PDA

View Full Version : Transgender-related Acronym List (TAL)

Stephanie Heplby
12-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Having repeatedly seen the question “What does the acronym “XYZ” mean?”, I put together those that came to my mind or that I saw trolling the boards. I think it would be great if people contribute others that I missed. I will happily go back and update my original post to include any others that people mention. This list does not include “standard” internet- or leet-speak items (e.g., “LOL”, “BTW”, “FWIW”, “YMMV”).

Disclaimer1: This list attempts to be factual only. Inclusion of an acronym on this list is purely explanatory, and must not be seen as an endorsement. Excluding some acronyms does not provide people with the information they need to achieve greater understanding.

Disclaimer2: I don’t claim to be an authority, I just started collecting these and thought I would share.

Disclaimer3: I don’t know if this is the best board to host this list, but it seems like the highest traffic board.

Transgender-related Acronym List (TAL)

CD – Crossdresser (noun), crossdress (verb) (also cognates, e.g., CDing, CDer, CDs) can refer to MtF or FtM equally, depending on context
DHT – Dihydrotestosterone, a byproduct of Testosterone. DHT production is blocked by drugs like Finasteride.
dMtM – deformed Male-to-Male (genetic female who identifies as male, in a deformed body; see also FtM)
E – Estrogen, when used in the context of HRT
FFS – Facial Feminization Surgery
FHRT – Female Hormone Replacement Therapy (see also HRT)
FtM – Female-to-Male (genetic female who dresses or identifies as male; see also dMtM)
GB – Genetic Boy (see also GM)
GF – Genetic Female (rare; see other GF entry)
GF – Girl Friend (more common; see other GF entry)
GG – Genetic Girl
GID – Gender Identity Disorder
GLBT – Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender (community moniker; see also LGBT)
GM – Genetic Male (see also GB)
GQ – Gender Queer
GRS – Gender Reassignment Surgery (see also SRS)
HRT – Hormone Replacement Therapy (see also FHRT and MHRT)
LGBT – Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (community moniker; see also GLBT)
MHRT – Male Hormone Replacement Therapy (see also HRT)
MtF – Male-to-Female (genetic male who dresses or identifies as female)
PFLAG – Parents, Family, and Friends of Lesbians And Gays (organization)
RLE – Real Life Experience
SA – Sales Associate / Sales Assistant (the person who works in a store selling you stuff, rather than a state in Australia)
SO – Significant Other (for example spouse, long-time lover, boyfriend, girlfriend, etc)
SRS – Sexual Reassignment Surgery (see also GRS)
T – Testosterone, when used in the context of HRT or MHRT
T – Trans(gender/sexual), when used in the context of individual identity
TG – Transgender / Transgendered (see also TS, TV)
TS – Transsexual (see also TG, TV)
TV – Transvestite (see also TG, TS)

Karren H
12-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Wow... Good job!! That's a large list.... I think I'm going back to writing everything out long hand from now on! Laugh Out Loud!! :)

My Blackberry has a translation table and I already have a few things in there so when I type I M H O it comes out "in my humble opinion". I'm going to add some of yours. Hust hope my boss doesn't borrow my Blackberry to type a memo.. Ekkkkk.

Lorileah
12-02-2009, 12:42 PM
GF – Genetic Female (rare; see other GF entry)
GF – Girl Friend (more common; see other GF entry)

That became an endless loop for me.

I like MID or MIS for men in dresses or Men in skirts (but then we need men in tights which becomes a copyright infringement)

Emma England
12-04-2009, 09:11 AM
How about N for normal? :D

DiannaRose
12-04-2009, 09:35 AM
That became an endless loop for me.

I like MID or MIS for men in dresses or Men in skirts (but then we need men in tights which becomes a copyright infringement)

ToM - Tights on Men? No, too passive. Doesn't convey the meaning.
MWT - Men Wearing Tights? Hmmm...No, it's ambiguous. Could be read as men-wearing tights--which is just plain silly. :)
TWM - Tights Wearing Men? Same ambiguosity
MITOP - Men in Tights or Pantyhose? - A bit long, but could work.
MWLTWT - Men Who Like to Wear Tights. Yikes! Even longer. I like MITOP better because it makes a pronounceable acronym.

:D

Teri Jean
12-04-2009, 10:49 AM
LOLOTF (lauphing out loud on the floor)

We have so many abbreviations for the common language that it has become almost impossible to understand that already difficult language. What ever.

Teri

Stephanie Heplby
12-04-2009, 11:15 AM
LOLOTF (lauphing out loud on the floor)

We have so many abbreviations for the common language that it has become almost impossible to understand that already difficult language. What ever.

Not to pick nits with anyone, but what I was trying to do here was document abbreviations that appear somewhat regularly on this site and others, rather than creating new ones.

I was trying (perhaps unsuccessfully) to reduce the level of confusion for new folks on these boards.

And I just ran across another one this morning:
FFS - Facial Feminization Surgery

(Though, to be clear, the humorous posts are also welcome.)

Lorileah
12-04-2009, 11:38 AM
I was trying (perhaps unsuccessfully) to reduce the level of confusion for new folks on these boards.

:lol2: Half the fun here is watching the Noobs try and decipher posts, you going to take that away from us seniors? Which brings up another point, even those who have been here for years can't agree on definitions. You say trangender, I say Crossdresser. TG...CD...TS...DQ lets call the whole thing off.

Is someone going to make a dictionary at CD.com so we can all agree...what?...we can't agree?....but, we need to agree. :wn::confused3:

amanda gg
12-04-2009, 11:46 AM
This is worse than the military! I thought they had alot of acronyms. I have alot to learn!:)

Karren H
12-04-2009, 12:01 PM
So DQ is....... Dairy Queen?? Now I'm getting hungry for a Dilly Bar!

Did we forget Moobs!! Man Boobs! Lol

AllieSummers
12-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Add this one to the list...

SO - Significant Other

Kisses,

Allie

TabbyJames
12-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Alright, you put a smile on my face this morning, there are so many acronyms but I am still trying to decipher Pink Fog. anyone want to take a stab at it?

Stephanie Heplby
12-04-2009, 01:47 PM
[...] even those who have been here for years can't agree on definitions. You say trangender, I say Crossdresser. TG...CD...TS...DQ lets call the whole thing off.

Is someone going to make a dictionary at CD.com so we can all agree...what?...we can't agree?....but, we need to agree. :wn::confused3:

In both seriousness and jest, you will note that I assiduously avoided any attempt at a "definition" of such terms. I merely "spell out" the acronyms.

I don't own enough asbestos camis to protect me from the flames that would ensue from an attempt at "definition"...

Stephanie Heplby
12-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Good one, can't believe I missed that!

Consider it done!

Persephone
12-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Seriously, I thought GLBT had been replaced by GLBTIQQS - Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transexual Intersex Queer Questioning Straight.

And that GLBTIQQS had been recently updated to GLBTIQQSR - Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transexual Intersex Queer Questioning Straight Republican (Tip o' the hat to someone else on this board)

Fab Karen
12-04-2009, 05:39 PM
How about N for normal? :D

We don't endorse fictional concepts. :)

Rianna Humble
12-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Alright, you put a smile on my face this morning, there are so many acronyms but I am still trying to decipher Pink Fog. anyone want to take a stab at it?

Pure
Indulgence
Not
Knowing
Female
Or
Guy
:heehee:

rayander01
12-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Ya know what I think. I think I'll stay out of this one. Or not. They're all good. Thanks to all.

Rey