a moustache for almost 30 years. Never felt I was hiding as I never felt any pull towards dressing until a few years ago. I did then dress at home with it which made the clothes as far as I went. I recently shaved it off and now the desire to do more is there. So there probably was a realization that I wanted to do more in the end. It just took the visual of seeing the moustache gone to bring those thoughts to the forefront.

docrobbysherry
11-10-2009, 11:23 AM
in Atlanta in Sep. And "hid" in makeup for 3 days!:brolleyes:

Didn't like the way the "old lady" looked in makeup, any better than I like the "old man", without the beard and stash!:sad:

So, I grew it all back! And I'm HAPPY again!:)

And the BEST PART is, nothing I do to my face effects how Sherry looks!:devil:

Byllie
11-10-2009, 06:54 PM
I have a beard and love it, just wish I was accepted wearing tights, skirts, and heels......I love who I am just cant dress how I want to...
Here! Here!

Michaella
11-10-2009, 08:08 PM
I've worn a beard all the time since it first grew enough to really look proper, with only a few rare and short exceptions since.

I guess part of it was timing: it was a time of beards. Part of it was laziness; it's just easier. Part of it was wanting to look older, as I had too boyish a look I thought. Part of it was wanting to look more masculine. Part of it, eventually, was not wanting to make it too easy to slip into trying to pass.

And I never did really try to pass until a few years ago, when I figured it was now or never, and probably a once in a lifetime event. Ah, but I liked it, and have done it a few times since, and maybe again someday.

But each time I re-grow the beard after only a week or so. I fear my wife would become suspicious. She knows about my cross-dressing, does not approve, and would be enraged if she realized I was going out in public. I also fear I will become too-emboldened and go too far, so the beard is protection against what I see as potentially self-defeating behaviour.

In male mode I do think I look better with the beard, and as I spend 99.9% of my time presenting myself as male, the beard makes sense. I actually wish I could wear the beard with feminine clothes, more gender-bending than cross-dressing. I've done that, but there are limits. As I have explained in other posts, I see "passing" as a means of being able to have freedom to wear a fully feminine outfit without creating too much questioning. Even if one doesn't pass/blend successfully I suspect most people are more comfortable with "guy dressing as a woman" than "guy in skirt and blouse and nylons and other weird clothes." I don't like the deception aspects of presenting as a woman, the inherent dishonety, and wish I could just be myself, male, bearded, who likes to wear what is usually thought of as feminine outfits. Just not possible.

Michaella

brittdoll
11-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Never had a beard - Never wanted a beard - Plus, I can't grow a beard to save my life

Vash
11-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Funny ...... I was recently in Lane Bryant outlet and saw a fellow crossdresser, full make-up (and done really nicely I might add) waering a denim mini-skirt, wedge heels and sporting a full beard. No hiding who he was. I thought "bravo for you". I wanted to chat him up but just let him alone to do his thing

Andy66
11-11-2009, 12:13 AM
OMG, what an eye-opener! All this time I had assumed if a man had a mustache or beard, chances are very slim that he's a cross dresser. This is soooo interesting. Thanks, all! :)

Paula W
11-11-2009, 03:29 AM
Bearded lady here lol. I am close to 26 now an have had a beard ever since I was pretty much able to grow one. Was proud of the fuzz I called a beard in 7th grade and have had hair in some sort of variation on my face almost the entire time since.

Now I keep it simple and just have a small one on my chin just because I think I look so weird without one and I don't dress up in public (yet). Still building up the courage and who knows, one day maybe I will go all out and shave and do makeup, the whole shabang but for now I am pretty content with just walking around the house in heels, hose, skirts, blouses and my crappy halloween wig.

Jocelyn Quivers
11-11-2009, 09:33 AM
I had the mustache, goatee, and shaved head look for several years. Partly because I liked it, but mainly because I thought the more manly I looked the more I would stop dressing. It's nice to know that it did nothing except make my femme side grow even more to where I have now lasered all of my facial hair off.

Loni
11-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Spent a good deal of my life with a beard.
Shaved it off a couple weeks back. Might let it grow back.....if it would have the color of younger years. Very dark brown but mostly red. Now (before shaving) sic grey.

I had a beard cause I dislike shaving. Spent a couple years getting it zapped, but it still grew back.

But all the drugs (from the dr's) have made my face pudgey, got to find out what happend to my neck, it's not there. Never let a dr give you pretnazone(spelling??).

LaurenB
11-11-2009, 03:27 PM
They're great in the winter if you spend much time outdoors (in the north anyway).

KylieQ
11-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Had a very full goatee for 9 years. I go through pretty long swings when I don't feel like dressing at all, and during those times I grow it again, but when the urge hits, off comes the goatee along with all the rest of my hair!

Joanie_Shakti
11-14-2009, 01:30 AM
I had a beard for about 20 years. I liked the maintenance angle, trim it and shave the neck once a week. I shaved it off but left the moustache, after being urged to by a GG friend. It had started turning grey and made me look at least 10 years older.

About this time last year, my crossdressing took over strongly. I have been dressing off and on since I was about 12, but something in me "snapped" around November of last year. I think it has to do with stress relief from the problems of the economy, the job, and no love life. The fact that I was to turn 50 this year didn't help either.

Anyway, the more I dressed this year and the more I spent on clothes, the more my moustache didn't look right on me either. It was greying also, but mainly just didn't look right in pictures I took of myself while in drag. It went away in July and the clean face in drab took some getting used to. Joanie looks and feels so much prettier right away without it. And my old pictures just look so wrong now.

It took a couple of months to get used to the look while in drab, and I was holding the option of growing it back after the above mentioned friend saw me without it. But I think it's gone for good. Joanie looks so much better without it and I lost another 10 years of age when I shaved it off.

QZ2
11-14-2009, 12:44 PM
I have had a full beard or mustache for 50 years and my wife of 30 years loves it and does not want me to shave. Besides, shaving sucks, too.

I do dress fully, wig and all, but no makeup. I started going out in the car after dark (safe) which has now progressed to taking walks (still after dark) and pretty extreme gender-bender outfits in the daytime.

Putting on women's clothes is one thing, but adding forms and wigs is another. Once you do that you no longer are just "enjoying" the lovely outfits but you are trying to emulate a woman.

And that is where the confusing part comes in. I want to pass, to be able to fool others into thinking I am a woman. With the facial hair that can never happen so I just go around fooling myself. And I get great enjoyment out of it looking at myself and the image I present while ignoring the face.

Maybe someday I'll shave, then look-out!

Suzie