PDA

View Full Version : Passing vs. Not, closetedvs. Out, potential sticky thread?

JiveTurkeyOnRye
12-02-2009, 11:14 AM
I think we can all agree that these two debates come up a lot, and often the points of both sides get repeated frequently, and can turn personal or insulting fast or at least people get misunderstood. Does anybody else think that it might be a good idea to create a sticky thread for either or both of these topics and kick them off with the generally accepted pros and cons of both sides, or at least the "why we feel this way" arguments? It could even be anonymous the way the "say anything" threads are, so that responses aren't personal?

Thoughts?

Holly
12-02-2009, 11:41 AM
I don't think making any thread a sticky that, "can turn personal or insulting fast" is a good idea. "Passing" is a very personal issue. My pros could very well be your cons and vis-versa. In my opinon the debate about "passing" only serves to give rise to the opportunity to judge others and that is not such a good idea... again, my opinion.

GaleWarning
12-02-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm gonna pass on this one!
:)

AllieSF
12-02-2009, 02:12 PM
I am going to try to fit in and pass on this one too.

sherri
12-02-2009, 03:02 PM
If the Mods honored every sticky suggestion, we'd have to click to, like, page 5 to see the new posts.

Besides, one thing you learn about this forum (most forums, actually) is that it all gets run through the wash and rinse cycles over and over again anyway, what with membership churn, newbies, pink fog, ADD, senility, etc. -- not to mention subject Search dysfunction, of which I'm as guilty as anyone.

MAJESTYK
12-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Yep, I agree on that. PASS, way too touchy a subject.

GypsyKaren
12-03-2009, 01:22 AM
It would just give a platform for never ending arguments, I don't think anyone on staff would go for it.

Karen

CherylFlint
12-03-2009, 02:01 AM
Hey, whatever floats your boat. Passing, or a least getting out there in the big bad scary world and making a real effort, is like sex, either you're a virgin or you're not.

trannie T
12-03-2009, 02:23 AM
I don't pass but do not think it makes much of a difference.

tonixd
12-03-2009, 02:33 AM
Lol... I feel like I open the can of worms.

It might not be a bad idea quoting some of the better answers to both points of view and putting them in a locked thread so people can look at them and say "Hey, there's the answer!" or "That pisses me off.", but they can't post back and piss others off.

Good, bad, ugly?

Andy66
12-03-2009, 03:13 AM
Ryan, I like the basic premise, but... maybe combined with Toni's idea or something like that. At least you're trying to come up with solutions. Good on ya!

JiveTurkeyOnRye
12-03-2009, 09:53 AM
I appreciate everyone's feedback, and I also liked Toni's idea, though I also think the thing I suggested in the original post, making it an anonymously posted topic like the "Say anything" threads are, would go a long way towards making it less personal and more about the issue itself. Even if it were not anonymous, I feel like having the topic delegated to one thread that can be policed easier wouldn't be a totally horrible idea. I do see people's points though about having a sticky thread that is so conflicting in nature. It was just a thought because I've seen so many threads get hijacked lately, and been guilty of contributing to that myself, that I was hoping maybe there was a solution to it.

docrobbysherry
12-03-2009, 12:34 PM
The only OTHER way to research topics, is to go BACK thru all the OLD THREADS!:doh:

In MY two+ years here, I may have read a HUNDRED threads that have dealt with one or another aspect of "passing"!:eek:

It's a subject that continues to intrigue me! And, apparently, I'm NOT alone!:brolleyes:

AllieSF
12-03-2009, 03:06 PM
I think that we sometimes get carried away and flame too much as it is. Notice that I said "we". It would be many times worse if we used anonymous postings. Imagine being able to really cut down someone's comment anonymously! It would be very interesting and entertaining reading though.