PDA

View Full Version : First Time Out No Choice

WandaRae2009
11-15-2009, 11:40 AM
I was in my hotel room getting dressed and trying to work up the nerve to go out for the first time. I had purchased an acceptable wig (other than costume or the antique one from the thrift years ago) and couldn’t wait to try it out. Just finished getting ready and trying to get up the nerve and the fire alarm goes off. I thought the best choice was to quickly go to my car and exit the scene. Fortunately the hotel was not that full. I quickly went down the stairs, out the back door to the car. I quickly pulled out of the lot past the fire trucks on onto the street.

Now I am out, what to do? My shoes were feeling a little big so I went to Wal-Mart to get some insoles to make them fit a little better. I went in, no one seemed to notice or make any comments or gestures that I had been read. I was walking around and got nervous, so I decided to exit without purchasing anything. I then drove around a little more gaining never and decided to hit Target and do some shopping. I was feeling more at ease and shopped the clearance racks and then checked the shoe isle. There was a nice looking pair of boots, tried a pair on, but I really need a wide with. So I picked up a pair of insoles walked to the checkout. I was lucky, one line was finishing up so no waiting, the SA wrung up my purchase and I left without incident. I only think that I may have been read by a couple of teens in one of the isles.

I was feeling real brave and walked into the attached mall, thought I would hit the local Payless. Being a Friday night, it was quite crowed with a lot of teens. I thought what a mistake. I heard laughing, didn’t know if it was directed at me or I was just being paranoid. I made a beeline to the Payless. It was an extremely small store without much selection. It happened to be across from a direct exit that I wasn’t parked too far from. Made a quick exit back to the car with my heart beating.

I still needed to pick up dinner. I didn’t have the nerve yet to go in a restaurant alone. I looked up an Applebee’s on the GPS and made a Carside To Go Order. I used my male name and voice. I pulled up in the appropriate spot. The server brought out the order. I sensed a little shock in her voice when she saw me, but no negative comments. She even had to go back in to get utensils. I stopped for gas on the way back to the hotel in the rental since my flight was early in the morning. Went back to the hotel, enjoyed my salad and watched some TV and enjoyed the rest of the evening as Wanda.

I don’t think I would have ever attempted this without the support from this website.

Miranda09
11-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Well Wanda...even tho you almost literally had to be pushed out the door, it's nice to hear that you made the most of the experience and it turned out to be a positive one. Good for you. :)

AKAMichelle
11-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Way to go. Thank goodness for the fire alarm. :D

Christina Horton
11-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Just think the fire alarm was the kick in the tushy you needed to get out. You had no way to back out of it. Way to go girl. The next time you go out use your fem-voice all the time your out. Have fun next time.

DiannaRose
11-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Wanda, as nerve-wracking as that must have been for you at first, it sounds like it was a real confidence-builder for you. And I love that you didn't just hide in your car all evening (which I might have done), but really made the most of it.

Well done, Wanda! :)

kristinacd55
11-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Nicely done Wanda. I'll bet the next time will be a LOT easier! :)

Fran Moore
11-15-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm sure most of us have felt the fear and trepidation of taking that "first step" out the door, and I'm so glad that you made it out and back unscathed! As you found out, most people really don't notice (or care) as long as we are dressed appropriately for the occasion, and act normally (albeit heart pounding on the inside). Happy trails on your future outings!

Suzanne:)

windycissy
11-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Way to go, girl! You showed grace under pressure, which is Hemingway's definition of courage (by the way did you know Hemingway's mother made him dress as a girl?) and you did us, and yourself, proud.

trannie T
11-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Quite an evening for a maiden run. So glad you had a good time.

Yolanda_Voils
11-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Wow, I know that feeling, Pounding Heart, Sweating Palms, Shaking Legs:o

Thakfully you don't have a pending Heart condition as this certainly would have brought it out :)

Hugs
Yolanda

victoriamwilliams1
11-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Wow!

I know all that you described:)

SweetCaroline
11-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Well, you only have to do it once, and then it gets easier. From here on out you can always say "hey, I've done this before. What's the big deal". Glad you had a good time. :)

sherri
11-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Quite an evening for a maiden run. So glad you had a good time.That's what I was thinking! I'd been going out for 2 or 3 years before I got up the nerve to go into a mainstream store. Many kudos Wanda.

AmberLynn
11-15-2009, 06:48 PM
wow that is a great outing it sound's like "aside from the fire alarm :devil: maybe the cd god's have a since of humor or was the place really on fire? Im glad you had a good time,and dont worry about being read to much. I have started to wonder if being read is more in are head's then what it used to be years ago :doh: i had a thought and it hurt LOL. hope you next outing is just as fun with out the alarm

Sally2005
11-16-2009, 02:44 AM
...and when you got back to your hotel room, all that was remaining was a pile of ashes...

haha. Glad you had fun.

