PDA

View Full Version : My own hair or stay with the wig

Richelle
11-13-2009, 06:07 PM
This past year has been interesting in that I have been working out of my house all year and have not traveled back to the corporate office in Long Island. That has allowed me to let my hair grow. :D I have not had it cut since January and it is now over my shoulders.

I do not get to get dressed very often and go out. However, the next opportunity I have been thinking about going with out a wig. Just my own long natural hair.

So what do you all think, should I or shouldn’t I.

Richelle

alexis GG
11-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Personally Richelle I think your own hair looks fine... To give it a bit of body.. blow dry your hair with your head upside down... that will fluff it out a little. Even if you don't do that your own hair looks far better IMHO

PretzelGirl
11-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Here are the thoughts running through my mind since I have grown my hair long.

Advantages of own hair - It is fun to play with it. If you can get skilled enough, you can do different looks. I thought it would be cheaper, but it depends on the hair care products you need.

Advantages of wigs - You can farm out the maintenance and just put it on. And the one I have been thinking about the most - I would think that if you get out and about, you would not be as easily recognizable if you had a wig vs your own hair. Everyone already knows you with long hair. Depends on your circumstances if this really matters.

Gennifer
11-13-2009, 06:49 PM
I have been having this debate with myself, too. I have grown out my hair, and the last couple of times I have tried on a wig, it didn't look right. The last time I dressed, I went with my own hair, which is not as long as yours (and my hairline has receded more), put on some light make up, and actually liked the effect better. I think Alexis' suggestion about blow drying is good. Also, I use a little styling gel before blow drying and that allows me to style a little as I go. But, bottom line, I like your natural hair better than the wig. Just have fun with it and try different styles.

Stephanie Miller
11-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Richelle you might want to try what I've been getting away with. My hair is just a tad longer than yours but in order to give it a little bit more body or for those times I want it to look a little bit more sassy I've been using clip on hair extensions. They match any hair color (or you can dye to match) come in different widths and lengths. I bought two sets. One that I put in and had the hair stylist cut to match my mid length so I would have more body and the longer set for the fun times. That way you get the best of both worlds. Short and long. For those that don't want to have (or can't have) longish hair to start with - the clips work in hair about "bob" length well. That way in guy mode you just have longer hair that combs back. But in girl mode it can go to the bra strap!

windycissy
11-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Richelle,

This is a tough one for most of us, but in your case I say go for it. Your hair is very pretty, you are blessed with a good hairline and with a little styling and body I'm sure you can pull it off. The next time we go to the mall together, you can prove it! It's been too long...

Cissy

joyce483
11-13-2009, 09:56 PM
i have shoulder length hair that i just tie back whenever i have to work and look like a driver.