PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder?

katieblush
11-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Hi all,just a quick question or two has anyone been diagnosed with OCD upon trying therapy,and how has it affected your life,and how common is it to get this idea given to you by a therapist,it seems a fine line to me,one that could be used as a diversion if your to complex to treat,any ideas on this?

Dawn D.
11-12-2009, 04:26 PM
If I had a therapist that I wanted to talk with concerning my gender issues and they try to diagnose me with OCD in association to those issues, I'd run and, fast! I'd be looking for a new therapist. I'm not a therapist but, from what I do know, gender conflicts have nothing to do with OCD. OCD is a serious issue on it's own.

Dawn

Jeanna
11-12-2009, 04:52 PM
If I had a therapist that I wanted to talk with concerning my gender issues and they try to diagnose me with OCD in association to those issues, I'd run and, fast! I'd be looking for a new therapist. I'm not a therapist but, from what I do know, gender conflicts have nothing to do with OCD. OCD is a serious issue on it's own.

Dawn
I agree totally!

CharleneT
11-12-2009, 11:38 PM
If you go in for therapy, you may get surprises. It is foolish to go into it figuring that you know exactly what will happen and what they will say etc... why ask them then ? For HRT permission ? That's about it, maybe. Even though we think of therapists as gate keepers most of the time, they can also be skilled helpers.

Many people who are trans also have other problems. I've read in many places where they are trying to find a relationship between us and some malady. Problem is that we are similar to each other due to something other than a malady. Now sure, some - maybe many - of us have other problems. If your therapist finds one and you trust them, then pursue it and see if you can solve/deal with it.

Just for the record, there are a lot of folks out there who think all TS people are also Autistic ... bunk in my humble and non-expert opinion, but they can make a reasonable sounding argument for it.

OCD ? No, I do not have it. I do have a TS friend who does, but she doesn't belong here ( nor does she want to ). I'll ask her about it for you though. I have a dear friends whose life has been trashed by the results of OCD, if your therapist feels that you suffer from it, take the help.

Charlene

stefanie
11-13-2009, 03:37 AM
Wow! i never thought i would hear that again.

I saw a therapist some years back and she suggested that maybe i have OCD.....i really kind of freaked out...i stayed open to her thoughts but it certainly didn't see to fit me.

I still don't think it does but heck what do i know. She made me kinda of think that there was some magic pill i could take that might supress it....glad i did not go down that path.

Sammy777
11-13-2009, 04:37 AM
I'm sure there are probably a few things my therapist can say I might have, lol.
But OCD isn't one of them. :D

Melissa A.
11-13-2009, 06:59 AM
My roomate has OCD. It's great! She gets to everything before I even have a chance, and the place is always spotless!

Hugs,

Melissa:)

Riley_The_Riot
11-13-2009, 07:26 AM
I am transgendered.

I also have OCD, Tick Disorder, mild bulimia, depression, social anxiety disorder, and Intermittent Explosive disorder (or whatever it's called.)

Are they connected? Probably not.

I have my good days and my bad days, but 90 % of the time, I am a relatively happy and laid back person.

You can never let a label define you.

I am Riley, not a disorder.

Hephaestus
11-13-2009, 01:07 PM
:doh: ..Being diagnosed with OCD isn't a terminal illness >_> Not that big of a deal... I think a lot of people have it to a degree.
I don't even take anything for mine, I found willpower about as effective as pills... seems to me like they didn't have a pill that really fixes OCD, specifically, they just keep throwing meds at you until the OCD somehow is fixed, and pat themselves on the back. I finally stopped taking everything when a pill I was prescribed caused my eyes to roll back into my head and lock (an 'eye seizure', apparently.)

I think my psychologist and I briefly talked about it...
but then he knew I drove 2 hours to see him for his transgender credentials, and not the OCD I had under control.

katieblush
11-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Thank you all for your comments:) the reason i asked this subject,well on my travels over net i came across this OCD and TG so say link,myself i find it quite hard to combine the two as a cause for being TG.

Charlene,thanks for the wise words,i am awaiting to go to therapy,and its a little worrying at the moment and advice is a real help with coping.

katie

Leanne2
11-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Hi Katie,
I've never been diagnosed as having OCD but I do many of those things so I think I probably have a mild case. My wife is always asking me why I do certain things the way I do. I tell her that I just have to do things that way. She just shakes her head and walks away. I would get counseling about my trans gender issues before worrying about OCD. Besides, my wife likes the fact that I keep the house clean. Leanne

Beth-Lock
11-22-2009, 08:26 PM
OCD is a surprisingly vague diagnosis. It is not to be confused with the sort of obsessive compulsive behaviour that is classic. In fact, a lot of psychiatric diagnoses are vague, either by definition, or by the way they are used. I would diagnose myself many who get into saying that as having , 'psychiatrizing neurosis,' if not full-blown 'psychiatrizing delusions.' Psychiatry itself has its sick side.:tongueout