Tasha McIntyre
11-16-2009, 03:58 AM
Sounds like you had your nerves well under control Wanda, well done.....but beware, getting out and about is wickedly addictive.

Good luck, stay safe.

Tash

Lorna
11-16-2009, 04:49 PM
I once stayed in a small, rather seedy hotel near Paddington station. I had partially dressed - stockings and belt, half-slip - and put on my pyjama top, then lay on the bed watching TV. Fire alarm sounded....quick decision - stay in room (on ground floor) and hope it was false alarm? No - worried that someone would unlock the door to check the room. Solution? Hastily take off slip, don pyjama trousers, socks over stockinged feet, back into male shoes, coat on.....out into hallway...reach front door....alarm stops....false alarm....return to room.

No problem on that occasion but what if I had been fully dressed and there was a real fire? It made me think carefully next time I stayed in a hotel. In fact, there are often colleagues staying in adjacent rooms in hotels...so even more need for caution.

trepidatiousUK
11-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Just got up the nerve to go for a walk around the block... wife and kids are in bed. The rest of the neighborhood probably asleep ... chances of being caught out v. slim.
I think at this stage and in your circumstances, I'd probably have burned alive.. or "come out" in flames.

Glad it went well for you... do you have another outing planned or are you waiting for another fire alarm? given your first trip I'd be very interested to hear what you get up to next :-)

t

sherri52
11-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Good for you Wanda. A slow start but you picked up quickly and made a great night for yourself.

sherri
11-17-2009, 03:01 AM
No problem on that occasion but what if I had been fully dressed and there was a real fire? It made me think carefully next time I stayed in a hotel.Normally, it wouldn't be nearly as big a deal as you might think.

In fact, there are often colleagues staying in adjacent rooms in hotels...so even more need for caution.Ah well, that changes everything doesn't it?

carolinewalker_2000
11-17-2009, 05:34 AM
Sounds a bit extreme to arrange for the fire alarm to go off simply so that you could be tipped over the edge into going out!!! However, sounds like you had a fun time once you were out in the big wide world. Well done.

docrobbysherry
11-17-2009, 11:49 AM
I was HOPING to read that the hotel had burned. And all your drab gear with it! So that u were FORCED to remain en fem for your entire trip!:heehee:

Sounds like u had an exciting outing! How soon will u be going out again?

Jilmac
11-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Ahhh! Nothing like a fire alarm to get a girl out of the closet. :eek:

girlalex
11-17-2009, 03:36 PM
omg i can only imagine what went through your mind as soon as the alarm rang. i bet it was a thrill. your story kind of makes me think of the Matrix movie as if one of the people in the real world were tracking down your position and decided to turn the alarm on at the hotel you were in to purposely out you. honestly what are the chances for a hotel alarm to ring right when you got ready to go out. YOU ARE THE ONE.:brolleyes:

BethCD
11-17-2009, 03:48 PM
What Miranda said.........Glad it worked out well for you. I'll bet you're really hooked now,eh?
:o
Beth

peski
11-17-2009, 08:29 PM
How great I will try that early morning thing to get me out:brolleyes:

EveMarie
11-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Good thing it was just an alarm going off! What if you had to find another hotel to stay at for the night and fly home as Wanda?

nice to hear it was a happy enjoyable evening after all…

you go girl, and go, and go…

WandaRae2009
11-17-2009, 09:38 PM
I thought about that while I was out. What if there was no room to come back to. I did take the advise of another thread to carry drab clothes & Makeup remover just in case. I guess that is the old boy scout in me "be prepared"

I actually can't wait for another chance. It will be some time, since I only get out every few months on business trips. I am going to try real hard the next time to make it to a local event in my destination city on my next trip.

It's one promise I made to my SO that I would not go out locally. It has only been just over a year that I came out to her, and keeping the familly together is still the most important think to me.

Thank you all for the wonderful comments and support. This group has been so helpful since joining.

TJ Tresa
11-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Congradulations on an evening well spent. I'm glad things went well, I would have been nervous as a long tailed cat in a rocking chair factory.

Jacky Aikou
11-17-2009, 11:06 PM
You know what they say... Everything happens for a reason! :heehee:
We have that fire alarm to thank for propelling another sister out among us. And it sounds like you had a wonderful first trip.

I hope this is the first of many "Wanda"-rings.
(forgive me -- it's late and I'm silly :doh:)
Enjoy!