PDA

View Full Version : Pedicure trip

joank
11-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Yesterday I dressed in women's slacks and a sweater with blazer, did a slow muted job on my make-up, styled my nap of the neck wig (very conservative)and went to Temecula, CA for a pedicure. I tried to do my resarch on price and would they do trans people. I was surprised at one of the answers, a flat out NO. I realize that some folks just won't handle us but considering the current economy---.

I also had great trouble making myself understood to the techs answering the phone (most were Asian and had very broken English plus my slight hearing issue made communication difficult).

I finally stirred up the courage and went to the most expensive salon (Red Persimmons on Overland Dr.). I walked in, was pleasantly greeted and asked to sign in. Then to the chair for the foot bath and pedicure. Although the tech was competent there was never an attempt at conversation other than move the foot. This may have been a language barrier or just shyness.

After the polish was on the toes, I was led to a seperate area drying, but was not told how long it would be (I forgot to ask). I sat there for 30 to 40 minutes and finally I got upon my own, paid and left. During this entire time no one talked to me although there was almost no business going on in the shop.

Was I ignored by the staff? Was the is too long a drying time?--no setting lamp was used.

I did not have a good time of it. The only person who treated me with any respect was the man at the cash register. I was ready to establish a regular trip to this salon (monthy) but I just do not feel I was treated well. I was also uncomfortable with the non-English talk by my tech while she was working on me. What was she talking about?

Am I being too sensative? I don't pass up close but my money is good old US cash. I would rather be refused service and be embarrased once rather than be uncomfortabe for the 90 minutes I was there.

Shadeauxmarie
11-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Sorry you had such an unpleasant experience. You are the customer and you deserve to be treated better when you're spending money in an establishment. I suggest trying several shops until you find one you're comfortable with. It seems that in my neck of the woods, nail places are openinng every month. So with stiff competition for consumer dollars, the only thing that sets them apart is customer service.

VickysBFF
11-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Hi Joann: Sorry to hear that it was not a great time.
I have gone in drab to a nail salon in the Pacific NW where the techs were all Asian and they were very nice and polite and not rude in any way but there was little conversation; I think that is more of a language/cultural thing.
I have gone en femme to other salons for hair, nails and other services and not had any issues.
I am surprised that you had issues at what was the most expensive place; usually you get what you pay for and I have generally found that places that charge a little more have better service.

AmberLynn
11-18-2009, 01:53 PM
sound's like to had a horrable time :sad: it is quite possable there was a lang barrier there. I used to go to a chines resturnt up in muscatine a while back run buy asian/chinesse woman and they could only ask what drink i wanted and how many in the party,that was it.

if you dont feel comfertable there by all mean's try somewhere eles. Ill be ventureing the out road soon and im not looking forward to being misstreaded either. your money is just as good as the next persons

Jamie001
11-18-2009, 01:53 PM
I have always had very good experiences in nail salons talking with the nail techs and talking with other customers while my toes are drying in the nail dryer. It is also important to note that I dress androgynous but don't attempt to pass as a woman. I always bring my red nail polish and am treated well. Maybe the nail techs at the salon where you went are not conversant in English or they speak very little English. You should try another salon. Why not try a salon in Hemet that is clost to home?

Paula_56
11-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Sounds like it went OK, but even if you were GG, do you think you would go back?
No

Some places just suck at customer service

Post a thread asking the girls for a Salon in your area that welcomes TGs and will kiss a little padded ass (lol)

jenna_woods
11-18-2009, 02:31 PM
sorry you had a bad time, I think they were very rude to you, after all you were a customer.

sissystephanie
11-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Joan, come to Georgia and I will take you to the Salon I go to. The people ther are all Vietnamese, but they speak pretty good English. The best part is they treat me like a king, err make that a Queen. I always go dressed, but as is my usual way no wig or makeup. Just a guy in womens clothes!

Since I get both a pedicure and manicure every two weeks, I always request the same two young ladies to work on me. They really fuss over me, complimenting me on my clothes, and the colors I have picked out for my nails. Lena, who does my toes, will tell me if she thinks I have the wrong color to go with my outfit! My toes are always some shade of red! Right now they are bright red with silver tips! Real attention getters when I am wearing open toe sandals, which I do frequently.

Don't let your first experience, as bad as it apparently was, stop you from getting another pedicure. There are plenty of shops, and lots of them are very good! BTW, don't bother asking if they will nails for a Trans person. Just go in and tell them what you want done. All the shops want to make money, and I doubt if they care whether it is from a man or a woman! I am not the only man who goes to the salon I use, although I am the only man who goes in wearing a skirt!!:D And probably the only man who goes out with red toenails!!:heehee:

meri
11-18-2009, 02:45 PM
I too have had very good experiences in shops in Ohio and Florida. All of my techs have been Vietnamese, but other than a few difficult words, the experience was very good.

Much depends on your attitude as you walk in, if you are open, warm, friendly, etc., then you will receive in-kind treatment. If you are worried, fearful and expecting rejection, then that will be reflected back at you.

It's hard to be dressed or partially dressed and be confident, open, warm, friendly and so on. It takes practice to develop that frame of mind.

Step back and see how you behave around other people when dressed as a guy, then take a look at yourself when dressed enfemme. Figure out where you need improvement and practice. It does get easier!

sherri52
11-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Joan: Sorry you had such a bad experience with your pedi. That was a once in a million ordeal. Most places would love to have your business and I think you should seek those out. I wouldn't think twice about writing a letter to the manager of both places. Business is business and as a store owner everything the customer wants within reason the customer gets. If they want me to try a dress on for thier mother or daughter, I'll do it ( oh wait, that's fun anyway ). In any case I'm sure the managers will not be happy. Bad news travels much faster than good, and they don't need the bad publicity.

joandher
11-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Hi after being treated like that the only tip i would be leaving is dont cross the road when a bus is comming,after all a tip is for good polite service
:hugs:

J-JAY

SuzanneBender
11-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Sorry it went bad for you hun. I get pedis both dressed and endrab now and the worst experience I had was a young lady grilling me about why I was transgender whie she massage my piggies.

Don't go back there. Many salons do a wonderful job and a pedi shouldn't cost and arm and a leg either.

unclejoann
11-18-2009, 08:42 PM
I have heard of a nail salon in Temecula that has at least one mail on staff. I wonder if that would be a better choice? I believe he is Asian, I don't know his orientation, but he might be glad to see you. I learned about him just before I quit going to Temecula regularly, so never did visit that salon and I forget the name now.

Patty
11-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad experience.
I get my nails filled every three weeks along with getting a pedicure
they are an Asian family-all sisters--have been going there 2-3 yrs
I only wear fem shorts when there-do not dress up
Just go to another shop

Danni Kay
11-19-2009, 12:07 AM
I think you just need to look around more. It took a while before I found a beauty salon I really liked. I've been snickered at, or met with disbelief in the past (I was told once: "but then you'll look like a GIRL!" -exactly!). I had to talk one place into giving me an eyebrow wax (she was concerned they'd "look like a lady's"), and another place into giving me acrylic nails (I think they convinced themselves I was doing it for a bet or dare)--needless to say I didn't come back to those places. You don't need to go to the most expensive places either; a lot of the mid-range ones are just fine.

The vietnamese woman I see now is very nice and supportive, and does my nails, eyebrows, and other waxing every three weeks. She has also helped me with my make-up when I've brought it in, and bought a tube of lipstick and some lipliner for me once. She's very accepting and doesn't think anything of me coming in dressed. (I usually come in capris, a blouse, open-toed pumps, earrings, and make-up. Everything but a wig. I've recently started carrying a purse).

It helps to find someone good, develop a rapport, and tip well!! Become more comfortable with yourself and it will make it easier.

marny
11-19-2009, 12:28 AM
I had a place where I went to get a pedicure and the professional who took care of me was very good. my fourth visit. She went out to the front to check on things while I was drying and waiting for colors. Some youngster who worked there thought it was hillarious and laughed. A: I don't understand why the very experiencied tech shared my situation with more or less children. B: I won't be back

Hope
11-19-2009, 01:54 AM
Your experience was perhaps typical, but not acceptable in even the slightest sense of the word.

It's an easy fix - don't go back.

joank
11-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Ladies,
Thank you to all who have replied and given advice. I first want to say, I will NOT be going back to this establishment. I will be looking for another which will better fit my wants and needs. I have no problem with limited English speakers as I have been a career educator in CA for a long time and this is a common situation here in SoCal.
JoAnn, If you remember the name, please share.

tamarav
11-19-2009, 07:29 PM
I have been a customer at a number of nail salons over the years and have had very similar experiences at a few. Youy really can't go to places that have limited language skills and expect them to engage you in a long conversation about anything. At the most, they should be able to nod and smile, which you probably won't see if they are wearing their face mask.

I hear the same complaints from TG and TS clients in the salons I work in. Even though all of us feel that we are the center of the universe, a lot of people just don't care or are so dim that all they can do is talk about themselves, their boyfriend, girlfriend, etc.

If I am working on a client, I talk with them and we usually get a good conversation going. I have a couple of local judges that book with me simply because I can talk with them. I may do a crappy haircut but I can talk!

The majority of nail salons in my area are Vietnamese run and some of them have good language skills while others don't. My current nail salon recognizes me and calls me "Temi" and that is about it. I just sit there and they do their work, I pay and leave. You simply can't communicate well with them unless you switch to Vietnamese. I occasionally speak Vietnamese with some of the nail artists but my accent and pronunciation suffers from lack of use and I can't remember a lot of words, after all it was 30 plus years ago.

Hemet and Temucula and the high desert areas are not known for their tolerance of much of anything. I was raised in Lancaster and it was and still is about the same. I wouldn't travel hours just to get nails done, but I would look around and find a nice hair salon that also does nails and talk with them.

Rianna Humble
11-19-2009, 07:46 PM
Yesterday I dressed in women's slacks and a sweater with blazer, did a slow muted job on my make-up, styled my nap of the neck wig (very conservative)and went to Temecula, CA for a pedicure. I tried to do my resarch on price and would they do trans people. I was surprised at one of the answers, a flat out NO. I realize that some folks just won't handle us but considering the current economy---.

I know exactly what you mean - I was looking around Brighton in the UK (one of the more broad-minded areas in southern England) but still got rejections from a couple of places :sad:

I finally stirred up the courage and went to the most expensive salon (Red Persimmons on Overland Dr.). I walked in, was pleasantly greeted and asked to sign in. Then to the chair for the foot bath and pedicure. Although the tech was competent there was never an attempt at conversation other than move the foot. This may have been a language barrier or just shyness.

I wouldn't be put off by this, you're probably right about the shyness - did you try to start up a conversation?

After the polish was on the toes, I was led to a seperate area drying, but was not told how long it would be (I forgot to ask). I sat there for 30 to 40 minutes and finally I got upon my own, paid and left. During this entire time no one talked to me although there was almost no business going on in the shop.

Was I ignored by the staff? Was the is too long a drying time?--no setting lamp was used.

Must be a posh place - my regular salon doesn't have a separate drying area. When the different treatments are finished, you can sit around for as long as you want (unless you go just at closing time).

You don't always need a setting lamp, my manicurist tells me they only use theirs for acrylics.

I did not have a good time of it. The only person who treated me with any respect was the man at the cash register. I was ready to establish a regular trip to this salon (monthy) but I just do not feel I was treated well. I was also uncomfortable with the non-English talk by my tech while she was working on me. What was she talking about?

Am I being too sensative? I don't pass up close but my money is good old US cash. I would rather be refused service and be embarrased once rather than be uncomfortabe for the 90 minutes I was there.

I think you just got unlucky but please don't be put off by this. I am always dressed when I go to my salon, but they know me by my boy name and are completely cool about it.