PDA

View Full Version : Arrgh! I just lost a post I just spent a 1/2 hr writing!

Erin Li
12-07-2009, 07:18 AM
Cursed iPhone! I just spent the last 1/2 hr writing a post about an awesome shopping trip I had and when I clicked on preview, I got logged out! It was a lengthy one, even for typing with this tiny keyboard. Lesson learned, must copy all before submitting. Hopefully soon I'll feel like typing it all out again, but for now it's time to rest. I need at least 2 hrs sleep before work. Good night forum

Just to keep this about cd'ing I'll just say that had an experience Friday that was a femme shopping trip crossdressed as a male shopping trip. More to follow...

Persephone
12-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Sorry to hear what happened, Erin. Looking forward to reading your story when you do get a chance to post it.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Kathi Lake
12-07-2009, 01:14 PM
As someone who writes slightly longer-than-average posts, :) I find it is a good practice to save early and often. Usually about midway through, I will select all and copy, and keep doing that throughout the post. Also, even when it logs yu out, it does save your post. Usually you log in and it will be posted.

Kathi

MissKara
12-07-2009, 06:16 PM
I hate typing on the iPhone, thus why i rarely post from it.

Love,
Miss Kara

SuzanneBender
12-07-2009, 08:16 PM
iPhones are the epitome of technology. The allow you to do so much but they also have so many quirks that most of the time they just manage to frustrate you. I think apple is full of sadistic engineers that take great pleasure in teasing us and then just providing pain and frustration.

I am sorry you lost your post. I love reading them and can't wait until you get it posted.

jenna_woods
12-07-2009, 08:21 PM
glad you had a great shopping trip, be waiting to her the rest of the story.

Rebecca Jayne
12-07-2009, 08:24 PM
When I know I will make a long entry I use a word doc. and save it then copy and post for I have lost entries before, like you are timed out of the system.

sherri52
12-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Sorry about your lost post. Sounds like it was a good one. Hope you feel like writing it again.

GypsyKaren
12-07-2009, 11:12 PM
The Forum has a timer, click the "Remember Me" box when you log in to bypass it.

Karen :g1:

Melinda G
12-07-2009, 11:19 PM
What's an Iphone? :D

Susan.
12-07-2009, 11:30 PM
I've used to log on without checking the stay logged on box and I would get timed out but wouldn't find out until I hit submit.

Shikyo
12-08-2009, 02:53 AM
I know how it feels to lose a lot of text. I once lost 2 hours work of writing(about 5 000 words) when I was writing a e-mail to a friend of mines but I couldn't use a software for that but was doing it via the webmail. Of course, during that time when I was writing it just logged me out and when I wanted to send the message it was simply gone. All the hard work. The only choice as to start writing again the same message over and over again this time copying it away before sending the send button.

I do give you credits on writing on a phone for that long. Hopefully the next time will go better and you won't lose all your text.

When I'm writing longer texts, mainly PM's, in this forum I tend to open up another tab so I can just go there and refresh it to keep myself logged so that when I send the PM it won't get lost or any other trouble at all. Not sure can you do this without big problems on an iPhone though. You could always try it like that or just use the remember button when you log in.

What's an Iphone? :D

This is an iPhone (http://www.mapds.com.au/newsletters/0807/iphone_home.gif)

Frédérique
12-08-2009, 10:35 AM
I just spent the last 1/2 hr writing a post about an awesome shopping trip I had and when I clicked on preview, I got logged out! It was a lengthy one, even for typing with this tiny keyboard. Lesson learned, must copy all before submitting.

I used to get logged out all the time while trying to type my cute little posts in the provided boxes. Not quite the same thing, I know, but I learned to write everything off-site and save, save, save! I wrote a lengthy post not too long ago that I accidentally deleted, but I was able to remember most of it and rescue what I could. Whenever I feel the urge to write something I grab a few quotes, paste them into “Word,” then log out, crawl back to my closet, and begin writing in earnest. Oh, if I start yawning I go to bed, but I always hit “save” first…:doh:

Kathi Lake
12-08-2009, 11:18 AM
I think apple is full of sadistic engineers that take great pleasure in teasing us and then just providing pain and frustrationHeyyyyyy! Although I don't work for Apple, I am an Apple developer. We try to make our software as easy-to-use and idiot-resistant (nothing is idiot-proof - the world just keeps making better and better idiots) as possible. :)

Kathi

docrobbysherry
12-08-2009, 12:32 PM
By the way, I think proper grammer is, "My phone". Not, " I phone"!:brolleyes:

SuzanneBender
12-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Heyyyyyy! Although I don't work for Apple, I am an Apple developer. We try to make our software as easy-to-use and idiot-resistant (nothing is idiot-proof - the world just keeps making better and better idiots) as possible. :)

Kathi

:heehee: Kathi, OMG how can such a cute lady with such great tastes be a Sadist! I would have never suspected.....:heehee:

I am sorry for my misplaced displeaser with my inability to maximize the wonderful capabilities that you have provided me with my Iphone. The truth is I can never picture myself owning another phone.......

