PDA

View Full Version : What is your employer's attitude?

O2B Barbara
11-20-2009, 04:55 PM
I work for a midwestern utility (electric and gas) called Alliant Energy that is predominately in Wisconsin & Iowa. My employer has made several attempts to indicate that they are GLBT friendly and will tolerate absolutely no harassment or negative comments from employees regarding anyone in the GLBT community, fellow employees or otherwise. There is a group that is mentioned on the company web site called AEPride for the GLBT employees. While I have seen a fair amount of diversity training and material as to Alliant's position of total acceptance, I have not seen a 'coming out' of the GLBT community. Attempts to get in contact with individuals of this group have not produced any results for me. I admit I am still in the closet at work so have not helped the promotion of this group.

My first question is what are other reasonably large corporations doing to promote acceptance and how 'out' are their employees?

And second, I am wondering if there are any fellow Alliant Energy employees on the forum?

Starr
11-20-2009, 10:25 PM
There are several companies that are coming out as diversity companies but the real teller is do they include gender presentation in their diversity statement. There is also a web site on workplacediversity that list jobs and companies that have great diversity statements.

sissystephanie
11-20-2009, 10:29 PM
I work for myself, so my employer is totally accepting of my Crossdressing!!:heehee:

AmberLynn
11-20-2009, 11:58 PM
I work for myself, so my employer is totally accepting of my Crossdressing!!:heehee:

Same here,self employed handy man,and since i get dirty a lot,i dont even underdress while working. Id hate to get all the sewer uck and that on my bra's and panties

marny
11-21-2009, 12:03 AM
unions bite. big government bites. can you tell I am small business

lingerieLiz
11-21-2009, 12:21 AM
I don't know about Sears today, but 10 years ago they had a very liberal policy about diversity. I was doing some consulting for them, corporate, and was asked to attend one of their diversity training sessions. Several of their employees were very open about their status. Have no idea how the stores were and what changed when K'Mart took over.

Karren H
11-21-2009, 07:54 AM
The energy company I work for isn't people friendly let along GLBT friendly...

janelle
11-21-2009, 07:57 AM
unions bite. big government bites. can you tell I am small business

Its not only little unions & small business, it large 1's also. Mine has done nothing for me except take my dues. SUXS!!!!!!!!!!!

Ugly Michele
11-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Not sure about AE but brother works for AEP had a co worker go through a sex change, they made everyone go through training for when she came back to work on how she was to be treated.

JenniferR771
11-21-2009, 08:11 AM
I had a cd (maybe TS) friend at General Motors. She (he) was helping to write the Human Resources policy statement on GLBT situations. I lost touch. I am not sure how it all worked out.

Well I searched and found a few more facts about GM Plus.

http://wiki.gmnext.com/wiki/index.php/The_History_of_GM_PLUS,_GM%E2%80%99s_Lesbian,_Gay, _Bisexual_and_Transgender_Employee_Affinity_Group

Jennifer in CO
11-21-2009, 08:25 AM
When I transitioned back in 79 my employer threatened anyone who couldn't "deal with this" to walk out the door now or he'd fire 'em. I now work for myself so employee/employer relations are just fine...

Jenn

flatlander_48
11-21-2009, 02:11 PM
My company has had an LGBT employee resource group for about 10 years now. It's about 20 members, of which half or a bit more are allies. By and large the company is quite supportive. Our group sponsor is our CTO and we also have a strong ally in our CFO. However, for a company that employees maybe 7000 to 8000 employees within 25 miles of where I'm sitting right now and maybe 25000 globally, you can see that it is a very tiny number. But, after finally getting GLBT questions on our periodic Climate Survey, we know that our true population is much larger than that. However, for many reasons, people choose not to come out. For the record, after being a member of the group for about 5 years, I finally came out to the members as a bisexual but not as a CD.

As a larger manufacturing company, we have people from all over the world and all over the US working in the local business offices, R&D facilities and external manufacturing sites. Any kind of diversity that you can think of is represented. But, because many of the manufacturing locations are in small rural towns, so there can be challenges for anyone other than white males. LGBT folks and their issues are 'way down the list.

I was fortunate to attend the 2009 Out and Equal Workplace Summit last month for the first time. My company has sent several people each year for a while now, but I have been out of the country for most of the last 5 years. GM Plus was mentioned above. They received the Outie Award for Resource Group of the Year, along with GLIFAA, the LGBT organization for the State Department and USAID. The O&E site is: http://outandequal.org/ and there is lots of information on this past conference as well as several of the more recent ones. Some of our members even led a workshop session this time.

The more we push for things like marriage equality, we find out exactly where folks hot buttons are. Ultimately you learn that you have to use all the tools you have, but 2x4's to the head usually have less than desirable effects (much as we'd like to use them!)...

Karen564
11-21-2009, 02:25 PM
My first question is what are other reasonably large corporations doing to promote acceptance and how 'out' are their employees?

Just ask, and you shall receive :)....http://www.hrc.org/issues/workplace/benefits/11832.htm

I've been self employed for 7 years, so the boss is very cool about it..LOL :D

:hugs:

Vickii*
11-21-2009, 03:24 PM
It's none of my employers business. I don't need to show up to work crossdressed to wash dishes.

Work is work. Play is play.

I realize that its different for other cd'ers, but that's where I'm at.

flatlander_48
11-21-2009, 04:00 PM
It's none of my employers business. I don't need to show up to work crossdressed to wash dishes.

Work is work. Play is play.

I realize that its different for other cd'ers, but that's where I'm at.

True, but becomes a different deal if you are in the process of transitioning. That's where legalities and workplace issues can come into play. As for as employee resource groups go, I don't think CDing is really included as such. When you talk about LGBT folks, these are all constants that are inherent. CDing may also be inherent, but we come and we go; we purge and start again. It isn't necessarily a constant and probably isn't something that needs to happen all the time. If it is, then I suspect that we would be a lot closer to transgendered.

janelle
11-21-2009, 04:28 PM
When I came out at work & transitioned all the said was this is the 1 & only restroom you can use until surgery & if anyone does anything to me that I do not like tell them."we have a no harassment policy" & we will fire them.

Right tell on my workers, get someone fired, which I could have done, & then try to work with everyone else, I DON'T THINK SO!

Because of their way of thinking, training is not needed. Now how blind is that. & my super great awesome union says, " they can do that". Alot of help, right, nothing but pains in the a??.

Sorry for getting uptight it just works me up when I think of them doing that & than turning around & saying the employee's are important & we want to help you all out, BS.

thanks for reading my rant.

Hugs, Janelle

Christinedreamer
11-21-2009, 07:17 PM
I have a good friend who works for Verizon. They have an excellent GLBT policy and he is a team leader. He travels the country for them partly as a tech teacher on computer systems and also as an organizer and teacher for the GLBT groups and the "sensitivity and diversity" programs that are required of all employees.

Verizon also has a program that pays our MCC church for the time he puts in as the church accompanist. It is a rather hefty monthly check for a small church.

Toni_Lynn
11-21-2009, 07:30 PM
My employer (one of the largest banks in the USA .. and one of the healthiest), is very GLBT friendly and has explicit policies regarding discrimination.

That said, I have one co-worker (a peer) who I believes suspects about me (she may have seen the shadow of a bra strap or over heard a conversation with my wife). She treats me like crap. I have mentioned her snotty attitude to my boss, not mentioning that I am a CDer, and have been told that the next time she says something or mistreats me, I am to immediately call the corporate hr ombudsman

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Samantha43
11-21-2009, 09:03 PM
I don't want to find out. I'll keep my hobby a secret.

Carroll
11-21-2009, 10:13 PM
I don't know about Sears today, but 10 years ago they had a very liberal policy about diversity. I was doing some consulting for them, corporate, and was asked to attend one of their diversity training sessions. Several of their employees were very open about their status. Have no idea how the stores were and what changed when K'Mart took over.

I work there and from what I have been told from our HR (who is also a really great girl) Sears has an anti-discrimination policy for the LGBT employees

DaphneGrey
11-22-2009, 09:36 AM
When I came out at work & transitioned all the said was this is the 1 & only restroom you can use until surgery & if anyone does anything to me that I do not like tell them."we have a no harassment policy" & we will fire them.

Right tell on my workers, get someone fired, which I could have done, & then try to work with everyone else, I DON'T THINK SO!

Because of their way of thinking, training is not needed. Now how blind is that. & my super great awesome union says, " they can do that". Alot of help, right, nothing but pains in the a??.

Sorry for getting uptight it just works me up when I think of them doing that & than turning around & saying the employee's are important & we want to help you all out, BS.

thanks for reading my rant.

Hugs, Janelle

They protected you as best they could from hostile employees, what could they have done to make things better? If it is not negotiated in your contract your union can only make sure your employer is following the law. Again what would you have them do?

It sounds like you still have your job, and also sounds like your company tried to protect you and make provisions for you during your transition. I know it probably wasn't easy but I am not sure what you are complaining about.

Jilmac
11-22-2009, 10:12 AM
I am retired from We Energies (also in Wisconsin) and I can say that they try to promote diversity in all areas of the business. However there are still some very macho departments and shops where employees will take every opportunity to harass a TG person. I knew a person who transitioned in the 70's while she worked as a truck and equipment mechanic and she put up with verbal abuse every day until she transferred into a department at the corporate offices.

I worked in the construction department and knew that I would be subjected to similar harassment from my co-workers if I had ever come out to any of them about my dressing. So even though the company was LGBT diverse, departmental co-operation and enfrocement was sporadic at best. I believe the public utilities are leaders in ethnic and gender diversity but more has to be done on an individual basis to accept all people.

janelle
11-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks Daphne,Hope I got it right, anyways. Our contract states the company can add coverage, they won't even talk about it with me & my union does not want to show tha company that statement to help with insurance.
Maybe I expect to much & than I know I don't. Those of us that transition just want to treated as any other woman. I can see not letting us use changing rooms before surgery if people are up tight but a restroom, come on. We just want to our business get. I have heard comments that "the other girls" are afraid I will look thru door cracks or other men may try to say they are going thru this just to get in.
I told the company no man could get in there unless they gave them a letter of treatment & that seemed to take care of that, I suggested the training so the ladies would understand what is going on. Again a flat out no by the company & the union said " do you really think we need this"
" we don't, live with it".
Now I ask if you were paying 12.00 a week for dues wouldn't you at least like a better answer than that. Maybe I have to be a bitch & when things are said that should not be turn them in & let the chips fall where they may. Thats not me & I am99.99999% sure I never could do it. So whats your great answer to fixing all this??? Like the union, live with it, thats life.
Don't get me wrong I understand where you are coming from but than don't leave open statements in contract your not willing to fight for( insurance claus).

