PDA

View Full Version : my updates, society, other insights, etc

Sara82
12-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Well I've made a lot of progress lately. I've recently built a new wardrobe for myself, after tossing almost all of my guy clothes out. I put my dresses, skirts, and wigs into storage, and have created what I call a Glamorous androgynous look created by mostly women's clothing, accessories,makeup and a bit of guidance from Men's Designer runway collections. Think Adam Lambert, but with more color and variety :D

I've been reading lots of fashion magazines, and following a lot of runway shows from Gucci, Dior, Burberry, Gaultier, etc etc. Just generally looking for ways to blend male, and female fashion. I've found some inspiration from the many of the women's "Boyfriend Collection" designs, as well as looking at the high-end designer male collections, that seem to have a more feminine design. Unfortunately I can't afford any these designer clothes, and most men clothing that is readily available for the mainstream is far from European cutting edge fashion. Some of my outfits are a perfect blend, others are a bit more skewed towards a female look. And sometimes I just don't care about balance :)

I've been thinking alot about society, and what we have to deal with as either crossdressers, transgendered, gender-queer, and what have you. It's important that we get out of the house, and put ourselves out there, and show the world that we aren't wierdos, but just a little different. I feel like I'm now starting to atleast play my part to help shift attitudes in hopefully a better direction for us. I don't want to isolate myself to just the GLBT community, but rather put myself into all facets of my community.

It's definitely going to be a slow process, but if we take small steps, I think the transition will be much easier for society as a whole.

Anyhow my day to day experiences at work and out in the world have been fun. I get a lot of looks and comments from people now, but I don't feel like a wierdo, rather I know I look different, as people aren't used to seeing a guy with a feminine fashion sense and I'm really enjoying the attention. Today I was at the mall though wearing a my new Liz Claiborne black mid-length wool coat(fabulous coat, not cut too feminine), with my new Georgio Brutini men's heeled ankle boots(they look totally fem). I had some eye-liner and foundation on, and my hair was styled a bit feminine. So as I walk into the mall, this elderly woman stops dead in her tracks, to give me second glance as I walk by. It kind of made me uncomfortable for the rest of my time at the mall, but I got over it. Just when I thought my confidence was at a all time high, I let this old lady get the best of me. Atleast I know my skin will be thicker next time :) Sorry for such a long post, hope you enjoyed reading if you did.

Much Love and Respect!!

Spacey
12-04-2009, 07:30 PM
We are definitely one of the last groups to be accepted into society. Probably for the most part because we are an invisible minority. I would agree we should make ourselves more visible, more an everyday kinda thing. It's quite a scary frontier. Good on you for taking charge and moving on.

sherri52
12-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Good for you Julia: I hope your new design ideas hit it off. As you say another step in our direction.

Karren H
12-04-2009, 08:26 PM
We are definitely one of the last groups to be accepted into society.

Yeah... we will be....... some day..... right behind aliens from outer space.... when ever they get here.... sigh....