PDA

View Full Version : High Maintenance?

SuzanneBender
11-19-2009, 10:57 AM
I went shopping yesterday. Macy’s big one day only sale rocked! Spent three hours trying on stuff and filled the trunk of my car with a bounty that would make Quenn Elizabeth smile. It is one of my joys in life. I work hard and it makes it all worth it when I can stimulate the economy in ways that I did last night.

However, I have notice something as I evolve as my femme self. I used to have no issues with labels. I was happy with any female frock. Now even though I am not 24-7 and I am not made of money I have become a label/style fashionista. Thank goodness for Dillards, Macys, Sax and Nordies outlet stores or I would have to find another job.

I love shopping, especially when I bag the illusive prey of a designer piece at a ridiculous discount. However, I have to twist my wife's arm to get her to by anything for herself. My side of the vanity looks like the Loreal and Garnier warehouse. It makes me feel so darn guilty. Why can’t I be happy with the cute top I find at Target.......!

Is anyone else wrestling with this or am I just too high maintenance for my own good?

Katesback
11-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Sounds like you are becomming a princess!!! MY only concern (that I see sooo many CDs doing) are you going to REALLY wear these things. I have cd friends that has SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much stuff and I just stand there shaking my head.

On the other hand I being TS have what I need. I buy clothes ONLY if I am going to wear them. I buy makeup ONLY if I am going to use it. I buy shoes Only of I will wear them.

Katie

suchacutie
11-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Tina is without a doubt a high-maintenance girl! I have more heels than my masculine side has shoes! Make-up....sheesh: I went from nothing to two gallon ziplock bags full of the stuff, and my bathroom sink now looks just like my gf (HIS wife!).

Clothes? I don't buy that many, so I watch the sales at VS, Venus, Newport News, etc. using the wish lists to see the prices drop til I can justify them!

As I've said before, no one would live like this if they weren't driven by a need for their feminine side!!!

I'm so glad you started this thread and that avatar is just incredible, Suzanne!!!

tina

Karren H
11-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Nope... Not at all.. The thousands I spend on clothing and makeup a year are in the same range on what I spend on ice hockey... And don't even make it on my wifes radar... I lost more than that combined in the stock market today.. Sigh... and no one ever said looking pretty was cheap or easy!

But we do need coal miners, Suzanne! Though we don't have the BBQ you guys have!! Lol. :D

5150 Girl
11-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Well, There is a certain degree of matainance erquierd to be a M2F CD/TG.
I count my lucky stars Goodwill is only a block away!

Lorileah
11-19-2009, 11:35 AM
However Karren I have been described as pretty cheap and easy :)

I am a princess (see signature) but it doesn't include labels. A girl should have a few high end frocks (a good LBD for sure) but unless the wrestle you down in the ladies room and tear your clothes away, most knock offs are passable for everyday and clubbing wear (I want to meet the socialite CD here who goes to the soiree of the season dressed:)). Isn't there a rule that if you wore an outfit once to a party, you should never wear it again? As to Macy's, one year I was shopping for clothes for my wife. I found a beautiful top at Macy's for 49.99 (sale). Being the cheap tightwad I am I left it and went to Sears where low and behold the same top different label was 19.99 (full price). I even took the Sears top to Macy's and held them side by side. No difference. I have found many similar items at lower cost stores that were virtually identical to Macy's and Dillard's (Saks now is another story) except maybe an applique or trim. Since I won't be dining with the Vanderbilts soon, the girls at the bar don't really care :). Face it we usually only wear the outfit a few times not like guys who wear the same thing daily. :)

Persephone
11-19-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm not much of a label maven, Suzanne, but I am definitely high maintenance.

My spouse has very practical clothes for the most part, all neatly tucked in one closet. Her vanity table is pretty much bare and she uses very little makeup. She never wears nailpolish and has no interest in having a pedicure.

My clothes have taken over three closets, an additional two tiered hanging rack, and one cabinet. My bathroom vanity is a profusion of perfumes, cremes, make-up, and flowers.

I have my nails done every other week, my eyebrows tinted and waxed once a month, hair once a month, and a pedicure every six weeks.

High maintenance may not even begin to describe it!

Hugs,
Persephone.

SuzanneBender
11-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Sounds like you are becomming a princess!!! MY only concern (that I see sooo many CDs doing) are you going to REALLY wear these things. I have cd friends that has SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much stuff and I just stand there shaking my head.

On the other hand I being TS have what I need. I buy clothes ONLY if I am going to wear them. I buy makeup ONLY if I am going to use it. I buy shoes Only of I will wear them.

Katie

Katie I am very good about cycling my clothes in an out of the closet and I wear every piece I buy. I don't wear them as much as my male clothes, but I subscribe to the rule that a girl shouldn't be caught in the same outfit twice. I am very good at mixing and matching pieces for different outfits.

Karren great point in your post. I wonder if giving up my motorcycle would help me get rid of some of the guilt.

Princess Lorileah I understand your point exactly. The same thing happened to me last night. I walked out of Macy's went to JC Penney's and found the same pair of fashion tights with a different label for 15.00 less. I wrote it off as they werent X brand and I saw X brand in Marie Claire, but it still bothered me. Maybe I should look at this from the point of I could buy more stuff if I didn't have to have the exact label from the magazine.

Its nice to know I am not the only high maintenance fashionista diva out there.

Lorileah
11-19-2009, 03:36 PM

Katie

Not sure if I like that statement Katie. How does being TS make one more frugal or a better, smarter shopper? I am sure that you didn't mean it in a bad way, but honestly,I am sort of getting a little annoyed at the TS people putting themselves above everyone else on these boards. It really sounds like what people associate with being "male". I only buy.... isn't that the male stereotype? Oh and by the way I have 12 pairs of shoes and I do wear them :2c:

Katesback
11-19-2009, 03:44 PM
How do you see what I wrote as being a put down? I would say the exact same thing to ANY woman who had a ton of stuff comparred to me. It is just my perspective and nothing more.

carolinoakland
11-19-2009, 04:04 PM
there are some places that i"ve finally admited that I just go in empty my wallet onto the counter and they tell me when I'm done. I once thought that after I settled on one gender presentation I'd only have to maintain one wardrobe, sorry, just found more stuff to buy. I love being a girl. I love that I can just about do anything I want and the only thing I need to say about it is.... " Because I wanted to..." carol.

Karren H
11-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Karren great point in your post. I wonder if giving up my motorcycle would help me get rid of some of the guilt.

Yeah!! And giving me your bike would kill two birds with one stone!! Probably kill me too..

Funny but when it comes to some things like home remodeling or working on the car people say I'm handy... But my wife says I'm a cheap ass! When it comes to fem things I spend way too much but then again I can and I don't feel an ounce of remorse or guilt!! :)

kellycan27
11-19-2009, 05:21 PM
I work in a professional setting and my employer wants our company to project an image of success, and know how. From the cars we drive to the clothes we wear,right down to hair and make-up. I shop for my business attire at stores like Neiman Marcus, Saks 5th Avenue, Macy's, etc. A lot of times while shopping in those higher end places I might find a cute blouse,skirt,dress or pair of shoes and I buy them. Sure you can find nice things at the lower end stores, but you really can't beat the more expensive designers for style and fit. I can't afford to buy entire wardrobes from these stores, but what I do buy is top shelf and tends to hold up better than the bargain brands. I buy mac make-up, get my nails re-done weekly, polish,fills ..whatever,and I spend upwards of $150.00 to get my hair colored and trimmed. I don't have anything against Express or forever 21 either.
Am I high maintenance? You're damn right I am, and I am worth every cent!

Lorileah
11-19-2009, 05:39 PM
How do you see what I wrote as being a put down? I would say the exact same thing to ANY woman who had a ton of stuff comparred to me. It is just my perspective and nothing more.

But the perspective categorized all CD's. I am sure there are TS's who have way too many clothes also. That's all.

SarahLynn
11-19-2009, 06:15 PM
I am sure there are TS's who have way too many clothes also. That's all.

No argurment there Princess, however one question: Is there such a thing? :eek::eek::eek:

SuzanneBender
11-19-2009, 08:28 PM
my point exactly! And now I know save on the label and buy more

docrobbysherry
11-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Or, so I THOT! Most of my outfits r worn ONCE! For maybe 15 minutes. Then, they get put away for YEARS!:)

For my pics at home, I can wear almost anything, in any condition, and it OFTEN looks GREAT!:heehee:

Then, I started to pack for the SCC. People would see my outfits up close, for the first time!:eek:

I suddenly discovered my entire ROOMFULL of ladies things was CRAP!:doh:

NOW, after 12 years of CDing, I finally understand why folks buy quality clothes!:o

sherri52
11-19-2009, 08:59 PM
For me it's nice to have the labels; but if I see something in a thrift store that looks like it was made for me, then it's mine.

SuzanneBender
11-20-2009, 12:39 AM
Or, so I THOT! Most of my outfits r worn ONCE! For maybe 15 minutes. Then, they get put away for YEARS!:)

For my pics at home, I can wear almost anything, in any condition, and it OFTEN looks GREAT!:heehee:

Then, I started to pack for the SCC. People would see my outfits up close, for the first time!:eek:

I suddenly discovered my entire ROOMFULL of ladies things was CRAP!:doh:

NOW, after 12 years of CDing, I finally understand why folks buy quality clothes!:o

Darling you looked great at SCC

Alice B
11-20-2009, 07:40 PM
In the make up department I have far more than my wife, including nail colors. She has more clothing, but she is ultra conservative in her clothing and mine is more sexy. She has more shoes, but my heels are higher, etc. I like quality in my clothes and select based upon what I like and feel will look good on me. Not the label because I do not follow woman's labels. I could be high maintance, but it would cut into my golf money.

Cami desiree
11-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Boy (or should I say girl) are we alike, especially the part where our SO's will not spend the same kind of money for themselves. I urge her to go shopping, but she just isn't into fashion like I am. I am still building my wardrobe as I promised her that I wouldn't wear any of her clothes, so my urge to keep buying is a little out of control of late, but I try to be very aware of what I'm spending. We both went out the other day and she helped me pick out some nice tops and I finally got her to buy a couple tops and jeans. I often go to T J Maxx where I find some great deals with some name labels. I also have forund the local thrift store a huge surprise to find cool stuff at virtually nothing and name labels. I've found some awesome feminine lounge pants (with acetate fabric) that I just love.

Sherry-Stephanie
11-21-2009, 06:54 PM
"Twiddly Dumb"....think I'll stay out of this one....!!!!