PDA

View Full Version : Having the 'mick' took out of you

Abi Kayli Brandreth
12-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Well, ever since i told my work mates, they have all took the mickey and had a laugh and joke about me being a crossdresser. Its all fun and i laugh along with them, but it does get annoying after abit, anyone else in the same boat?

linnea
12-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Nope. But I hope that you continue to enjoy it, because there's no unringing that bell.

Kieron Andrew
12-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Well, ever since i told my work mates, they have all took the mickey and had a laugh and joke about me being a crossdresser. Its all fun and i laugh along with them, but it does get annoying after abit, anyone else in the same boat?

they'll soon get bored and find someone/something else to take the mic on

Abi Kayli Brandreth
12-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Kieron, they wont, they have allways picked on me in a joking way, its better then them being all stropy and mean. :)

Lorileah
12-01-2009, 06:30 PM
dang, there ain't no google translate English to American.

you know deep down inside they are jealous

Christina2008
12-01-2009, 06:35 PM
But the cool thing is, is it could be just as bad as saying I'm a stamp collector or train spotter. It may not be "their cup of tea", but taking the mick as opposed to being utterly disgusted by it seems good thing.
I always try to find a positive out of a situation :)

Abi Kayli Brandreth
12-01-2009, 06:38 PM
They dont seem to be really grossed out like a few mates were, they just took it and now make a joke out of it, on the plus side, it makes my 13hour shifts at work go faster :)

sherri52
12-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Better that you go with the flow and keep the laughter then to have it bother you. I worked in a post office with 80 letter carriers who all worked thier routes on foot. We are packed like sardines in the morning sorting out our mail. They always pick on two types of people, the ones that go with the flow, and the ones that it bothered the most. When they find a reason to pick on someone else, on that day you'll get a day of grace.:hugs:

AmandaM
12-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Oh geez, I thought by "mick" you meant Irish!

Sarah89
12-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Its just banter :D

carolinoakland
12-02-2009, 02:00 PM
still, it has to be easier than living with the secret,no? Lies weigh more! Lose weight by telling the truth! Carol

abigailf
12-02-2009, 02:08 PM
But the cool thing is, is it could be just as bad as saying I'm a stamp collector or train spotter.

LOL That's funny ... however, I have a stamp collection. I wonder where I put it. Maybe I could sell it and buy some shoes.

I always looked at being teased and picked on (or mick'd) as a form of affection. If they really didn't like you, they wouldn't bother with you at all.

SuzanneBender
12-02-2009, 02:17 PM
I always looked at being teased and picked on (or mick'd) as a form of affection. If they really didn't like you, they wouldn't bother with you at all.

Very true. Boys are so silly. They either use humor, force or denial to deal with things that they don't understand. They would never talk through those feelings that wouldn't be macho.

Go with their humor and play along. Be proud of who you are even if when are teased about it. Girls like you are the heros for those that are afraid to walk out the door. :hugs:

Karren H
12-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Next time they do that.... Hit them with you purse!!

Alicia Grey
12-02-2009, 03:06 PM
After the jokes, the understanding begins

SuzanneBender
12-02-2009, 03:32 PM
After the jokes, the understanding begins

And if it doesn't take Karren's advice and hit them with your purse and little stomp on a toe with a high heel never hurts either.

Abi Kayli Brandreth
12-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Thing is, im not Becki at work, im basic boring Aaron :(

SuzanneBender
12-02-2009, 03:45 PM

Aaron needs a European shoulder bag (AKA Satchel or murse) to hit them with.....:heehee:

Fab Karen
12-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Here we'd head to DisneyLand to "take the Mickey."

Frédérique
12-02-2009, 07:54 PM

I’m fortunate to be self employed, thanks. I wouldn’t “come out” to my workmates under any circumstances, unless, of course, I worked in an atmosphere of creativity that fostered free thinking and tolerance. I do present myself as a somewhat effeminate male to my sister here at home (well, it’s my workplace), and she kids me in a loving way – does that count?

But the cool thing is, is it could be just as bad as saying I'm a stamp collector or train spotter.

I confess I have been both a stamp collector and a train spotter, but I’ve learned to control myself…:sad:

rayander01
12-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Or hit them with you bag of quarters. lol

shorty82
12-02-2009, 10:20 PM

So? I carry a purse to work and I'm definitely male there. It carries everything I might need at work and is a good place to keep anything I need to take to work with me but not have on me while working (like my phone). All of my coworkers that have seen me carry it know what it is at a glance as we used to sell it (I work in a gift shop at one of the theme parks in Central Florida).

SuzanneBender
12-02-2009, 11:35 PM
So? I carry a purse to work and I'm definitely male there. It carries everything I might need at work and is a good place to keep anything I need to take to work with me but not have on me while working (like my phone). All of my coworkers that have seen me carry it know what it is at a glance as we used to sell it (I work in a gift shop at one of the theme parks in Central Florida).

I poked fun at carry a bag en drab in my post only because I also carry one en drab. Its amazing how much grief you intially get for it but once the "guys" figure out how handy it is they start to envy it. I love having everthing in one place. Indiana Jones carries a purse why can't I when I am en drab.

Jodi M
12-03-2009, 02:20 AM
Becky,I think just the act of telling your workmates shows what a gutsy person you are. I give you a supersize cup of respect and admiration for that!

flic
12-03-2009, 05:12 AM
I guess lots of people try to have at least a bit of fun at work to pass the day a little quicker,,,it's a shame it's at your expense, but at least you can put a positive spin on it,,,and like the others say, if it gets worse, just handbag them in the balls!!
x flic x

lingerieLiz
12-03-2009, 05:49 AM
Frédérique, I've seen stories of construction workers being open crossdressers and they both have done well. Used to be a guy who owned a barge company and he would go all over wearing womens clothes. Even his country club. So don't assume that one line of work makes a difference. I've worked with some very intolerant artsy people.

Emma England
12-04-2009, 09:05 AM
I don't get it.

Why do they find it funny?

docrobbysherry
12-04-2009, 12:15 PM
I know in the Commonwealth countries people named "michael", r often called "Mic"!?

Never knew it was a form of derision, tho!:eek:

TabbyJames
12-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Hey Becky, just be whoever or whatever you feel comfortable being, I give you kudos for your courage. Perhaps a kiss on their cheeks with some bright red lipstick might help.

sophie13
12-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Where does the phrase "taking the mick", "taking the mickey" come from?

(Folklore/proverbial expressions)

Partridge's "Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English" dates this expression to c. 1950, and gives its origin as rhyming slang ("Mickey Bliss"). Mickey Bliss, thought to be BBC radio personality, has never been conclusively identified.

A competing theory is that "taking the mick" was derived from the verb, "micturate" (to urinate).

ie: to take the p*ss out of someone, poke fun,tease.
Hope this clears things up:)and good luck at work,someone else will soon be the new talking point.