Sorry for ranting.

Hugs, Janelle

cd_jamie
11-22-2009, 02:04 PM
I am a independant contractor/truck driver leased to a small company. they have no policy in place for glbt rights. so needless to say they have no clue i like wearing womens clothing.(yes I am rebuilding my stash) and its goona stay that way.

NathalieX66
11-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Corporate, family-oriented, and golfing oriented.....and those are just my friends.

cd300
11-22-2009, 02:14 PM
hi ladies,
i work for a large retailer and they also say they are all for diversity. i cant say i have seen anyone challenge this but i feel they mean it if someone did. its even in the dress code and as long as you are dressed as a man or women and you are in dress code u r fine.
Jessica

Loni
11-22-2009, 08:28 PM
The law says this, the law says that.

The company says this, the company says that.

But if your fellow workers say jump, Nuf said.

Most places if you do not fit the cookie cutter you get snufed out.
Were I work the union only wants my money, the company only wants more work out of me, nither would care beond what the law tells them they must do.
The other employies would just make life a "bitch" and you would have to move on. Hard to work in a place were those you relie on are trying as hard as they can to make your life hard.

So NO talk at work. No bra straps showing through the thin work uniform, No frilley panties, etc.

Life goes on.

catriona36
11-22-2009, 09:13 PM
The company I worked for, had numerous policies regarding all types of discrimination.
Under law, we cannot discriminate against any one for any reason..
We had one guy complain that NO ONE would talk to him. He was not bi, gay, cd, or tg. He was just a ****wit.
Management informed us that we had t o include him in OUR conversations if he wished..

Shame they didn’t stop him having the snot smacked out of him behind the trailers.
And that’s the reason I never came out as bi at work.. the management say “xyz” but in reality in the transport yard, “abc” is what’s done.
Yes there are laws against certain things being said or done to another person, but in reality, you don’t rock the boat.

Boss: person “x” says you discriminated against them..
Scumbag: no, and I have a witness. (that was never there )

I have seen this first hand. And in another matter (non discriminatory) been apart of it
Boss: to driver A: driver B says you smacked snot out oh him behind the trucks..

Driver A: no he fell,, ask driver C he saw it and so did drivers D,E and F
Cases dropped no more said about it.

I guess what I am saying is some people will follow the lie as not to rock the boat or to stand out from the crowd, be it in a discrimination case or
Any other. For me, here its not worth coming out about anything. But sadly that is the world we live in.
:blah:

Lainie
11-22-2009, 09:28 PM
and there is an active gay/lesbian employee's group in the US. I think they call themselves "SEAGULLS" or some such thing. The group sponsored an evening at the theater last year. And of course harassment is strictly forbidden.

However, that's a completely different issue from "If you came out at work, everyone would treat you just like they always did".

DaphneGrey
11-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks Daphne,Hope I got it right, anyways. Our contract states the company can add coverage, they won't even talk about it with me & my union does not want to show tha company that statement to help with insurance.
Maybe I expect to much & than I know I don't. Those of us that transition just want to treated as any other woman. I can see not letting us use changing rooms before surgery if people are up tight but a restroom, come on. We just want to our business get. I have heard comments that "the other girls" are afraid I will look thru door cracks or other men may try to say they are going thru this just to get in.
I told the company no man could get in there unless they gave them a letter of treatment & that seemed to take care of that, I suggested the training so the ladies would understand what is going on. Again a flat out no by the company & the union said " do you really think we need this"
" we don't, live with it".
Now I ask if you were paying 12.00 a week for dues wouldn't you at least like a better answer than that. Maybe I have to be a bitch & when things are said that should not be turn them in & let the chips fall where they may. Thats not me & I am99.99999% sure I never could do it. So whats your great answer to fixing all this??? Like the union, live with it, thats life.
Don't get me wrong I understand where you are coming from but than don't leave open statements in contract your not willing to fight for( insurance claus).

Sorry for ranting.

Hugs, Janelle

Indeed I would want better answers on the open statements in your contract. And the training sure would have made sense. Thank you for clarifying:) And I agree the letter of treatment should allow you into the ladies room. It is sad in this day and age that people cant grasp that it is not about the surgery but the state of mind.

As a union member myself I can understand your frustration not that I have had to deal with mine concerning gender related issues.

I have the utmost respect for people who transition, Thanks for responding and I understand a little more about where your coming from. Oh and don't worry rant away heaven knows I do!

Best
Daphne