PDA

View Full Version : Mah Jongg?

Persephone
12-09-2009, 02:54 AM
Does anyone play Mah Jongg? Far as I know, American Mah Jongg is pretty much of a girly game not played by many (if any) men.

Or how about some other girly game? Bunco, for example, seems to be a women's game.

I spent the afternoon with 4 women, learning to play American Mah Jongg. I was known to be male and arrived in androgenous wear, a puce turtleneck and long grey misses' pants over 2" heeled boots. I met these women for the first time today and have been invited to continue with the group.

Yvonne Han
12-09-2009, 03:04 AM
I play Chinese Mah Jongg sometimes...but don't know if there's any difference between American and Chinese Mah Jongg.....are they similar?.....In China playing Mah Jongg is not considered to be a girly game, it's the most popular game in both men and women.

Hope
12-09-2009, 03:28 AM
My understanding with Mah Jong is that it is played mostly by older jewish women. I have played it on the computer several times and I like it - I would totally play it with other women, but I don't exactly fit the demographic to get an invitation.

Phyliss
12-09-2009, 04:14 AM
Game House has a version of Mah Jong solitare that I rather enjoy. Actually it's one of the few computer games I enjoy.

Not so much for the points I can score or even the idea of wining ( which can't be done ) but rather the peaceful nature of the game and the mental exercise involved with moving the tiles.

DiannaRose
12-09-2009, 08:27 AM
I like mah-jongg, too, but like Phyliss I rarely play to win. I just find it relaxing to search for the next match. I think the focus required also helps tighten up the mind.

I've only ever played on the computer. It's great that you found a group to play with. Congratulations!

DonnaT
12-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Yep, computerized Mah-Jong.

5150 Girl
12-09-2009, 03:37 PM
it is very addicting!