PDA

View Full Version : You know you are not a rocket scientist when....

msginaadoll
11-21-2009, 01:12 PM
You try to dry your wigs in the dryer. Yes not one of my smartest moments. I decided to wash my wigs Wednesday night, figured might as well fill up the bathtub, and do them all- 10 in total. I put cold water in the tub, and used the wig shampoo I had bought at Janets Closet. Let them soak for 20 minutes and then rinsed them off. Was concerned about them not drying before wife got home, and didnt want to leave overnight in car so figured why not try the dryer on low heat. I placed them in a duffle bag and turned the dryer on. Well went back upstairs to do some computer stuff- cleaning out my itunes and forgot them. Rembered about 4o minutes latter, went downstairs and to my horror realized my duffle bag had come lose- the drawstrings and the wigs had falledn into the dryer. They looked like a bunch of poor shrunken furballs. Was not able to rewash them till friday, and they dont look any better. I have tried conditioning shampoo on them made for wigs and they look dead still. Over $500 worth of wigs down the tubes. Please tell me Im not alone! Anyone else done something silly that they want to admit. The only positive thing is that I can go wig shopping again!

Sherry-Stephanie
11-21-2009, 01:32 PM
OK let me get this out of the way....

"YOU DID WHAT"??????

Ok...

Sorry Hon...haven't heard that one before!!!!:eek:

Good news???? I see some new hair styles coming into your life very soon!!!!!

Sorry for your errrrrrr, "bad luck"....but next time air drying them might be a better choice!!!!:2c: But I guess you know that by now....

Toni_Lynn
11-21-2009, 02:12 PM
I have two solutions for you to make 'lemonade out of lemons'.

1) Go to a Star Trek convention and sell them as Tribbles!
2) Put eyes and and mouth on mthem -- voila -- instant souvenir from the movie Gremlins!

Smile hun -- its happened to all of us. Like red panties getting tossed in the wash with my tighty whities when I was 15 and decided to do a load of laundry while my mum and dad were out. You know the rest....

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

sherri
11-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Can we say "synthetic"? :D Synthetic + heat = bad news. And if you read the instructions for a synthetic wig, you're not even supposed to wring them with your hands, let alone tumble dry.

Wash them gently in lukewarm water.
Rinse thoroughly.
Gently squeeze out excess water.
Give them a gentle shake.
Place on a towel to air dry. (You can use a fan to speed up the drying time.)

Btw, you can skip that high priced wig shampoo. Woolite works great.

AllieSF
11-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Oh Gina, what a disaster and what a very good attitude that you have about it all. I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. I wish you the best of luck in reconstructing your supply. Go slow and enjoy the new shopping experience. In the meantime keep trying and maybe you can save a couple of wigs.

Melissa_Z
11-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Oh noes!

Joanne f
11-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Before wash

after wash

:heehee:

Karren H
11-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Wow.. I'm glad I didn't think of that first!! Sorry for your loss!

docrobbysherry
11-21-2009, 03:21 PM
U mite have used the microwave, or your OVEN!:sad:

Last add:
Maybe u can put them in your trunk, and claim they were ruined on a hot day. Then, get reimbursed by your auto insurance?:D

msginaadoll
11-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the kind words and support in my time of mourning. The first thing i thought of when I saw them was the tribbles episode of Star Trek. Then i realized that they did look like afros for the lost pigmy tribe. I definitely have to laugh at myself for doing something so incredibly dumb, especialy cause I knew how to care for them. Sometimes my masculine brain takes over control and all that makes sense is more power more power! Im still hoping that a wig can be saved, but hey IM also still hoping that they bring back "BJ and the Bear". But the call of shopping is beginning to run through my veins. I may try to find myself a nice quality wig!

tamarav
11-21-2009, 06:05 PM
I am holding my tongue...

Wendy Green
11-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Spray them with Endust and use them around your house. Your old feather duster might start singing " Baby come back" or "Love stinks".

Kate Simmons
11-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Nope, best to follow the cleaning instructions. I'd say if you don't have time don't do them or just do one at a time.:)

docrobbysherry
11-21-2009, 08:53 PM
I definitely have to laugh at myself for doing something so incredibly dumb, especialy cause I knew how to care for them. Sometimes my masculine brain takes over control and all that makes sense is more power more power!

Scottie and Captn Kirk aside, I was married for 10 years. And she was as fem as they come!:daydreaming:
She didn't wear wigs, but if she did, I'm CERTAIN she would have tried putting them in the dryer! :heehee:

alexis GG
11-21-2009, 08:59 PM
They looked like a bunch of poor shrunken furballs.

I would sooner deal with your kinda furballs than the kinda furballs I gotta deal with when owning 5 cats :heehee:

sorry I know off topic

donnatracey
11-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Spray them with Endust and use them around your house. Your old feather duster might start singing " Baby come back" or "Love stinks".

That would be adding insult to injury! I hate those songs - thanks to those commercials!!!....:Angry3:

JenniferR771
11-21-2009, 11:32 PM
Oh yeah! Best not to hurrry--when wife expected soon--from now on, dry in my truck or garden shed. My wig came out rather fuzzy. But don't give up. Drop by a local salon or wig shop--they can probably rescue your pride and pull your adz out of the fire. At least try to wash them again--and dry them some other way.

trannie T
11-22-2009, 12:04 AM
It may be a good idea to check the lint filter.

Sally2005
11-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Don't forget to clean out the lint trap... Lint + Wig hairs + Wife = trouble.

Mandy Burgundy
11-22-2009, 02:40 AM
http://mccormicky.com/tiresome/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/homer-doh.jpgOh dear my thoughts are just with you. Happy new wig hunting.

marie354
11-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Do you really need the wigs? Maybe it's a sign that you should begin using your real hair.
That was my decision when my wigs became too much trouble.
But then again, I'm full time and my hair is in pretty good shape. I did go blonde though.

Sorry for your troubles.:sad:

VS Fan
11-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Can't say I've done anything quite like that, but ...

I'm notorious in my house for washing clothes in hot water or drying them on high heat and shrinking / ruining things... so when I came out to my wife she made a point to mention that I needed to read the labels so I didn't ruin anything ;)

Happy wig shopping!

VS Fan

~Seana~
11-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Save yourself $500 and just grow your hair out silly. Still I feel for your ummm loss.We all have blond moments.

Amanda

Sally24
11-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Don't feel bad, I thought sneaking up behind my wife with a Gorilla mask on would be funny...............:eek: Lucky I still have the boys intact after that one!! (some times the 12 year old boy inside us all gets control for a moment.)

JoanAz
11-22-2009, 10:40 AM
To ERROR is human, to FORGIVE is Female,

"I am perfect I NEVER make mistakes, I thought I did once, but I was WRONG"
:)

msginaadoll
11-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Well ive been going through my wigs with a fine tooth comb, and they do look bad. I keep getting images of Billy Mays hawking them on tv as the latest in polishing your wooden furniture. Why they will clean rust off the bumper of your car, they pick up dust from your computer screen. How much do you think you would pay for one, why we will give you 10. But wait theres more.... I did find an old wig in another stash to wear out Friday. I only went out because promised to meet a friend at the club. Felt like Gina the ugly mountain troll all night with a dead muskrat on my head. I have had fun the past few days doing hair research and looking at all the various wig choices. Who knew some could be that expensive- more than I paid for my car! Been wondering if i save all the arm, leg, and back hair I shave off, plus the few stray ear and nose hairs they could weave me a lovely wig in Khazakstan using labor from all the unemployed 10 year olds. Just a thought!