PDA

View Full Version : ?? for those who are or have had voice therapy

CharleneT
11-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Hey, I'm just starting out with speech therapy to help create a more feminine and real sounding voice. For the next three weeks I can't meet with the therapists (just chance), what I'm wondering is if anyone knows of a decent free program that will show the frequency of what is coming in thru the microphone to my computer ? Like the software they use at the clinic ( which I can't use for 3 weeks...). It needs to at least be able to show the frequency that is coming in and preferably allow me output a specific frequency ?? Those that I have found so far show the input wrst volume and frequency, making it hard to see what I'm after. I am sorry if I am not making this very clear, don't understand it that well myself ;-)

thanks in advance for any and all help...

Stephenie S
11-15-2009, 04:58 PM
There are inexpensive musical tuners which will do this quite nicely. Go to a guitar store or a music store and tell them what you want. Don't get into it about WHY you want it. Tell them you're taking up music if you must, but it's really no one's business.

I have one by SEIKO. I think it cost about $30.00 or so.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Veronica_Jean
11-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Hi.,

that is the one I bought for just this purpose.

Veronica

CharleneT
11-15-2009, 10:51 PM
There are inexpensive musical tuners which will do this quite nicely. Go to a guitar store or a music store and tell them what you want. Don't get into it about WHY you want it. Tell them you're taking up music if you must, but it's really no one's business.

I have one by SEIKO. I think it cost about $30.00 or so.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Thank you :) I was hoping to find a free ware program, save a few $$ for electro (unfortunately I have healthy beard!). I have seen tuners like that on Ebay, $30 is the normal price. Although I suppose I could sell it afterwards to some guitar player ?? !!

I don't care if they know why I want it ... :)

Zenith
11-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Have you tried Praat? It uses a microphone hook up and allows the frequency to be analyzed by your computer... It's what I use...and it is free...the speech pathology people use the Visi-Pitch II which is more dynamic...

http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/praat/

Julie.

CharleneT
11-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Stepenie -- hey, you gave me an idea though ... instead of searching on terms like "frequency analyser" I tried "guitar tuner" and found one that is ok .. THANKS !! :thumbsup:

Julie, I just went out and downloaded PRAAT. WOW, very nice ! A tad clumsy, a lot of that is not knowing much of how it works. It looks fine for what I need. The folks I work with here use the Visi-Pitch as well... not sure which model (other than it is an old instrument, think it is still DOS).

Thank all !!!

Saika
11-16-2009, 06:04 AM
Had a look around for something free as well and came across this one ::

http://www.genderlife.com/voicetutor/

I have not looked at the program yet though so can't say how useful it is. Will wander over and have a look at praat now :)

Katesback
11-17-2009, 11:43 AM
For me I found that trial by fire was the way to go! What I mean is when I took the plunge there was really no turning back, there was very little training wheel usage, I didnt spend much time in the kiddie pool.

What I am getting at is that I went all out and in my opinion when you give it a 100% effort in transition you will find that you automatically learn to develop a voice that is acceptable. The fact is that when your basic survival and integration into society are in question you will do WHATEVER it takes.