PDA

View Full Version : Sex Difference in the Human Brain and its Relation to Transsexuality

Karen564
11-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Here's a link to an interesting research finding for Transsexuals that may help explain & support why myself & others had always so strongly felt we were born in the wrong body & felt this way since very early childhood..
And not some sort of delusion only in our minds..

It's only a piece of the puzzle, but shows there is a difference in the brain of a transsexual vs a male..

So read about it here,
http://www.transgendercare.com/medical/hormonal/brain_sex_diff.htm

LisaM
11-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Karen,

I have seen this story before. It always makes me wonder if I have to wait until I'm dead and they perform an autopsy on my brain before I really know if I'm TS. (just kidding)

But, truthfully, I wish they could measure this while we are alive because I would pay to find out for myself (if it was non-invasive).

AlisonRenee
11-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Are any of you of the age that your mother would have taken DES, to prevent miscarriage, when she was carrying you?

Recently learned of a link between that drug and higher incidence of gender-identity issues in male "DES kids". It seems that the high exposure to synthetic estrogen, in utero, may have caused XY babies to develop more feminine characteristics in the brain, thus creating future gender issues.

I know that my mom took DES when carrying me because of a previous miscarriage, and I also know that I grew up with a whole lot of girly characteristics, mostly emotional. That, and I never could throw worth a hoot.

Empress Lainie
11-13-2009, 07:53 PM
I saw a study made in England of 62 males whose mother took DES, all but 11 were either mtf or homosexual males.

Yep, they always said I threw like a girl. But I had my own baseball teams in 3 different leagues when I was 15, one was in 17under league. I was team owner and manager. I always played right field where I could do the least damage!

I loved to pitch, but if I did every pitch would be a homerun!

Karen - thank you very much for that link, I am saving it for future use. I try to educate on line when questioned on other forums.

Veronica_Jean
11-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Hi,

I read this some time ago. It really does support the idea that this is not just a mental issue but a physical one as well. It is a shame there is no easy way to measure this except after death.

Veronica

Karen564
11-13-2009, 08:38 PM
As interesting as it is & shows a biological differences that can be measured in the brain, which I would say that maybe some day the CAT scans or another new technoligy will be able to pinpoint & detect this & other similar TS brain traits in the future without having to die 1st..

But the way I look at it is this,

I am what I am, and see no need to prove what I say I am..

I think knowing ourselves well enough in how we feel inside says enough without the need for us to throw our brain matter on a slide to say or prove what we are..

We are Women..

Karen

:love:

helenr
11-13-2009, 11:03 PM
I believe this research was done in Amsterdam. I wonder if anything is being done here in the US. would love to donate my brain when the times comes, but it would be nice if there were a US research facility working on this. Anyone know of any domestic brain studies?

luvSophia
11-14-2009, 05:26 AM
Here is a link to a follow-on study that expanded on the original research. This second research paper has a larger number of samples as well as better variety. They included transwomen who did and did not take hormones, a transman as well as a couple natal female samples that had hormonal problems.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/85/5/2034

There continues to be increasing evidence that either a lack of androgen exposure, or a reduced sensitivity to it, during the 12-18th week of pregnancy may have a part in determining later transsexuality.

The 2D:4D digit ratio has long been used as an indicator of fetal androgen exposure. Though I have not been any studies that also correlate it incidences of being transsexual it would seem to make sense.

Riley_The_Riot
11-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Karen,

I have seen this story before. It always makes me wonder if I have to wait until I'm dead and they perform an autopsy on my brain before I really know if I'm TS. (just kidding)

But, truthfully, I wish they could measure this while we are alive because I would pay to find out for myself (if it was non-invasive).

I'm no expert, but I have read about a machine called an fMRI that is supposed to be very advanced. (I can dig up the article if need be.)

Karen564
11-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Here is a link to a follow-on study that expanded on the original research. This second research paper has a larger number of samples as well as better variety. They included transwomen who did and did not take hormones, a transman as well as a couple natal female samples that had hormonal problems.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/85/5/2034

Sophia,
Thank You for the the additional information on this study, I think the more info on all this, is all for the better..

If anyone can find other TS related research articles with links that are factual to contribute would also be great to keep this thread going for others to review all in one area and then maybe eventually when there's enough info get a TS Medical Research knowledge-base sticky thread made here with just the links for future references..

:hugs:

Veronica_Jean
11-14-2009, 01:33 PM
I am what I am, and see no need to prove what I say I am..

WOW! I didn't realize you were Popeye too!:love:

Veronica

Karen564
11-14-2009, 02:05 PM
LOL,
yeah, Cats out of the bag now, Popeye is really a TS....LOL

AlisonRenee
11-15-2009, 02:41 AM
LOL,
yeah, Cats out of the bag now, Popeye is really a TS....LOL

I could believe that Olive Oyl is a CD. Poor girl's pretty short on curves.

MarieTS
11-15-2009, 03:50 AM
The reluctance to develop a method for testing live specimens probably rests with the insurance companies fears that if TS is shown to be a physical vs. mental condition they may have to fund treatment (srs). Perhaps Obama care will just provide "end-of-life-counselling :heehee:

Jessinthesprings
11-15-2009, 08:41 AM
i could be wrong about the details of this since I saw it a long time ago but, I saw something that doctors measured the brainwaves of males, women and MtF trasexuals using an MRI and they found that transexuals thought more like women than their male counterparts.