PDA

View Full Version : Something my Mom never taught me, Ladies Room Etiquette

tinak415
12-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Hi,

Hopefully this question is not out of line on the forum. But I have a question re something my Mom never thought I would need to know. Looking for help/tips on etiquette in the ladies room so I don't get read or have problems.

First I'm well aware standing is not an option here and it a dead give away.

But I'm thinking of some other things. In guy mode it easy to unzip the fly or drop you pants as the needs arise. But what I'm wondering is what is the proper way of dealing with a dress or skirt?

While in a skirt, does one lift the skirt up above the waist line, lower panties and pantyhose. Or does one lower the skirt as well, ie simular to lowering one's pants.

How about while in a dress. Does one take the dress off and take care of business or does one lift the hem line above the waist, etc.

Also is there any other tips I need to know re the ladies room?

I know this is a bit of an odd question, but like I said, this is something my mom never thought I would need to know when I was growing up.

Thanks for you help!
Tina

Kerigirl2009
12-08-2009, 05:44 PM
I was just thinking about this earlier as I had my skirt on
For me if I am wearing a skirt I would lower it like I would my pants.

For a dress I would definately pull it up and out of the way as I am not going to undress to use the toilot.

Always sit when en femme Be proper.:)

Angelofsomekind
12-08-2009, 05:59 PM
I would lift both up, I don't want anything touching the floor.

ggtracy
12-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Just the lift the skirt and dress.

MAJESTYK
12-08-2009, 06:09 PM
The proper way is to raise the skirt or dress to the waist and gather them toward the front of you. One would never let your clothes touch the floor and , depending on the condition of the facilities, you dont usually sit down either. The ladies call it the " hover". If there is a hook on the door for hanging your things, you put your purse and any outer garments such as your jacket or coat on the hook first of course. But, remember, keep an eye on it. You are sitting down and someone could take it right over the door. It happens. Always wash your hands when you get done.

Karren H
12-08-2009, 06:21 PM
If you "don't get read" and "don't have problems" and you are in the ladies room and in a stall... Who cares what you do... No one can see you? Maybe just your feet!

You should be teaching us not us teaching you?

Stephenie S
12-08-2009, 06:45 PM
To answer specifically:

Pick UP your skirt or dress. Pull DOWN your panties.

Don't remove your dress. Pick it up just like your skirt.

Many women don't sit. They crouch over the seat. I always sit, but I always line the seat with toilet paper. I was never able to get those paper liners to work properly.

Always sit (or crouch, if that's your thing). No standing to pee.

Gather your skirt or dress in front of you so it doesn't fall in when you stand up.

Bag and coat on the hook. Watch them though. If I'm wearing a coat, I always put the coat OVER the bag. Someone could reach over and grab your bag. This happens rarely, but I understand that it has happened.

Always wash your hands.

Then fix your makeup and hair, smile at the other women, and leave.

Lovies,
Stephenie

kellycan27
12-08-2009, 07:17 PM
To answer specifically:

Many women don't sit. They crouch over the seat. I always sit, but I always line the seat with toilet paper. I was never able to get those paper liners to work properly.

Gather your skirt or dress in front of you so it doesn't fall in when you stand up.

Bag and coat on the hook. Watch them though. If I'm wearing a coat, I always put the coat OVER the bag. Someone could reach over and grab your bag. This happens rarely, but I understand that it has happened.

Always wash your hands.

Lovies,
Stephenie

I think that the word you are looking for is "hover" :heehee:

Sally24
12-08-2009, 07:38 PM
One of the original reasons for the skirt/dress was to make it easy to use the ladies room. You just raise them and do your business. I've seen the outcome from the "hover" and it's not pretty! Clean the seat if you must, then sit down.:Angry3:

sherri52
12-08-2009, 07:40 PM
I lift both. Panties down of course.

Andy66
12-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Lots of good advice here. You don't want your skirt to fall into a puddle on the floor or dip into the toilet. Ewwwww. Skirt/dress up and gathered in front of you. Panties/pantyhose down like pants.
I've seen the outcome from the "hover" and it's not pretty! Clean the seat if you must, then sit down.:Angry3:
Yep. always make sure the seat is clean and there is paper before you sit or hover. If you make a mess when you hover, pleeeease wipe the seat.

Another thing, there's usually not as much eye contact in a bathroom as elsewhere. There can be, and there can even be small talk, but not always. I would say wait for the other person to initiate it until you get comfortable with the subtle behavior.

Veronica 1
12-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Another tip is to always check to make sure that your skirt is not tucked into your panties before you exit the bathroom. It happened to a lady at my workplace the other day and while I was embarrassed for the lady, the other guys thought that it was pretty funny.

jenna_woods
12-08-2009, 08:35 PM
oh yes lift up the dress or skirt you don't want them touching the floor.

Stephenie S
12-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Yup, hover is a better word. You have to have strong calf and thigh muscles to pull that off. I sit.

And watch the skirt (or toilet paper) caught in the undies thing. I managed to walk through a restaurant that way until the woman I was with told me what was happening. Now I ALWAYS check before I leave the stall.

Stephie

Spacey
12-08-2009, 11:00 PM

Lol! I have a toilet paper ritual!

Great tips Stephenie.

linnea
12-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Behind the stall door, you can do pretty much whatever you want except stand to pee, but the usual method that my mother did show me was her raising her skirt or dress, lowering her underwear and sitting to do her business. This was more a matter of me observing rather than her actually demonstrating the method; we were in close quarters and she had to go. I just remember how she did it.

MissKara
12-09-2009, 01:58 AM
I always sit down to pee, even when I am Karl not Kara. I dont know why, I am just used to it :) Although I usually pull my skirt down and havnt tried it with a dress yet. But I may was well get used to it :D

Its odd, I was actually thinking about this exact subject earlier today but someone beat me to the punch :tongueout

Lots of Love,
Miss Kara

marny
12-09-2009, 02:18 AM
Lift and drop Hon. It s a natural as wearing a skirt. :heehee:

Persephone
12-09-2009, 02:36 AM
Agree with the concensus on lifting skirt/dress and bringing it around to your front.

A couple of other tips in addition to the ones already.

1) Always use some toilet paper when you have finished (you always hear women rip off some toilet paper because we wipe rather than "jiggle"), and always flush.

2) I've noticed that women tend to wash hands with the fingers together, like they would be if you were applauding, rather than intertwining the fingers as men seem to do.

3) As others have said, eye contact is less than ordinary, but on occasion women do talk in the ladies' room. If two women enter together they will usually continue their conversation. Women will often talk to each other while waiting in line for a stall. You will seem odd if you are addressed and don't answer.

Vicki-Z
12-09-2009, 03:13 AM
Like Miss Kara I have from the time I was a small child always sat to pee. It one of my feminine things that just came naturally to me as a child. :o

In answer to the question I would lift up both a skirt and dress to my waist.

Vicki :cheer:

MissKara
12-09-2009, 03:18 AM
1) Always use some toilet paper when you have finished (you always hear women rip off some toilet paper because we wipe rather than "jiggle"), and always flush.

Haha, I have always done that. The 'jiggle' never worked for me that well :P

Love,
Miss Kara

noeleena
12-09-2009, 04:59 AM
Hi...
As edwardian girls. we dress in 1900 clothes ... long skirt s dress s pettycoats . all the drama ... & then some .
my mum taught me as a kid . dont sit on a loo seat with out ether cleaning the seat or puting paper down . lift your skirt . & tuck in up at the back . so it allso does not touch any thing . pettycoat as well tights & knickers down to knee level then sit .
or hover & i do that some times . or for us we have to roll the skirt over our arm . as its a lot of fabric . & when you leave dont for get you r purse or bag ,,,,,,

After . wipe hands with handy wipes . that you carry at all times . ready your self . then pull chain & lift seat down . then wash hands . dont draw attenion to your self . other than small talk if other women are there. my take here . have a kid e with you as that break s the ice . then its all on . people . well us women just talk . touch up your make up while there . & enjoy being around other women .

oh... spos i v been doing it for some years so i just do it . with out thinking ......& having our grand kid it s a two act play ...... allway s fun ......
Thinking as a woman will help. your dressed as a woman then be one .

...noeleena...

jenblake
02-04-2010, 05:30 PM
As a vetran of passing for 23 year, contact me, on yahoo, joyce_devriestv

I can tell you of all of the unspoken "rules"

Regards.

Hi,

Hopefully this question is not out of line on the forum. But I have a question re something my Mom never thought I would need to know. Looking for help/tips on etiquette in the ladies room so I don't get read or have problems.

First I'm well aware standing is not an option here and it a dead give away.

But I'm thinking of some other things. In guy mode it easy to unzip the fly or drop you pants as the needs arise. But what I'm wondering is what is the proper way of dealing with a dress or skirt?

