PDA

View Full Version : Ever Take A Dance Class?

brassieres
12-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Have you ever taken a dance class and if so how did it go? What kind of class did you take also and did en femme when you went as well?

Brandi Wyne
12-08-2009, 03:05 PM
I took a few ballroom dance classes with my wife but I didn't feel I wanted the investment of keeping up with it all.

XXs
Mickey

Nicole Anne
12-08-2009, 03:29 PM
I have went to some line dancing classes. Only underdressed for that. I used to go to aerobics 3 times a wk. I have went to aerobics dressed one time in a city close to home, and realized afterwards it was not a good thing to do at that point. Very sweaty and hard t keep wig and all in place.

kellycan27
12-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Salsa! check out this video, I took my first lesson in the Bahamas, and I got hooked. We have a group that goes salsa dancing 3 or 4 times a month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSSTwbAj_BU

windycissy
12-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Yep, took square dancing lessons last year with some GLBT boys and girls, it's fun dancing the girl's part because you're so totally "in the moment" and the petticoats and curtsying are way cool!

sissystephanie
12-08-2009, 06:40 PM
I took dance classes when in High School, and sometimes had to be the girl!:D Not enfemme, though!:sad: Took them again when I got engaged! I am so tone deaf that it really was a waste of money! My dear late wife usually led when we danced, because it was easier for her to lead me than try to follow a tone deaf person!

SuzanneBender
12-08-2009, 07:09 PM
I strapped on my two left shoes and took ballroom dance lessons about five years ago and loved it! The lessons were en drab. I can't lead to save my life. However, I have been told I dance wonderful when en femme and following. Hmmmm go figure.

sherri52
12-08-2009, 07:15 PM
I took dance lessons with my second wife and learned a number of dances. Unfortunately my wife didn't have the rythm to make the dances flow. I danced alot with my instructor.

sherri
12-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Salsa! check out this video, I took my first lesson in the Bahamas, and I got hooked. We have a group that goes salsa dancing 3 or 4 times a month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSSTwbAj_BUYou got me excited there for a second, I thought we were going to get to see you dancing. Hint hint.

Brina Halloween
12-08-2009, 07:45 PM
You got me excited there for a second, I thought we were going to get to see you dancing. Hint hint.

I'll second that. The couple at the beginning is good though. My favorite dance instructor laughed for 2 minutes when I showed up in a skirt, blouse, heels and make-up last year before Halloween. I made her Halloween dance this year as a Lady Gypsy. I can follow some and often have her lead me when I am learning things. A few other ladies I know lead and will lead me occasionally. I need some refresher classes for Salsa but, if I make LV....I would like to see some Salsa dancing.

Brina

MissKara
12-08-2009, 07:47 PM
I, and when I say I, I mean Karl not Kara, am a ballroom dance teacher for a small studio in Ringwood Victoria :D Been dancing for 5 years, did competition dancing and have been a teacher for around a year. I love it!

Love,
Miss Kara

Randee
12-08-2009, 08:00 PM
I took a jazz/ballet class with my gf and 6 other ladies one night a week for two years. I did not go en femme. After all I was her boyfriend. But they were happy to have a guy in their class and after showing up in them the first class, I was expected to be in leotards and tights just like all the ladies wore. In class they still treated me like just one of the girls though they loved to make teasing comments.Rather than just standing around while they rehearsed, they suggested I learn the all girl number for the recital and loaned me a wrap skirt to dance out of. All in all it was fun being part of the troupe for a couple of hours, dancewear and all. I suggest anyone interested give it a try and share your experience here.

brassieres
12-08-2009, 08:09 PM
So they wanted you to go enfemme? I would say this is probably the exception than the norm for a a mostly girl dominated class.

SuzanneBender
12-08-2009, 08:16 PM
A video is worth at least a thousand words. I couldn't help but post this. Its appropriate and one of my favs on you tube. Its not me but if I owned a school of dance....."hit it Maestro"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiIthEIUtj4

kellycan27
12-08-2009, 08:38 PM
I'll second that. The couple at the beginning is good though. My favorite dance instructor laughed for 2 minutes when I showed up in a skirt, blouse, heels and make-up last year before Halloween. I made her Halloween dance this year as a Lady Gypsy. I can follow some and often have her lead me when I am learning things. A few other ladies I know lead and will lead me occasionally. I need some refresher classes for Salsa but, if I make LV....I would like to see some Salsa dancing.

Brina

The Las Vegas Salsa Congress was held during the first week of July this year, but if you want to salsa we have numerous clubs that feature salsa dancing. Club Rio is one of my favorite haunts. Venus lounge at the Venitian,The Gold Coast on Flamingo Rd, and Las Palmas Mariachi Restaurant on E.Sahara, just to name a few. Club Rio and Las Palmas are geared more for the more serious salsa addicts, but anyone can dance. And Las Palmas used to ( not sure if they still do ) give free lessons before the club opens.

Kel

jenna_woods
12-08-2009, 09:03 PM
took dance lessons in high school,

StephanieC
12-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Yup...I took dance lessons (ballroom) at the downtown office of Authur Murray...did competition. But it's been awhile since I've really danced up a storm. I will say though, that once you know how to dance, you'll never be at a loss for a dance partner.

dilane
12-08-2009, 11:10 PM
I've taken dance lessons en-femme at a couple of straight dance studios.

Tons of fun, but spooky at first. I got to know the teachers, who were very nice. Stood in the outer circle with the other women as the men rotated around every few minutes.

I've taken swing and salsa. Maybe I'll write it up.

I go dancing most weekends at straight clubs, but most of the time it's just non-pair dancing. Most of the guys aren't that well trained in pair dancing.

In L.A., there are also opportunities to take lessons (country and ballroom) at gay clubs, and there are gay dance classes such as "Let's Dance!" where there are XX's who want to lead and XY's who want to follow :).

-- Diane

linnea
12-08-2009, 11:28 PM
I haven't taken a dance class yet, but I want to--en femme. When I do it's going to be ballroom I think. It's definitely on my "to do" list.

brassieres
12-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Could be interesting if you are doing the follow in the dance as opposed to the lead.

MissKara
12-09-2009, 01:59 AM
I have been considering when I can get Kara all sorted out, going to do dance classes as a beginner at one of our other studios (Now, forgetting all the I learnt will be hard) and see what it is like :P

Lots of Love,
Miss Kara

Jocelyn Quivers
12-09-2009, 09:03 AM
I took some Latin Dance classes in male mode a few years ago. I was horrible at it (too stiff) to the point that every week I went, my dance partner from the previous week would no longer show up.

Amy Lynn3
12-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Does clogging count ? My teenage daughter and I took lessons together, but she left me in her dust and went on to dance with the National Champions for several years running.

Leanne2
12-09-2009, 09:32 AM
I was very shy as a child. I was mortified when my mother signed me up for ballroom dance class at the junior high. But soon I learned to love it and couldn't wait to go. Our instructors were two women that lived together. They were probably gay but back then we didn't even know what that was. The last lesson was a formal dance. The girls wore bouffant party dresses but I was stuck in a suit. Enjoyed it anyway.
Then in college I took square dance lessons. It was fun but I wanted to wear the dress and petticoats and be spun around. Now I'm too old and stiff to do anything more than a slow dance shuffle. Leanne

brassieres
12-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Does clogging count ? My teenage daughter and I took lessons together, but she left me in her dust and went on to dance with the National Champions for several years running.

Yes, I'd say it counts. :)

Sally2005
12-10-2009, 01:02 AM
Yes, ballroom years ago with my wife. I went out on halloween this year and did some Salsa dance and that was fun. I had a wedding dress on and although I have two left feet, it was awsome to mimic the women's dancing and no one could see under my dress to catch the wild moves I was practicing.

Tracy_cd
12-10-2009, 02:04 PM
I took some ball room classes with my wife a few years back. I was not dressed of course. Wife knows (and knew before we married), but does not want to be part of this side of me. Not that I would take the lessons in fem though...

Anyway, in the group practice sessions there was a T-girl. I don't know if she was part time, full time, or what. She was larger than me (probably in the 5'10" range), a bit on the heavy side. She was quite a bit larger than all the other ladies, but passed pretty good. Her voice was not great, so she whispered. I am pretty sure other people knew, but they were very polite.

So, in the process of this dancing, we frequently switched partners and I danced with her several times during the course of the program over a few months. It was a little different for me since she was noticeably bigger than me, especially her hands. Since this was ball room, we were face to face... But, she was very "light" in her touch and moved softly for a bigger gal. She was a good dancer and I thought it was really cool she had the courage to be herself. Especially since she had to partner with strangers at such a close proximity! Confidence, that is all I can say...

I did not share my "secret", just treated her like all the other ladies. In fact, all the guys treated her like any of the other ladies.

Very cool...

Tracy

Joanie_Shakti
12-10-2009, 09:55 PM
I wish there was an Arthur Murray or Fred Astair studio in this town. I have contemplated taking Latin dancing through the junior college here, but the sessions are too late for me to get enough sleep for work the next day.

Started doing Zumba a few months ago, it's fun, though I have two left feet. I have to constantly watch the instructor to do the moves. She moves so easily. Then if I happen to look at my hulking self in the mirror, it throws me completely off. I thought I was half way coordinated until I started the class. :laughing:

brassieres
12-10-2009, 09:59 PM
I have actually taken lessons at both, pretty interesting to say the least. Back then they would lure you in with a 3 lessons for $10 deal, then drop the bomb for $500 for lessons, etc.

NathalieX66
12-10-2009, 10:23 PM
I took classes in swing dancing, and my instructor was a flaming gay guy.
I give credit to him for having the fortitude to be a demonstrating partner to me a number of times in front of everyone.

sterling12
12-11-2009, 12:35 AM
John does Jitterbug, Lindy-Hop, Cha-Cha, Waltzing, Meringue', Foxtrot, etc., etc.. Joanie might be able to "follow" someone leading a slow dance.

But, it's not so bad for Joanie when she goes to these LGBT Events, almost everyone in The TG Community does only linedances and "free-style." With Freestyle everyone just looks like "A Hamster in a Blender." And Most Line Dances are about like The Cha-Cha Slide; if you can't learn the darn thing in about two choruses, there's something very wrong with your brain-body coordination!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Samantha Kelsey
12-11-2009, 02:50 AM
Many years ago I went to dance classes with my first wife and my pal and his wife. We took Rock &Roll classes. Everything went well and eventually the coach a lovely young, slightly chubby girl said we were ready for more exciting stuff. She picked me out as her partner and told me what we would do. She would run towards me and leap up then I would lift her over my head. She would then finish the move by sliding down my back and I would reach for and pull her through my legs. Simples eh?

She ran & leapt, I grabbed her and threw her over my head (I was a very fit firefighter), she landed in a crumpled heap on the floor behind me rubbing her head and bottom. We never finished the move nor did we take any more dance classes.