PDA

View Full Version : pick a decade

Lorileah
11-22-2009, 11:54 AM
To go along with the "1850's" thread and if you would be a crossdresser then (they didn't have sexy underwear then...wait many didn't even have underwear), Choose a decade of the 2oth century that you would like to emulate (assume you are a passing CD.) and why. You would be totally dressed en femme. Don't argue that the economy was bad or we were at war or women were treated like chattel, it is just a statement of the look. Go for the "look" you would like. You have 15 minutes to complete this question, no cheating off others paper (try not to say Yeah what Suzy said) :)

OK I'll start. The forties. I love both the casual look of a simple dress, shoulder length hair, and back then moderate heel shoes, but also the dressy look of going dancing (although my drawn on lines would probably be crooked). the make up and the attitude (would be a Carole Lombard look alike...Hey it's MY fantasy :)) Would love to be a pin up even if it was for some poor "joe" somewhere

Melinda G
11-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Last night I was watching The Lawrence Welk Show on PBS, for lack of anything better to do. No, I'm not a big Lawrence Welk fan. But it was refreshing to see women that looked like women, all wearing dresses, and heels, and long hair. Not a pantsuit or boy haircut to be seen, anywhere. June Cleaver looked pretty good too, back in the 50s.
Later in the evening, watching other stuff, and commercials, there were no dresses or heels to be seen. Most of the women in the shows or commercials were wearing slacks, pantsuits, jeans, etc.
I guess if I had to choose, I would pick the 40s, 50s, or 60s, before the damn rebellion set in.:D

Summer
11-22-2009, 12:16 PM
It would have to be the 20's or the roaring 20's to be exact. The black bottom, skirts high, and don't forget the hats. Speak easys.
Even though it was a depression era like now. People had fun no matter what. Not like today.
Summer

Jilmac
11-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Since I began my journey into the feminine realm in the fifties I'm going to stick with that decade. That's when I fell in love with the silky smooth panties and slips, garter belts, girdles, stockings and other items of femininity worn in those times. Also girl and women of that decade wore more dresses and skirts for everyday wear than they do now. About the only thing from that decade that I didn't like were the pointy cup bras.

Elizebeth
11-22-2009, 12:36 PM
so many good decades but if I have to chose I will take the 20's I want to be a flapper

Aubrey Green
11-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Gotta agree with you Lori. I love the 40's fashion. My idol, since birth, has been Veronica Lake. Rita Hayworth isn't bad either.

Toni_Lynn
11-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Easy -- sort of -- for me. The 70s. Actually if I could split it -- 1965 to 1975. I'd love to go back, be about 18 years old and have a purse bulging with cash!

Reason is that is when I started crossdressing and it would be so cool to go back, try on all the mod things that I missing, and fill in a bunch of fantasies!

BTW -- the best bit though would be if I could go back, still with a pocketful of money, but be the age I was then. I'd love to sneak into my high school all dressed and walk around observing things and sit in the girls room catching the skinny on some of the other girls. Wait -- I did that last bit -- at least I was wearing panties at the time --- or many times!

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

windycissy
11-22-2009, 01:58 PM
The late 50's and early 60's for me, I love the styles worn by the women in Mad Men, those were the days: women vaccuming in dresses and heels, nylons that snapped onto garters of girdles that made their waists look tiny, long white gloves to conceal manhands...a crossdresser's dream!

lisalove
11-22-2009, 02:38 PM
I would say the fifties, around the time that Happy Days was set. The clothes were hot, the styles were cool, and so much was getting started, rock and roll, hot roddingand women were starting to be out and about, since they were in the work force for WW2.

Cary
11-22-2009, 02:47 PM
The 70, 80 and 90.

cindyscute
11-22-2009, 02:49 PM
The middle 60's-mid 90's

phoebe61
11-22-2009, 04:20 PM
for me it must be the 1950's as i already have full skirts n dresses also pettycqats to go with them a great eara for fashon n music i also have the pencil skirts and the coats with the big collars.
donna leeds uk

weekend woman
11-22-2009, 04:21 PM
I'd would have to go with the 50'S. Absolutely love the shirt-waist dresses.Oh yeah don't forget the pearls ala June Cleaver.

Bonnie Lawrence
11-22-2009, 04:29 PM
I would pick the 60's. Such a variety of women's fashion: early 60's still had the bobbie sox and saddle shoes for teens and form fitting dresses and suits like Jackie & Marilyn wore. Then bikinis, mini skirts and the mod look. Ahhh to look like either Inger Stevens, Susan Oliver, Emma Peale, Petula Clark, et al.!

Stephenie S
11-22-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm pretty happy right where I am, thank you. I find the clothes I wear now to be comfortable and attractive.

I remember the 50s. I was THERE. Garter belts and stockings were UNCOMFORTABLE. Stockings bagged at the knee when you stood up. Girdles and corsets were inventions of the devil, I thought. Sleeping with curlers in your hair? Hemming your skirts by hand because they all came too long? Pads only because Tampax was immoral? (whoops, you guys don't care about that, do you?) There was no antiperspirant, only deoderant, so you had to wear these little plastic shields in your underarms to keep your dresses from getting stained. Dress shields, they were called. Longline bras had to be hooked to your girdle to keep them from riding up. Makeup was primitive. White gloves whenever you left the house. Try to keep THEM looking nice.

I could keep going, but I ain't gonna. Sufice it to say I like it just where I am. Now, if you could take a few years off ME. That would be something I could get into.

I find the women's clothing of the 19th century to be very attractive, but I thank my lucky stars that I don't have to WEAR it. While it's true that women didn't wear panties, and men didn't wear briefs, if you define underwear (as they did) as something worn UNDER your outerwear, most people have always (and certainly in the 1800s) worn underwear.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Fab Karen
11-22-2009, 05:02 PM
The 60's. Love the fab dresses. Andy Warhol had a story that some young woman invented the mini-dress style: to save money she bought young girl's dresses which were higher on her legs.
Also a bit of the 20's for the hairstyles ( NOTE: the Depression era came AFTER that )

brittdoll
11-22-2009, 05:08 PM
I'd go back to the 1980s - I loved the outfits the girls wore in high school.

windycissy
11-22-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm pretty happy right where I am, thank you. I find the clothes I wear now to be comfortable and attractive.

I remember the 50s. I was THERE. Garter belts and stockings were UNCOMFORTABLE. Stockings bagged at the knee when you stood up. Girdles and corsets were inventions of the devil, I thought. Sleeping with curlers in your hair? Hemming your skirts by hand because they all came too long? Pads only because Tampax was immoral? (whoops, you guys don't care about that, do you?) There was no antiperspirant, only deoderant, so you had to wear these little plastic shields in your underarms to keep your dresses from getting stained. Dress shields, they were called. Longline bras had to be hooked to your girdle to keep them from riding up. Makeup was primitive. White gloves whenever you left the house. Try to keep THEM looking nice.

I could keep going, but I ain't gonna. Sufice it to say I like it just where I am. Now, if you could take a few years off ME. That would be something I could get into.

I find the women's clothing of the 19th century to be very attractive, but I thank my lucky stars that I don't have to WEAR it. While it's true that women didn't wear panties, and men didn't wear briefs, if you define underwear (as they did) as something worn UNDER your outerwear, most people have always (and certainly in the 1800s) worn underwear.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Thanks for the reality check! Now that you mention it, when pantyhose came out they were hailed as a big advance over those dreaded girdles and stockings, now women bitch about wearing pantyhose!

NathalieX66
11-22-2009, 05:46 PM
1950's...just think of the amount of crinoline, lace, sheer nylon fabric. I just adore the pencil skirts, not just the petticoats. I am a huge fan of Bettie Page. Just something about this era that made women's clothes seem so special.

TommiTN
11-22-2009, 06:16 PM
The fitties for sure! My avatar says it all. :daydreaming:

Stormgirl
11-22-2009, 06:31 PM
I'd say the 40s as well; loved the fashion from that era.

docrobbysherry
11-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Ok, then I pick the 60's! Preferably, the first half!:)

Back then, men were men, and women were women! ( Or, so I thot at the time!):eek:
At least, that's how they DRESSED!:devil:

If u want to know WHY I picked then, just look thru Playboy, or ANY picture mag from that time period!:D

Samantha Girl
11-22-2009, 07:01 PM
The late 80's - early 90's, come on! I mean just look at me! :p

I know, I know the fashion sucked. But the hair, the hair was majestic! :p

I love the fashion and hair from the early 60's as well ;)

TGMarla
11-22-2009, 07:01 PM
I'll pick 1975 to 1985. The dresses had progressed from the horrid 60s styles into the flowing full-skirted disco styles, and they began using a polyester blend instead of straight polyester. The styles were wonderful, with big fluffy sweaters, sweet dresses and skirts, hosiery, heels, and lovely hair styles.

Gimme!

busker
11-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Aubrey,
Veronica's hairdo wasn't the only thing that was peekaboo, was it? There were so many beautiful women in the 30s and 40's. Even Joan Crawford had her moments.
mandrake

Frédérique
11-22-2009, 08:42 PM
pick a decade

The first thing that came into my mind was the fashion of the 1920’s, but I had to think about it. It’s funny – I like the shapelessness of 20’s outfits, but I also adore Dior’s “New Look” after WWII, the latter being all shape! However, if I had to pick a decade, I’d go with the late 1900’s, preferably c.1908. You get the sheath-like dresses, albeit with a defined waist now and then, all with really fantastic hats! I would prefer Empire fashion (c. 1795-1800), but that’s another time, another place, and, I’m sure, another thread…:daydreaming:

Miranda09
11-22-2009, 08:49 PM
I'd go with the Lauren Bacall look from the 1940's. The long blond hair, sexy eyes and flowing dresses.....not to mention silk stockings...that would be nice! :)

Now...if you want to get a futuristic look.....Ultraviolet!!!!!!!! Yeowwww! Yeah, I know....wrong century!:heehee:

Stephanie Miller
11-22-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm with Stephanie S. ! Love the looks of the 50's - but wouldn't want to put up with the problems. But I look at it this way....
Now-a-days I get it ALL! I have just gone to the mall and saw dresses that look right out of the 50's, they have short tennis skirts, slinky sequined cocktail dresses, pencil skirts, A-line skirts, pleats. Heck, a girl today can wear anthing from the past and she's called "retro". Wear something out of Glamour today and be trendy. Or (and I really hate to add this since I so much dislike them - ) or there are pants. :doh:
So just give me today.
(Knock a few years off both Stephanies please)

sherri52
11-22-2009, 09:38 PM
I would want the 60's. Clothing was more colorful and bright. Short skirts and tight fitting tops if not in a gogo dress, and boots up to the knees

Butterfly Bill
11-23-2009, 12:01 AM
The 90s -- miniskirts with opaque black hose, and lots of rayon.

girlalex
11-23-2009, 01:28 AM
i go with how girls my age dress in the present day. i love the club style way of dressing, emo hair style, a tight girl t-shirt, a pair of low rise jeans, pantyhose, nice Victoria Secret bra and a pair of DC shows. :daydreaming:

CherylFlint
11-23-2009, 04:02 AM
1950's - 1960's. Sheer blouses, seamed ff nylons, girdles, garter belts, even mini skirts.

Jenniferpl
11-23-2009, 04:57 AM
I would say the 80's and 90's What I miss the most are those skin tight jeans.

RobynB
11-23-2009, 07:42 AM
I'm stuck in the 50's. Love the stockings and garter belts. And my favorite--petticoats.

Jeanne Hamilton
11-23-2009, 09:43 AM
The 1940s and early 50s. Garterbelts, girdles, and stockings with seams were so sexy. I love the feel of a full slip, and I would like to see myself in a bullet bra.

Astrid Star
11-23-2009, 10:35 AM
As much as I enjoy the historical turbulence and fashion trends of the 1940's through to the 1960's I would have to choose the "high-end" 1990's look. I would love to dress corporate perhaps like the "power women" of the time.

Astrid

Rachaelb64
11-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Well for it would been the 60s, then 80s/90s :)

trisha59
11-23-2009, 11:37 AM
The Brady Bunch era. Marsha Marsha Marsha

AllieSF
11-23-2009, 01:46 PM
I would have loved to have been a woman in the flapper era (20's). The soft shapeless dresses, braless looks, fun and carefree attitudes and the music to go with it. The soft satiny flowing dresses, some with the tassles and frills, are to die for. And, don't forget the little tight fitting hats! Sexy and fun.

Samantha43
11-23-2009, 01:51 PM
The 1980's.

Big hair
Short skirts
High heels
Bright colors
Spandex

Women's clothing really showed off a woman's "assets" back then.

Deborah Jane
11-23-2009, 03:14 PM
The 60's....The decade of the mini skirt :)

Or the 80's...I love anything from the 80's especially the cars, music and womens fashions

Danielle Gee
11-23-2009, 03:22 PM
The 50's do it for me.....I always wanted to see what Donna Reed & Barbara Billingsly wore under those shirtwaist dresses!!!:brolleyes:

sheidelmeidel
11-23-2009, 04:52 PM
It would have to be the 20's or the roaring 20's to be exact. The black bottom, skirts high, and don't forget the hats. Speak easys.
Even though it was a depression era like now. People had fun no matter what. Not like today.
Summer

Historical note: there was no depression in the 20s! It was the Roaring Twenties, not unlike the 90s. The "roar" was from the big money and the big parties and the big cars and the big sub-machine guns to protect it all... Fashion quieted down in the 30s when the depression hit-subdued elegance became the thing. Maybe we'll get back to that now too, I hope.

Christina89
11-25-2009, 01:30 PM
i would stick with the 2000s cause there are some really beautiful outfits out there along with a wide selection of different bikini styles.

Samantha B L
11-25-2009, 02:04 PM
I'll go with the sixties. 1963 to 1969. When I was a little kid I wanted to look like Ginger on Gilligan's Island(Tina Louise)Other sixties women I wanted to look like were Dusty Springfield and Sandie Shaw. I read cosmo,mademoiselle and Vogue when no one was around. I remember sometimes they would do extensive articles about outrageous designer clothes being modeled in London,Paris and New York.

NV Susan
11-27-2009, 05:07 PM
This is a hard question for us stuck back here in the 1800's.......
But if your going to drag {no pun intended} me into the 20th century I would have to go with the roaring 20's, love the flapper dresses and the hats......

KarenSusan
11-27-2009, 06:21 PM
The 1950's. Bouffant skirts and dresses. Also, girls didn't instantly change into pants when they got home from school.

leesametz
11-27-2009, 09:34 PM
i didnt look at anyone elses response per the instructions but i too would like the 40s or maybe the 50s...

the teacher in 'october sky' (laura dern) had such a super hot outfit with that sweater and slim slim skirt...

ive seen pictures of my mom from the 50s (graduated from HS in 52) in those same type clothes...

EVERY woman wore stockings and garters or girdles, skirts or dresses and a 2"-3" heel. even if they were stay at home moms (as far as i know, i was born in '65)...

there were only a few years in the 40s that they didnt have stockings and that was until nylon was perfected in order to replace the silk stockings that were being commandeered for powder bags and the such for the military...

Astrid Star
11-28-2009, 12:26 PM
i would stick with the 2000s cause there are some really beautiful outfits out there along with a wide selection of different bikini styles.

The 2000's are quite nice also. I would love to achieve a high-end "Manhattan" look with coats and scarves.

Astrid

Janet Bern
11-28-2009, 02:20 PM
I have to say the fifties. When girdles were girdles with garters on them. Stockings were full fashioned. Garterbelts were for casual dressing and bras were pointy. Not to mention the straight skirts..
Today we can't go out in a dress or skirt without being looked at as odd.
What kind of fun can we have as a CD if we wear pants and mens shirts.
Ah to go back to 50's
Janet

Karen_Ski
11-28-2009, 02:39 PM
:daydreaming: This one is a toughie as every deade has a lot to offer to gurls like us. I guess if I had to narrow it down it would be the 70's maybe because that is when Karen started to blossom. Form 1970 with its minis and hot pants with go-go boots through disco and the dawn of the professional woman look there was so much dramatic change in fashions that one would never be bored! :)

Audrey34
11-28-2009, 03:11 PM
I always loved the big office wear blouses with the long sleeves back in the early 1980's. They were some of the first items I ever bought and they were so nice and comfy! And of course I loved the pleated and A-line skirts too!
-Audrey

susan2010
11-28-2009, 03:20 PM
This is all about fantasy, right? Reality need not apply?
Then for me it's the look from the 40's to about the mid -60's. Garters, stockings, girdles, slips, petticoats, heels. I agree we could lose the pointy bras. Dresses and petticoats or slips will always define feminity for me.

black leotards
11-28-2009, 03:31 PM
It would be the 1960s or 1970s for me ... short skirts and tights!! :love:

Spacey
11-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Forties, fifties I love pinup style! Lol! Clothing today is quite nice and leggings, yay...

Melora
11-28-2009, 05:45 PM
I find something cool about the decades from the 50's up..
I am keen on the 70's and 80's in particular.. :)