I still think you and your fellow designers and engineers stand around the water coolers dreaming of ways that you are going to provide us techno challeged idiots will hope and then pull the rug out from under us.

Love you and Apple. Macs and Iphones rock!!!

Sherry unless you are a phone and then the proper grammer would be I am a phone.

Erin Li
12-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Wow there’s so much to quote and respond to! I didn’t get one of those little reminders that there was activity on this thread, and thought it had gone unread! Thanks everyone for the advice on how not to lose the posts in the future, I’m typing this on Word right now, and plan to save often, even more than autosave does!

I fought getting an Iphone since it came out, because I knew it was awesome and I would be using it for everything. Case in point, starting this thread at 4 something in the morning after reading other posts for the hours preceding it. I finally gave in after my SO bought one for $40 from a co-worker. She appealed to my cheapskate sensibilities and I couldn’t resist.

Heyyyyyy! Although I don't work for Apple, I am an Apple developer. We try to make our software as easy-to-use and idiot-resistant (nothing is idiot-proof - the world just keeps making better and better idiots) as possible. :)

Kathi

Kathi, even though the hardware was designed to be easy-to-use also, I can’t figure out the one button mouse!

Ok, well I finally got my steam built back up to write this post, so here goes (and I’ll try to keep it short):

Girly Shopping Trip Crossdressed as Boy Shopping Trip

Last Friday I was with a good guy friend of mine, and we had a few hours to kill while we waited for my wedding invitations to be printed up. We decided to go to Wal-Mart since it was close by and he needed a Waterpik and I needed glue sticks for the invites. I knew the layout of this Wal-Mart so positioned myself so that I could walk next to my buddy and subtly, but intently; look at the women’s clothes section as we walked by. Before we even reached the women’s section, my friend sees zip-up hooded sweatshirts in the men’s section and heads right to it. Damn! I hate shopping for guy clothes! Can’t we just get this trip over with so I can see what they have and come back to buy it without you?

I positioned myself so that I could look at the hoodies and still eyeball the cute skirts and new winter tops not more than 10 feet away. I picked up a brown hoodie and told my friend that I’d wanted to get a brown hoodie for some time now. As I looked up to talk to him, I saw a big sign behind him that said $12, and under it were tons of jeans. Men’s jeans. I then told him that I’d been wanting to get new jeans, and something less baggy and more age appropriate. So I went to the jeans section and already I could feel it. I was having a girly shopping trip! The only things missing were that he’s not a CD, I’m not dressed, and we’re shopping for boy clothes. What made it a girly shopping trip? Glad you asked.

Usually, when it comes to guys clothes, I just make one pass through the section, grab whatever I see that might fit ok, then head to the electronics section. Having fun shopping for clothes is something I thought I reserved for clingy, cute clothes with empire waists, spaghetti straps, and buttons and zippers on the left side. What made it a girly shopping trip was that we were there, grazing around, chit chatting, just shopping. Shopping to shop. We went to our separate dressing rooms and tried on jeans, and the feeling made me think of what it must be like when women go shopping together. I came out of the dressing room with the one of the pairs of jeans on and asked him what he thought. Of course it had a guy-talk tone to it (Hey, do these jeans look f—ked up?)

I could have stayed there for hours just browsing around the men’s section. This wasn’t a normal trip to the store to get some stuff. This time was different. This time I got to do the things Erin likes to do, but with my best friend, and I was trying clothes on that made me feel good about how I look as a guy. 3 pairs of jeans, 1 shirt, and 1 brown hoodie later, we were in line, ready to give our credit cards a good workout. My poor friend didn’t even get his Waterpik.

Anyways, I tried to keep this short and look what happened. I also think the sleep deprived, 4 in the morning version read much better, but oh well, at least I didn’t lose this copy.

(Side note: the new skinny jeans I bought look good with the hoodie and with my Vans. They’ll look even better with a scoop neck blouse and 4” black boots. Woo hoo! My first androgynous clothes!)

Presh GG
12-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Don't you just HATE It when that happens ??????????????

Laughing
Presh GG

trannie T
12-11-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm sorry you lost all that work on your IPhone but at least you had something to keep your mind off your driving as you wrote it.

Melinda G
12-11-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm sorry you lost all that work on your IPhone but at least you had something to keep your mind off your driving as you wrote it.

Now that's funny.:D

How does one type out lengthy posts on that little thing?

Amanda Styles
12-11-2009, 03:25 AM
Now that's funny.:D

How does one type out lengthy posts on that little thing?

with great difficulty

Brooke Smith
12-11-2009, 09:31 AM
The Forum has a timer, click the "Remember Me" box when you log in to bypass it.

Karen :g1:

Fortunately someone pointed this out to me awhile back.I'm glad I'm not the only literately challenged dinosaur out here. I used to get timed out all the time with just a few unintelligible sentences written. Now with "remember me" and spell check, I can languish for hours.:doh: