PDA

View Full Version : Just finished my latest corset

Alayna
07-29-2005, 05:41 AM
stuffed with a pillow so the shape's a bit off. The ribbon in the front is decorative. It's the first time I've worked with leather - it feels great cinched up!:D

Toyah
07-29-2005, 05:58 AM
That is adorable, would love to try it and leather too oh its too much

Jamie M
07-29-2005, 05:58 AM
:eek: Wow :eek: Is that all your own work Alayna ? It's really gorgeous . :thumbsup:

Tristen Cox
07-29-2005, 06:00 AM
That's hot! You really are getting good with these :cool:

DanaJ
07-29-2005, 06:48 AM
Alayna - you never fail to amze - wow!!! :eek: Great work!

DanaJ

mand
07-29-2005, 06:49 AM
Hello Alayna :) ...............I have said it before and I'll say it again love, you have a real talent, it is truely lovely :)

love mand xxx

Donna-GG
07-29-2005, 06:56 AM
I just love the look. I bet it feels good on.

DonnaT
07-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Very pretty Alayna!

My measurements are . . . never mind you don't have enough leather :D

Holly
07-29-2005, 07:58 AM
Alayna, you are truely skilled. That corset is lovely, as are all the others you have shared with us. Have fun! ;)

Angela Burke
07-29-2005, 09:16 AM
Alayna,
Your corsets look fantastic!
You must be at college somewhere?
If not get to one immediately!
Beautiful work!

Love Angela XX

Jenny Beth
07-29-2005, 09:19 AM
You do beautiful work. Maybe someday we'll see your corsets on the runways of Paris and Rome and and and! Fredricks of Hollywood and VS move over, here comes Alayna!

Crystal Harmony
07-29-2005, 09:31 AM
That looks fantastic you should go into business girl :thumbsup:

Alayna
07-29-2005, 12:39 PM
Thanks everyone! Actually I am in business right now - just really small-scale. I don't even have a working website yet, save for my Live Journal.

BTW, I'm about to start on a unique idea for a friend's birthday present - does anyone know much about mercury? I've heard differing opinions from medical/science websites. Some say it's extremely toxic when inhaled in its vaporized form, some don't really say much at all except not to handle it with bare skin.:confused:

The idea so far is to make a black satin overbust with red piping, and two vertical strips on each side of clear vinyl to show some skin. The top and bottom trim will be clear vinyl as well, but filled with something. I'd like to do mercury, but I'm wary of the construction and wearability of something potentially toxic, so the backup is to fill it with red liquid (pure food coloring maybe). Heh, like I said it's unique!

Jenny Beth
07-29-2005, 12:51 PM
I don't know a lot about mercury except that it's very toxic. Years ago the lamps in lighthouses floated in a basin of mercury. There are many stories of lighthouse keepers going banannas from loneliness but some believe it was from mercury poisioning. At any rate I think if you tried to use mercury in a consumer product you'd have every agency and their uncles giving you enough red tape to choke a horse.

Stacey23 GG
07-29-2005, 01:07 PM
Alayna - incredible work! You are very talented and I'm extremely jealous!! :bow: As soon as my SO helps me out by busting through a wall in our house, I'm blowing the dust off my Singer to see if I can remember how to sew! I'm absolutely blown away.

Mx Justina
07-29-2005, 01:26 PM
BTW, I'm about to start on a unique idea for a friend's birthday present - does anyone know much about mercury? I've heard differing opinions from medical/science websites. Some say it's extremely toxic when inhaled in its vaporized form, some don't really say much at all except not to handle it with bare skin.:confused:

Alayna, you show work that indeed, you should be justly proud of!... However, if you want to have youself sued for the rest of your life (and totally ruin your hardearned achievement to boot)...tinker with mercury as a couture ingredient.

Mercury is ideal for terrorists and polluters.

J.

Adrianne
07-29-2005, 01:42 PM
hello Alayna, you are a very clever lady, looks great.

Adrianne.

liteswtchrave
07-29-2005, 02:42 PM
WOW!!! That corset looks great!!! Good work, wish i had those skills...we use mercury at work and it is very toxic, a tiny amount will absorb into your skin and make you very sick...also i believe you would have to use glass to contain it whick can break easily.

Stephenie
07-29-2005, 04:11 PM
Mercury is very bad. but you could try something with Glow sticks. You would have to make them replaceable but it would look great all night with out having to change them.

Alayna
07-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Mercury is very bad. but you could try something with Glow sticks. You would have to make them replaceable but it would look great all night with out having to change them.

Hell YEAH! That's a great idea! I know of some glow sticks they sell at walmart and michaels that are meant to be necklaces (my favorite tripping toy:whistling). They'd fit perfectly in the clear side panels if I double them up. Thanks for the idea.

As for the mercury, I'd really only do it for this one. She's a friend of mine and I'm doing it as a gift. Like Justina and Jenny Beth mentioned, I would never want to deal with the legal hassle. I'm gonna forget about it anyway, between what you all are saying, and an article I came across today it's not worth it. It was about a professor who spilled a few drops of an organic mercury compound on her gloves (she was working under a fume hood. She treated it as inconsequential and two months later died from severe neurological damage. THis stuff is highly toxic, and not available to the public - but that's enough to turn me away. That and another article that said vaporized mercury from a broken thermometer can reach dangerous levels within minutes in an unventilated room.

No matter though, Stephanie's idea is the best one so far!

DonnaT
07-29-2005, 06:42 PM
I use to play with mercury barehanded all the time when I was a kid. Thought it was cool the way it would separate and then meld back together again.

Wonder if it did any damage?

Jenny Beth
07-29-2005, 07:04 PM
I use to play with mercury barehanded all the time when I was a kid. Thought it was cool the way it would separate and then meld back together again.

Wonder if it did any damage?

So did I. In fact it was a science teacher who passed it around the class. As for doing any damage.....I dunno, we're both CD's. Any connection? lol

Tristen Cox
07-29-2005, 07:07 PM
All I know is if it gets into your heart you're dead. Better go with the glow stick idea ;)

Mx Justina
07-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Kind of like decorating an extreme fashionista dress item with radioactive isotope matirials (with regards the un-intended consequences).

The silvery stuff (mercury) is so bad (and insidious) that the neurologic poison damage is irreversible and wide-ranging...and so would be the civil (and criminal) lawsuits...once discovered. Fame and lingering renown however, would be assured.

J.

CeceliaRJ
07-29-2005, 08:38 PM
Alayna,

Yes, mercury is extremely toxic. Yes, I had a test tube full of it when I was in high school, too. Really neat stuff.

I've done 2 corsets over the past couple of years. One was for a GG in a show - complete with lights that she could turn on and off. Really great effect. She was doing "You gotta have a gimmick".

The other was for myself. I did Dorothy for Halloween. But Dorothy with an attitude! Like Dorothy meets Carmen (from the opera), complete with corset, fishnets, and red and pink tulle under the skirt. What a hoot! I'll get some photos up online sometime if I can find them.

As far as your fitting problem on the top of the corset - Try adding some small gussets at the side seams. Or you can minimally taper (1/8" or so on both sides of each piece will probably be plenty) the width of each pattern piece above the bottom of the rib cage to the top of the corset. How about a little padding built into the corset itself so it accentuates the cone shape you're looking for.

Definitely, get yourself a dress form,but wait until they go on sale at JoAnn Fabrics. It will make your life so much easier. Actually, you can build one yourself. Just put on a tight fitting t-shirt that you don't want anymore and have someone wrap you with duct tape. I've seen articles on this in Threads magazine. It really works. After you've been wrapped in several layers, you get cut out (up the side seams) and then tape it back together, and stuff it with polyester stuffing - the loose type like they use for pillows and stuffed animals. The other way is to do a plaster cast. That's a bit more involved and a lot messier, but it's really accurate.

Let us know how you make out.

Hugs,

Cecelia

Ayla GG
07-30-2005, 01:38 AM
Alayna, that corset is stunning! it's sexy & pretty at the same time....ooh me likey!!

Ohhh...I love the shape & would love to have one for myself! I rarely fall in love with a corset cause I'm picky that way :rolleyes: . You ought to show case your other creations. I think you're really talented & will be succesful with your line. Keep us posted with your business, I know my fellow GG friends would love to have a corset like that as well!

samanthajay
07-30-2005, 01:52 AM
alayna i want that corsett put me down for one oh god it sexy.

Alayna
07-30-2005, 02:27 AM
You ought to show case your other creations.
check the link in my signature. There's a bustier that I made for my sis in there too (the red butterfly one).

Tristen Cox
07-30-2005, 05:32 AM
Hmm there seems to be a time portal still open going back through the corsetry.
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1417

Alayna
07-30-2005, 03:13 PM
lol!
thanks Tristen:hugs: