PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Suburbs

bobbi
12-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Early next week I have to go to Oakbrook Terrace,IL for a couple of days for work. I will have Sunday and Monday evening to myself. Are there any gurl friendly places to go?
Thanks
Bobbi

Nicole Anne
12-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Hi all new here but love what i see. Chicago is a awesome city to explore

linnea
12-02-2009, 09:48 AM
It seems as if Chicago should have some CD-friendly places; I wish I knew. But you'll find something. Good luck.

AlisonRenee
12-02-2009, 11:33 AM
I googled "TG friendly Chicago" and found some websites of interest:

http://chicagotransgender.net/shopping-chicago.html

http://chicagotransgender.net/community-nightclubs.html

http://www.outinthesuburbs.com/GayLesbianBars.htm

Vieja
12-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Isn't Chicago the murder capital of the U.S.? Be careful.

Vieja

AlisonRenee
12-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Early next week I have to go to Oakbrook Terrace,IL for a couple of days for work. I will have Sunday and Monday evening to myself. Are there any gurl friendly places to go?
Thanks
Bobbi

You've piqued my curiosity, Bobbi, and I'm still looking around the web. This place looks like it might be fun.

http://www.velvetropeoakpark.com/index.html

Per Mapquest, it's 11 miles from Oakbrook Terrace, most of the route is east on 290.

Any of our Chicagoland ladies familiar with this place?

Hope
12-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Isn't Chicago the murder capital of the U.S.? Be careful.

I doubt it is the murder capitol, but it is not a nice place.

Having lived in Chicago what I always tell people is that it is a nice place to visit. Stay in the good neighborhoods, the touristy areas, in the loop, or not more than 2 blocks from the lake, and all will likely be fine. Of course it is a major metropolitan city - so you need to be smart, situationally aware, have your game face on, and be prepared to pay $60 to park your car...

Of course if you have a high 6 figure salary, it can be a nice place to live too... but if you have a high 6 figure salary, there are a lot nicer places to live.

On the near north side there is Andersonville (traditionally Swedish, but is currently a lesbian neighborhood) and Boys Town are both extraordinarily gay friendly. I would avoid, like the plague, anyplace south of the loop. As far as shops and places to go - Google is your friend. I know the MAC at the mall in Schaumburg is extraordinarily friendly and where I go for most of my makeup, but others might be good to... Schaumburg just happens to be near where I have my car serviced and on the way to O'hair for me. Oh god - that reminds me, I have to go to O'hair this week. Belch.

AlisonRenee
12-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Oh god - that reminds me, I have to go to O'hair this week. Belch.

-- Hope, dear, I'm having trouble reconciling the image in your avatar with "belch". Do nice girls make noises like that? :battingeyelashes:

jenna_woods
12-02-2009, 04:37 PM
hope you have a great time chicage must be a good place to explore

pattyv
12-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Hope-isn't that O'Hare?

AlisonRenee
12-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Hope-isn't that O'Hare?

Bad hare day.

http://btglite.com/9338431_008.jpg

Terrihoney
12-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi Bobbi!
There are gobs of great places to visit either in Chicago itself or most of the suburbs. Get to www.transformationsbyrori.com
Rori has a wonderful shop in Arlington Heights and the above link has a chat forum just like this one, but mostly local girls. Most likely there will be someone that can spend some time out with you.

Enjoy Oak Brook,
Hugs, Terri

LisaElizabeth
12-02-2009, 06:45 PM
There are a number of places within 30 minutes of Oak Brook terrace.
http://www.transformationbyrori.com has a 'links' section that can lead you to the Chi-tri-ess group and CGS (Chicago Gender Society) and 'Island Girls' websites. All of them have lists of 'T-friendly' places to visit.
The list is growing and IF you get a chance to run up to Arlington Heights to rori's store, (about 30 minute drive, they are open until 7PM) she can lead you to some real nice places even in the OakBrook area.
Have fun while you are there!!!
Lisa E

sissy meg
12-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Hi Bobbi,

Here are a couple suggestions. Hunters in Elk Grove Village is supposed to be a great hang out. I have never been there, but I hear a lot of people who have and enjoyed it.

There is a small dress shop that I have been to a number of times in Addison just north of Army Trail Road and RT53 on north east corner (there is also an adult rub and tug place next door).

I think the name of the store is Fashion Passion and they have strange hours (like open at 1:00 and closed on Tuesday's). They have been very helpfull in helping pick out and try on dresses, wigs, lingerie, etc. The sales assistant brought me a couiple new dresses to try on and when she came into the dressing room, I was standing there in my panties, bra, pantyhose and heels. She told me I had a nice ass and legs. I should have asked her if she wanted to touch them, but I was too chicken.

Also, as mentioned by a few others is transformations by Rori. She is fantastic and very friendly and helpful. Lots of things to try on.

Have fun

Meghan

vikki2020
12-03-2009, 01:05 AM
Hi Bobbi, Sunday and Monday are probably not the most active nights to go out, but Boys Town bars always have something going on. Halsted Street between Belmont and Addison. Spin and Berlin are big hangouts. Try to get a "Time Out Chicago" magazine--they have a daily rundown of whats happening for the week, and check the Gay/ Lesbian section.And, don't listen to all the horror stories--Chicago has some very bad neighborhoods, but so does every big city. The entertainment strips are very crowded,and safe.Parking can be a pain, but it won't cost you $60. Meters are $1 an hour, outside the loop.The worst thing---it's going to be COLD! Wear your thermal mini:)

Hope
12-03-2009, 03:47 AM
-- Hope, dear, I'm having trouble reconciling the image in your avatar with "belch". Do nice girls make noises like that?

Who ever said I was a nice girl? But you are right. Humpf. Pout.

Hope-isn't that O'Hare?

It is, but it is still dreadful, no matter how you spell it.

KELLYANN
12-03-2009, 05:05 AM
HI BOBBI if you will be in oakbrook, you'll not be far from transformationsbyrori. sooo TG friendly. call and rori, soto, or, olivia will give you directions. anyone can advise or suggest places to go. don't be nervous, half their costumers are TG. great place 1-847-454-0600 :hugs:

KELLYANN
12-03-2009, 05:07 AM
Bad hare day.

http://btglite.com/9338431_008.jpg
i love it!!

Angelofsomekind
12-03-2009, 07:57 AM
There are several places around here. I'm right next to Oakbrook also. We usually go up to Hunters in Elk Grove. I have heard that they require people to have ID's with pictures showing the gender they are dressed as, but I went once since they started that and have had no problem.

In the city there is Spin, Berlin, Sidetracks, and roscoe's. I went to roscoe's once and I was the only CD there, but no one cared. I recently heard about Velvet Rope, but haven't been there.

There used to be a place called Transformations I think, but they changed owners and are no longer a gay bar, so don't go there.

I don't know if Chicago is the murder capital of the world, but I wouldn't worry about it, I've been here about 27 years and have never had an issue, neither has anyone I have ever known.

bobbi
12-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Thanks everyone. Now I have some ideas of where to go. I'm still not positive I will go out or just dress and watch a movie in the hotel, but now I have choises, Thanks again
Bobbi

Jennifer_Ph
12-03-2009, 09:24 AM
You have to go to Rori's. The place is awesome. You can even schedule a full makeover - she does an incredible job. You'll be among friends. I was nervous as heck the first time I went there, but it was so easy once I was there - they make it so much fun. You'd really be missing out if you don't go there - you'll be amazed.

Diane Smith
12-04-2009, 01:17 AM
A friend and I went to the Velvet Rope back in September and found they had changed hands and are no longer sponsoring any gender-related events. It's still a nice, quiet, small friendly place for a meal and a drink, but not much happening there these days, and I doubt you would get much out of going in there alone. :sad:

- Diane

Angelofsomekind
12-04-2009, 08:02 AM
Had anyone here been to Hunters recently and had the ID issue? I keep hearing about it but I haven't heard of anyone who actually had it happen.

SANDRA MICHELLE
12-04-2009, 05:22 PM
First off, Oak Brook Terrace is no where near Chicago and is the high rent district in this area. Hunters is fun and safe, have not been there in a year but never have had a problem. I would strongly recommend a shopping trip to the mall at Woodfield, go en femme, nobody will care and you can walk for miles inside and shop till you drop. I have gone enfemme so many times there and have "never" had a problem. What ever you do don't just sit in your room, go out and have fun. Nobody will recognize you and they probably will never see you again, after all what are the odds?????? I get to Chicago quite often and it is quite possibly the best big city in the world, yes there are some bad neighborhoods but get yourself to the area just north of Wrigley field and you will find many places that you will not be out of place at.

Just go out and have fun!!!

KELLYANN
12-05-2009, 06:08 AM
HI GIRLS. concerning hunters, i've been going there for over 5 yrs. now (not a regular) but have always had a great time there, and never a problem with an ID issue. neither with the staff. very accomidating to us girls. last time there was june of this year, and no problem. since then, this contraversy has arisen. i've met many friends there. are we girls now off limits? would love to hear your thoughts on this. espec. from some reg. girls. post here or feel free to PM me. :hugs: KELLYANN

Angelofsomekind
12-05-2009, 12:31 PM
I may be going to Hunters tonight, so we'll see!

We didn't make it.

bobbi
12-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Well, its Sunday night and I had a terrific day. I dressed at a state park in a desereted washroom 15 miles from home and drove the next 150 miles dressed. Stopped at a rest area, used the bathroom and then over to the outlet mall, went to the gap and tried on a skirt but didn't buy it. Moved on and stopped at Woodfield mall. What a place, spent an hour and a half there, Had to pee again so off to a busy ladies room. No one even looked strange at me. Made a purchace at one store, I might have been read there but nothing happened, then on to the hotel for the night. I changed befor I got there. Got dressed in the room and watched a movie.
Bobbi

jo_ann
01-16-2010, 11:07 PM
I read some recent reviews on yelp and they aren't too nice:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/hunters-dance-club-elk-grove-village

"1)the same retarded techno pop "satisfaction" song or video that has greasy girls working with machinery
2) really old and really bad drag queens sitting creepily at the bar
3)B.O. on the dancefloor
4) dirty bathroom
5) really bad techno pop, really!"

"Hunters is the kind of bar you go to when you've been kicked out of every gay bar in Chicago and are possibly in the mood to meddle with some really bad drag queens who are more masculine than the brawny man. Hunters is the kind of place that you go to if you are ready and willing to possibly swallow down a roofie along with your over priced drink. Hunters is also a great place to bring your new car if your looking to get it keyed. Honest to god- you could drive to hunters, park you car, walk in, take a piss and leave and chances are... your cars been keyed. Fabulous, right?"

I hear good things about the place in blue island (club krave), anyone go there yet?

NathalieX66
01-16-2010, 11:25 PM
ex-Lincoln Park resident here...well, for two years anyway.
Suffice to say, when I moved to Chicago, it was the beginning of my purge & denial stage.....in spite of the fact that I'd peruse urnotalone.com.

My poor effing mind. :eek: