PDA

View Full Version : Just a myriad of prosthetics

NathalieX66
12-09-2009, 11:19 PM
I was just contemplating about how CD'ers go through greath lenghts to achieve realistic feminine looks and asthetics, and how artificial some of these things are. I am as guilty as any crossdresser in this category. Think about the amount of investment that goes into such things as :
-wigs
-breast forms
-corset or waist cincher
-hip padding, including things like the Veronica type girdles.
-glue-on nails

For a while, I felt I was faking it, having invested in every single item mentioned above, and feeling that I was just some plastic incarnation of a fantasy or whatever, and therefore not seeming like I felt valid.

But the reality is that all the products mentioned above are specifically marketed at women, with the Veronica being the exception.

My mom had breast cancer, and as a result, has had a mastectomy, and now wears breast forms.

I have seen countless women wear wigs that I did not know was *not* their real hair. I happen to have a rediculously full head of hair and am in mid-stream of growing into a ponytail until my employer decides to vehemently object.

The majority of women I know do not grow their nails long but might still wear nail polish.

All in all, I must say, that in my case, I decided not to feel ashamed, but empowered, by actually having access to something that creates the illusion while not being totally committed to something that is permanent. I am two genders. This works for me. 200 years or so, such things would not have been possible given the technology we have now. The only thing I can gripe is that there is nothing that will give a temporary tracheal shave or smaller jaw, or eliminate 5-o-clock shadow for a short while.

Persephone
12-10-2009, 03:52 AM
I was just contemplating about how CD'ers go through greath lenghts to achieve realistic feminine looks and asthetics, and how artificial some of these things are.
. . .
But the reality is that all the products mentioned above are specifically marketed at women, with the Veronica being the exception.

Like you, the fact that pretty much all of the things I wear/do are things that are marketed to GG's makes me feel much more "normal" (I don't own a Veronica).

Most of those "great lengths" are identical to the lengths that many women go to in order to achieve their look.

I do use "cutlets" to enhance my breasts, and frequently padded panties to enhance my derriere.

My hair is my own, I spend two hours in the beauty salon every month at a cost of around US $70-80.

I have my long acrylic nails filled and manicured every two weeks, add two hours and another $60 per month.

Eyebrows tinted and waxed once a month, ½ hour and another $35 per month.

There's a pedicure every two months, another hour and another $30.

An hour+ of exercise every day, constant attention to eating right, and, of course, whatever clothing and makeup costs :) .

Tain't easy! But it sure is great!

lavistaa62
12-10-2009, 10:28 AM
I was thinking of the wigs in particular- certainly CD are not the primary customer base so there must be a whole lot of women wearing these and I have to say I've never detected it. I'll have to check more carefully as wearing a wig is one of the things that has always made me feel slightly uncomfortable and I if I were able to grow my own hair out that long and style it would improve my confidence. As far as the rest of it goes- women are definitely not shy about the accoutrements.

tiffanyjo89
12-10-2009, 10:59 AM
If we are buying stuff like wigs, breast forms, etc...aren't we helping those industries out?

Breast forms have been used by mastectomy patients, but usually it's only one sided, not both sides...also, we typically will buy the sizes the mastectomy patients won't.

Karren H
12-10-2009, 11:01 AM
So if women can be "fake women". Doesn't that make us fake fake women? Imitation (squared) women!! And god forbid you try to emulate another crossdresser? Fake fake fake women?? Ekkkkk

I envision Monty Python in drag doing a "spam" like skit ..... Fake fake fake fake fake.....

Persephone
12-10-2009, 01:02 PM
So if women can be "fake women". Doesn't that make us fake fake women?

From an ancient ditty:

AFTER THE BALL (Dismantled Bride)

After the ball was over
Jenny took out her glass eye.
Stood her false leg in the corner,
Corked up her bottle of dye.
Put her false teeth in the tumbler;
Hung her false hair on the wall.
All the rest went to the bye-bye,
After the ball.