While in a skirt, does one lift the skirt up above the waist line, lower panties and pantyhose. Or does one lower the skirt as well, ie simular to lowering one's pants.

How about while in a dress. Does one take the dress off and take care of business or does one lift the hem line above the waist, etc.

Also is there any other tips I need to know re the ladies room?

I know this is a bit of an odd question, but like I said, this is something my mom never thought I would need to know when I was growing up.

Thanks for you help!
Tina

Joanie B
02-05-2010, 02:35 AM

Regards.

Hi,
Would you mind posting the list of unwritten rules as a reply to this message?
I for one would like to know anything else which has not already been mentioned.

Thanks.

Joanie

Mirani
02-05-2010, 04:15 AM
Some time ago, my SO would remind me "FFF" on my way to the WC ("Feet Face Front"). :)

HannahF6
02-05-2010, 06:54 AM
In the ladies rooms I have used you can see feet below the stalls, I think dropping the skirt would be as obviously male as standing to pee. Drop the panties, lift the skirt and gather it in front of you. Also do take your time on leaving, take time to wash your hands, check makeup and adjust your hair.

Hannah

christinek
02-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Some of these replies are great.

OK first off most women's restrooms are way cleaner than mens, men feel the need to mark there territory or something and hose the place down. Most women sit and pee so no pee on the seat or floor. I too do the sit thing and hate the open basin thing.

Trish
02-05-2010, 08:24 AM
I just the lift the skirt or the dress.

Patti Remick
02-05-2010, 09:46 AM
I had asked the same thing a few months ago:
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112197

Patti Remick

Persephone
02-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Regards.

"Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

"Remote host said: 554 delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.com account "

Cristi
02-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Another tip is to always check to make sure that your skirt is not tucked into your panties before you exit the bathroom.

This happened to me, and I managed to shop for another 15 minutes in a crowded store before a kindly older woman approached me in the lingere section at Kohls to let me know :(

I'm just glad SOMEBODY was nice enough to let me know before I left the store and strolled across the parking lot.

The thing is, I had checked to make sure everything was OK, but it was such a light flowing skirt thatI couldn't tell just by feel that something was not right. So I'd amend your post to say check, check again and even a third time just to be safe!

Re: how to manage your clothing. I do the same with skirt or dress. I lift it to waist level then gather it all in front of me so none of it touches the floor or any part of the toilet. PH and panties go down just far enough to get out of the way.

Rachael Ray
02-05-2010, 11:44 AM
To answer specifically:

Always wash your hands.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Great list. I would just add taking a quick clothing check (front and back) in the full length mirror. I've noticed that ALL women do that when they are in there.

Cheryl T
02-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Just raise your skirt/dress high enough to lower what's needed to take care of business.
And don't linger at the mirror when you're done any longer than needed to wash your hands and maybe brush your hair...that too would draw unnecessary attention.

And just relax...

Deidra Cowen
02-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Just raise your skirt/dress high enough to lower what's needed to take care of business.
And don't linger at the mirror when you're done any longer than needed to wash your hands and maybe brush your hair...that too would draw unnecessary attention.

And just relax...

Thats right. Do your buisness, quickly washup and check makeup then get the heck outta there. Drives me nuts sometimes how badly CDs/Tgirls behave in restrooms where regular straight GGs are also in there. At the most speak if spoken too but just keep it to a greeting.

At SCC almost every year I see the GG professional executive types there for the career fair going to the restroom. At the same time there seems to always one obnoxious CD/Tgirl making a fool of herself and acting like a frat boy. Errrrrrggghhh!!! :Angry3:

joandher
02-05-2010, 04:16 PM
I always remember the the 3 Fs FEET FACING FORWARD, because sometimes the gap under the door or partition is high enough to see feet

:hugs: J-JAY

Mandy Burgundy
02-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Oh, so its "hover", and here i thought it was "squat". :heehee:

JulieC
02-05-2010, 05:32 PM
OK first off most women's restrooms are way cleaner than mens.

A study once compared the biological cleanliness of women's restrooms to men's restrooms. The surprising result was women's restrooms are considerably dirtier from a viral/bacteria standpoint than men's bathrooms.

I wish I could find the study now, but it was many years ago.

Ladies, wash your hands before you leave.

