PDA

View Full Version : Sorry that it's been awhile, but I would like some job advice...

Noxvictum
11-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Hey ladies, sorry it's been so long. Life still sucks in general, but there really isn't much that can be done about that. Anyway, since I'm still jobless, I am putting serious thought into getting a job where I can go to work en femme. However, I am well aware this limits my prospects, but I was at least at one time enamored ( or hammered as the case may be) with the bar scene. Of course, those were country bars and rock bars. Anyway, I was hoping someone might have some advice, or maybe even a point in the right direction. It's pretty sad that even Google was like WTF? And was only marginally helpful. Well, I did shoot an email of to one place, and hopefully can get some of my questions answered. However my ankle isn't fully recovered yet, and won't be for awhile yet. That does put a bit of a damper on things. Anyway, I'll try to be on more, just in a bit of arough patch like some of you ladies, and I tend to get quiet when I'm pulling my narrow behind out of whatever hole I've found myself in.

Lauren1973
11-25-2009, 11:32 PM
I am in the same boat as you. I am also thinking the same thing. It would put me in a position to have choices to transition.

NathalieX66
11-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Want a job working en femme?
be an artist!...it works for Grayson Perry....Andy Warhol, once in a while too!:battingeyelashes:

Noxvictum
11-25-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm already an artist in my own right, but more and more artist jobs want college... Kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me. Kinda thought artists were supposed to be unique, since that's what we are for. Now there's all these teachers that look down their nose at you because they're somehow better. Why do I need a piece of paper to say I can make art when I can turn that same paper into art? Aren't we supposed to be going green?

Ann Thomas
11-26-2009, 01:25 AM
I've not been on in quite a while because I just started a new job. I was also hoping for one I could crossdress at, but am not yet sure if that will be possible. Was more interested in eating at this point, if you get my drift. I was unemployed for a long time.

Where I got a job is at an art glass studio, running a waterjet machine tool, and progamming it to cut shapes in glass. We'll see how it all works out, but I am optimistic that I'll be able to be at least somewhat myself at this job.

Best of luck to you all that haven't found work yet. It's tough, but not impossible.

One of the suggestions I got from someone along the way was to get into the installation and/or testing of alarm systems. They never have down business times - during bad times people fear they will lose their stuff, and in good times they fear the same. So, they get constant business, and there are few people in that trade, so there's a steady stream of openings.

To get my job I had to be very agressive, applying anywhere from two to twelve places each day. I ended up getting two to three interviews per week as a result. People in my job seekers support group on the average were going two to three months between interviews. The key to my success was to write very detailed cover letters for each application, as well as to do a customized resume for each type of job.

The job I landed needed someone with a wide variety of skills, as it is a small company, so I fit well into the position. And since it's an art studio, I think my chances are good I will be accepted as I am, as the owner and the clientele are all more on the artsy side, so not closed minded about alternative things in general. It's kind of fun merging the highly technical side of myself with the art side, and make money as well.

Hope that helps!

Hugs,
Ann

Hope
11-26-2009, 01:53 AM
I'm already an artist in my own right, but more and more artist jobs want college... Kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me. Kinda thought artists were supposed to be unique, since that's what we are for. Now there's all these teachers that look down their nose at you because they're somehow better. Why do I need a piece of paper to say I can make art when I can turn that same paper into art? Aren't we supposed to be going green?

Sometimes we are able to learn things from others, things that will enhance our skills and abilities and make our products - art or otherwise - better and more valuable. I seriously do not understand the anti-education sentiment I hear so often these days. Anyone who thinks they have nothing to learn is sadly mistaken. Besides, most universities are pretty GLBT friendly environments.

If you are serious about wanting to tend bar, going to a bar-tending academy (it's a short course - as little as 6 weeks) will demonstrate to any employer that you know how to mix drinks properly, maintain a bar, and understand sanitation et.al.. It will also demonstrate your seriousness about tending bar, and many academies have job placement assistance.

On the other hand if you are just looking for a gig where you can transition, checking out the Human Rights Campaign list of best places to work would be a good place to start.

http://www.hrc.org/issues/workplace/11832.htm

Noxvictum
11-26-2009, 02:07 AM
Hope, I know there is always more to learn. I just hate taking the same art class every year. I only need a job till next semester when I can get paid to go to school. Just figured that so long as I need a job, my as well throw some cooler options into the mix. A shame my area doesn't have anything related to my job in the navy. Utilities companies are full up here.