PDA

View Full Version : Sharring some secrets

Katesback
11-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Hi there everyone:

First of all I am TS and I actually work in HIV prevention targeting the transgender population. As you might guess I come in contact with a lot of people in the community.

Sometimes I get asked questions, questions I see recurring in this site. Usually these questions revolve around tips and tricks to success in your presentation. One could write an entire book on the subject (actually it has already been done) and thats not my goal. What I will do however is offer a few little tricks that might help you in your presentation to the world.

A little background here. I have gone to Southern Comfort rolling up there on my motorcycle with ONE bag containing all my stuff! I have sat in the lobby and watched girls show up with TRAILERS of stuff! I have know a lot of CDs over the years and have seen thier collections of stuff. I can honestly say that most have ten times the makeup and clothes I personally have!

By now I think you are getting the picture and now it is time for the tips and tricks.

1. Get a makeover by a makeup professional and learn, buy, and use the products they suggest (I love MAC). You dont need boxes and boxes of makeup! Finally practice. Makeup is an art and ya need to learn how to do it.

2. Buy clothing you WILL wear and can present to the world. You dont need a ton of things! Separates can be mixed to make other outfits.

3. The VOICE! Yes the big roadblock that sooo many people have. There is a lot of stuff out there to help you get that female voice but lets face it being a cd means that you likely arent presenting a female too often so that voice training is not likely to be much help. On the other hand I do have a VERY simple tip that anyone can do and it dramatically helps with the voice. Are you ready? Forget about the tone and pitch of your voice, Instead when you talk simply slow down a bit and emphasize words at your choosing. Instead of talking monotone like a guy talks throw in emphasis on words.

An emample might be:

Guy= I went to the park the other day for a picnic and it was fun.

Girl= I went to the parkkkkkk and we haddddddddd a picnic. We had a wonderfullllllllllllllll timeeeeeeeee.

The extensions to the words are there to show where you might choose to emphasize words. Notice that by doing this there is no tone change to worry about, you are simply playing with the words. The big secret is you automatically change your tone to some degree when you start playing with words.

4. You are what you are! Yes that is correct, if you think of yourself as being out of place then I guarantee you will be seen as out of place. If you accept who you are and walk with confidence you will be treated accordingly. I am way post operative and to this day occasionally get clocked! It is just part of the game! You smile and live your life.

Ok so thats it for now. I have to get back to work.

Katie

jenna_woods
11-19-2009, 10:32 AM
thanks for the great advice, you are right on everything.

Kaitlyn Michele
11-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Kate you are so right about the voice..

it is a huge part of it to actually allow your voice to flow instead of jump out of your mouth..

to practice it ..think valley girl which is a highly exaggerated but easy way to think of it.

i also find that if i meet people and i'm quiet and inward i end up feeling more nervous and more like "they know!!! OMG!!" but if i can just relax and engage people it goes better for me..

AllieSF
11-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Good advice Katie. However, one thing I would like to comment on. Most of us here are CD's in various stages of personal development and growth in this side of out lives. You are a post op TS for several years if I remember correctly what I read in one of your posts. I also have a close TS friend who once told me that the clothes are more important to me as a CD and less imprtant to her as a TS, which makes great sense. You have had years of practice in makeup, dressing and living life 24/7 as the woman you are. I, on the other hand, am only 3 years into this discovery trip and learning something new almost everyday. One of the joys of all this is the creating new looks that I like for me using all those extra skirts and tops that I have. So, when I travel and take Allie along with me, I inevitably take too many of Allie's things along that are not really needed. Unfortunately, I also do that for the real me too. Maybe one day I will be able to trim everything down. However, right now I don't want to. I enjoy and want to experiment with "my" looks. Thanks again for the tips.

Karren H
11-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I agree with Allie... For me its all about the clothes... And so if I want to have a lot I will.. Ones I'll never wear out in public but it gives me pleasure to have them.. Same with makeup and you don't even want to know of the 28 wigs! Hell my wife gets on me for buying tools I will never use! and hockey equipment.. Reminds me I need a new stick.. :)

Shelly Preston
11-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Kate while I agree with some of what you have said
You being TS will know its a process of evolution and it takes time

All our members are at different stages of their personal development

If someone want a trailer load of clothes that's their choice
It could be they want a chance to wear as many outfits as they can because its the only chance they get

We are all different and some of us not being TS may mean a different perception

Deborah Jane
11-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Forget about the tone and pitch of your voice, Instead when you talk simply slow down a bit and emphasize words at your choosing. Instead of talking monotone like a guy talks throw in emphasis on words.

An emample might be:

Guy= I went to the park the other day for a picnic and it was fun.

Girl= I went to the parkkkkkk and we haddddddddd a picnic. We had a wonderfullllllllllllllll timeeeeeeeee.

Does this mean I won't get made as a guy, but I'll get made as a girl with a speech impediment?

I don't know any women who emphasise words in that way and talking that way will get you made for sure!!