Jilmac
02-05-2010, 05:43 PM
First of all make sure the toilet seat is clean or use a liner before sitting. I believe raising the skirt or dress above the waist, then lowering panties is the more common method. I doubt one would want to remove her dress or lower her skirt while in the stall. Outside the stall it is acceptable to wash hands, check makeup and hair but if the ladies room is crowded or others are waiting, don't linger.

texasm31
02-05-2010, 05:57 PM
One thing I have learned is that due to where things are and how things are oriented, GGs do not need to pull their panties down to their ankes (or below their knees) when using the rest room. The keep their panties, and if they happen to be wearing slacks, up around their thighs in the rest room. I noticed that some time ago, and for a long time have tried to use that technique (partially to try to immitate, and partially to keep my panties from being visible below the stall door). I find it very difficult to arrange myself between my legs, while my thighs are being held closely together by my panties. It is very discouraging.

Fab Karen
02-05-2010, 06:02 PM
One very sad commentary is that some guys need to be reminded to wash their hands.:eek: If you're older than 12 and need reminding, you must have been raised in a cave. How many women would be horrified to learn their guy didn't wash his hands after...

"women sometimes might ask for a feminine product (pad or tampon) from a neighboring stall. I've had this happen to me so now have a few stashed in my purse just in case it happens again. Since every woman I know has them 'on hand', not having anything to lend could be a give-away."
Every woman doesn't, and if you were directly asked this, a polite "sorry" would do.

a compromise on the hover technique is to put some t-paper down on one side & use one hand to take some of the stress off your legs.

Persephone
02-05-2010, 06:13 PM
"women sometimes might ask for a feminine product (pad or tampon) from a neighboring stall. I've had this happen to me so now have a few stashed in my purse just in case it happens again. Since every woman I know has them 'on hand', not having anything to lend could be a give-away."
Every woman doesn't, and if you were directly asked this, a polite "sorry" would do.

Agreed! It would be unlikely that those of us over 50 would have something with us.

NV Susan
02-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Wow, 40 replies on this thread........ techniques, rules, procedures, etiquette, proper behavior .........just to go to the restroom!!!! I wonder if all this is worth the trouble to dress up & go out? .....Yea, it is!!! :)

chelle
02-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Don't forget that the sound of a GG peeing is a little different than the sounds a man makes, even if he is seated. That could be a tell-tale sigh of a CDer in the ladies room.

Nikki C
02-06-2010, 12:24 AM
lift skirt and dress

Rachel Morley
02-06-2010, 12:49 AM
While I do agree with this sentiment.... I have one in my purse ... but I've never been asked for it in two years :strugglin:

Nicole Erin
02-06-2010, 01:02 AM
You know someone is going to copy and paste this thread and read it while going to the restroom in public.

umm, am I thi only one who actually enjoys being able to stand up to pee?
I tried taking a dump standing up, that didn't work out well... :o

LaurenRenee
02-06-2010, 09:37 AM
I haven't gathered the nerve to go into a public place yet much less the ladies room but o have tried to prepare for that day and I must say if you haven't tried the HOVER you better practice it at home. It is not easy to hover, stay steady and do one's business without grabbing for support or making a little mess. And don't forget to practice in heels! Your center of gravity and balance is much different in 4 inch spiked heels, as anyone who's walked in them knows.

Lauren

Petra1
02-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Not particularly. From observation in living with my wife, a woman sitting & peeing sounds just about the same as a man standing & peeing. Just make sure that water hits water.

Don't forget that the sound of a GG peeing is a little different than the sounds a man makes, even if he is seated. That could be a tell-tale sigh of a CDer in the ladies room.

jenna_woods
02-06-2010, 11:31 AM
for me i always pull skirt up, who wants her skirt in that floor, asnd always wash ahnds after, that can be a dead giveway.

Nigella
02-06-2010, 11:41 AM
I wonder why not many GGs have commented on this, is there really an "etiquette" when you wanna go to the bog? :tongueout

Really, just go in, do either a number one or a number two, (in a closed cubicle I hasten to add :doh:) in whatever way you feel comfortable,do whatever you want near to the sinks, primp and wash hands, comb hair, chat or whatever and leave.

Simples :brolleyes:

Tanya83
02-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Not sure I could get beyond the sheer excitement of being in a dress in public and in a woman's bathroom!
Certainly won't thinking about doing it the "Right way". lol

I'm hoping that when the day comes and I am out and about in a dress, there will be a family restroom. If the need arises. ;-)

Stephenie S
02-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Worrying about the difference between how men's pee sounds and women's pee sounds is really kinda silly.

"OMG, I was "passing" just fine until I peed. Then they all knew." Not.

kellycan27
02-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Worrying about the difference between how men's pee sounds and women's pee sounds is really kinda silly.

"OMG, I was "passing" just fine until I peed. Then they all knew." Not.

Kind of right up there with carrying feminine hygiene products in your purse so as not to get read...:heehee:

suchacutie
02-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Now that I've read them all it strikes me that those of us who are married would never ask most of these questions as we've been living with the perfect example of bathroom procedures! Having said that, I think I'll raise this issue with my wife and see what her take is on the thoughts mentioned here.

The one query I had, though....doesn't everyone do their bathroom thing at home the same way they would in public? Isn't that the way to practice, especially since the need arises in private as well as public?

BUT, I must admit that carrying the feminine hygiene products somehow slipped under my radar screen. Need to fix that! There's always something new to learn here!!!

:)

tina

Ellen James
02-06-2010, 09:03 PM
I can't claim a lot of personal experience, but I would think it best to lift both skirts and dresses rather than let them touch the floor. :eek:

As for using the hooks to hang things up, try and use just the lower hook if it is one of those two hook coat hooks with one above the other. The upper hook then acts as an extra guard against anyone lifting anything off of the hook and over the door. :)

PretzelGirl
02-06-2010, 10:09 PM
The one query I had, though....doesn't everyone do their bathroom thing at home the same way they would in public?

Thankfully, I don't have to hover at home. :D

ArleneRaquel
02-06-2010, 10:10 PM
I always pull my skirt/dress up.

jenblake
02-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Hi,
Would you mind posting the list of unwritten rules as a reply to this message?
I for one would like to know anything else which has not already been mentioned.

Thanks.

Joanie
Hi There,

My wife taught me many of them many years ago, some are obvious, and some are not, and may have already be posted in other threads:

- Learn how to make the "tinkling sound" when peeing, direct your appenadage straight down and squeeze at the appropriate point to make the sound.
- always, feet forward after entering the stall.
- Always have a spare tampon in your purse, with the removal of tampon dispensers in all ladies rooms, over the years I have heard the cry from a stall of "anyone have a tampon", at least 3 times and have helped out.
- Never speak to another person in the stall next to you, this is considered rude.
- Always when you leave the stall, even if it is for a second, stop at the mirror and check your appearance.
- If there is a ful length mirror, again, stop and check you look (a few times I have found my skirt was slightly off with regards to the back slit).
- If you see a woman that has a "fashion issue", like her skirt is way off for the back slit, or she is slipping, blouse not tucked in at the back, etc., it is your responsibility to talk to her and quietly tell her what the issue is.
- In a very crowded ladies room, when there is a lineup out the door, plan ahead on what makeup changes, if any you are going to make, as the time at the sink will be limited, and is extremely rude to stand there for 5 minutes and re-apply all your makeup.
- All the usual stuff, like never flush a tampon, never "hover", wash your hands, etc.
- Never apply perfume in the ladies room.
- If another woman smiles at you in the mirror if you are side by side with you, return a friendly "female to female smile".

I am sure I have missed a couple of things, but feel free to contact me: jenblake@cogeco.ca or message on yahoo, joyce_devriestv

Regards.

Rogina B
02-07-2010, 09:20 AM
After reading all of Jen's secrets,I knew that I had it down.I always have extra tampons as I have NO PLACE TO PUT THEM!! What a hoot this thread is. However,there was an ugly lesson learned at Boston GNO a few years back regarding a ladie's room incident that COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED..If there are any young people in there,DON'T hang around to" touch up" after washing your hands...get the hell out.Leave them with the question"was that just a guy in here with us?" They have mouths and their parents have concerns..generally unfounded,but it can turn into a mess. Mall bathrooms especially..do it and get out!:2c:

Nicole Brown
02-07-2010, 01:51 PM
I totally agree with all of the thoughts and suggestions that have been posted here. There is however one suggestion that has been missed that I believe in and practice whenever possible. Rather than worry about all of the etiquette, look for a family or gender neutral restroom. More and more shopping malls and centers are beginning to add this third type of restroom and it can make life much easier especially for girls who are venturing out for the first time.

Nicole

bobbie_1048
02-07-2010, 02:09 PM
One of the original reasons for the skirt/dress was to make it easy to use the ladies room. You just raise them and do your business. I've seen the outcome from the "hover" and it's not pretty! Clean the seat if you must, then sit down.:Angry3:

To answer specifically:

Always wash your hands.

Lovies,
Stephenie

i think this pretty well covers it :) enjoy your outing :)