PDA

View Full Version : Does Your Favorite Movie Reflect Your Feminine Side or Masculine Side?

Vicki-Z
12-11-2009, 02:28 AM
Hi Girls,

Here's my question. Does your favorite movie reflect your feminine side or your masculine side?

I love movies of all types, horror, sci-fi, mystery, action, drama and musicals.

However, mine reflects my feminine side.

My all time favorite movie is ...... (now wait for it) ...... Mama Mia

I love that movie!!! I fantasize that I'm one the beautiful girls wearing a gorgeous dress and dancing. I love it!!!

:love: Vicki

Samantha Girl
12-11-2009, 03:37 AM
Ummm, my favorite movie, sadly, is The Empire Strikes Back. What is that say? Besides the fact that I'm a Star Wars geek? :p It is the love story of the saga...

aggi123
12-11-2009, 03:50 AM
Not so much a feminine side, but I have thought about this movie and struggling with my own identity. Particularly because I have a twin. It's about identical twin doctors who share every day occurances with each other, even a woman who has no idea there are two. Great movie by david cronenburg.

Dead Ringers

trannie T
12-11-2009, 04:08 AM
'Citizen Kane' is my all time favorite, don't know if that shows off my male or female side. Other favorites are 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert' and 'Rocky Horror' these may indicate something.

kellycan27
12-11-2009, 04:59 AM
I love "Sleepless in Seattle" No matter how many times I see it it makes me cry, but I love "The wild Bunch" also, and it's wild,violent,bloody.shoot em up western. Maybe that makes me a girly girl......til it's time not to be a girly girl?? :heehee:

chris80
12-11-2009, 05:05 AM
'some like it hot' is superb, but I think the farce is funnier in 'La cage aux folles'. it was remade as 'the birdcage' with English dialogue but it's not as good.

masculine /feminine: somewhere in between

Karren H
12-11-2009, 06:44 AM
Don't think so..... You'll never guess what mine are? "Kelly's Heros" and "Stripes". Ohh yeah!!! That's a fact .... Jack!! Lol.

Nicola2876
12-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Goodfellas is my fave but love Weird Science.

DiannaRose
12-11-2009, 08:06 AM
I think I have a favorite for each side of me..."Star Wars" (the 1977 one) for one of me and "Made in Heaven" for the other. I love 'em both!

Anyone ever see the gender-bending film "Orlando"? That's also one I like.

sarahnme
12-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Dances with Wolves....yes it's true.To be able to come from a world you know is not right for you and find a place where you find yourself and are accepted for yourself is a true love story. Oh yeah I really like Indian movies too.

Love Sarah

sherri52
12-11-2009, 09:09 AM
I have always favored war movies but My actual favorites are South Pacific and You've got mail. Masculine side with a strong desire to be femme.

JamieOH
12-11-2009, 09:15 AM
my favorite movie is somewhere in time. Christopher Reeves and the lovely Jane Seymour... and yes, i have fantasized about being her in that movie.. love the dresses.i cry like a baby when i watch it

tuck n9ne
12-11-2009, 09:23 AM
My favorite movie is Across the Universe, sooo i guess its somewhere inbetween?

victoriamwilliams1
12-11-2009, 09:30 AM
For me I am a comedy, action and adventure movie fan! However I like Woman on Top, JuWanna Mann, Naked Gun Series, Matrix Series, Star Trek Series and Too Wong Foo.

So I guess I am all over the place:)

VERONICARH
12-11-2009, 09:35 AM
I love all the James Bond movies. Action and all the beautiful Bond girls.

Barbara918
12-11-2009, 09:39 AM
First movie I ever stayed up past my bedtime to watch on television was Some Like It Hot. Which side does that reflect?

TabbyJames
12-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Im with Sarahnme, Dances with Wolves, but the Color Purple and Out of Africa are a close second and third.

Melissa in hose
12-11-2009, 11:43 AM
My favorite movie of all time has to be Office space. I even own a red stapler in my home office. "Is it good for the company?"

nancyish
12-11-2009, 12:03 PM
The movie was so true and sad,I guess i'm an emotional gurl,Nancy

Astrid Star
12-11-2009, 12:21 PM
My favourite film reflects my masculine side, according to what is considered to be traditionally "masculine".

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964).

Astrid

Frédérique
12-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Here's my question. Does your favorite movie reflect your feminine side or your masculine side?

My favorite movies definitely reflect my feminine “side,” since I forge a connection with the main female character (but not the actress). In actuality, it all depends on the personality of the main figure in the film, and this transcends gender. I mean, if there is a sensitive boy (or adult male) in a movie, this character can out-shine any females in the vicinity. Being a crossdresser, I’m on the look out for such rare moments, and I find them now and then. A few come to mind:

Ma Vie En Rose – Ludo, the boy who thinks he’s a girl, is just a beautiful person…
The Secret Garden – I watched this to see the girl, but the boys stole the show…
The Graffiti Artist – All boys, all sensitive -- well, they’re artists, aren’t they? This movie had an unexpected love scene...
Pitch Black – I just love the “Jack” character, a girl being a boy for reasons of acceptance…
Paper Moon -- The characterization of Addie Pray, an adult in a girl's body, fascinates me, even though it's all a fabrication orchestrated by the director...

Kimmy55
12-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Let me see.Wizard of Oz,Anything Disney.Nope quess not

sandra-leigh
12-11-2009, 02:43 PM
One of the films that fascinates me over and over again is Koyaanisqatsi (http://www.koyaanisqatsi.org/films/koyaanisqatsi.php) -- a film with no dialog and no plot, but an amazing soundtrack (by Philip Glass). As a movie, it is a "trip" or perhaps a revelation -- something that cannot be understood intellectually but goes directly into your heart and brain, invoking both awe at the beauty and a sense that "This is not right!". Awe and sense of injustice are "traditionally" female traits, but I'm sure you would find plenty of "males" who would rate the film very highly even though it is not a film you can articulate or be competitive about. So either what "tradition" says is wrong, or there are a lot fewer "males" who exactly fit the tradition than is commonly thought.

But not every favourite movie has to be high-brow. I have a weakness for the 1980 SF/action movie Flash Gordon -- the one with the sound-track by Queen. Does there have to be an explanation for everything? :-) (There is a nice analysis of the soundtrack. The URL is too long to type in over this text interface, but you should find it at flash gordon queen quietus as the first hit.)

joank
12-11-2009, 03:15 PM
My favorite is an HBO movie called Band Of Brothers. Since it is a true story and has my two criteria for a excellent film (good horses and things must blow up) ) (I'm a retired history teacher) there you go. Saving Private Ryan would fit in here as well (no horses) and Gettysburg too. See a Pattern?

Tess
12-11-2009, 03:41 PM
I've been watching movies for a looong time so my favorites cover several eras. Some favorites are definetly manly but there are several chic flicks too...My Fair Lady, Working Girl, Moonstruck, Sleepless in Seattle, While You Were Sleeping

KayleeDahl
12-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Recipe for my favorites:
Take either Sandra Bullock, Meg Ryan or Julia Roberts, and pair them with a goofy but genuine guy, add a bit of heat :) and viola!

Hugs
-Sera

Lorileah
12-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Going to have to watch Band of Brothers again. I missed the horses. :)

Anything that Gene Kelly did. American in Paris and Singing in the Rain. Don't know what that says but I think I want to dance

Shelly67
12-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Blimey , for me , its a toss up from Shawshank Redemption , Bladerunner , The English Paitient , and Hope and Glory . praps its a mixture of psy fiction , surrender and pure heart .

NV Susan
12-11-2009, 05:23 PM
I guess I'm the only Western movie girl around here......my favorite "High Noon"
I know I'm stuck back here in the 1800's....but I still want to be a saloon girl...:daydreaming:

Jezebella
12-11-2009, 05:51 PM
"The Shawshank Redemption" is my favorite, but I'm not sure that reflects a male side or female side. There's not many females in it, that's for sure. I think it reflects my "I like to see the little guy win and the bad guy get his comeuppance" side.

KayleeDahl
12-11-2009, 05:56 PM
"The Shawshank Redemption" is my favorite, but I'm not sure that reflects a male side or female side. There's not many females in it, that's for sure. I think it reflects my "I like to see the little guy win and the bad guy get his comeuppance" side.

Its about being imprisoned unjustly... ie: a woman stuck in a mans body!

kimmy p
12-11-2009, 07:29 PM
If I HAD to pick one all time favorite it would be White Christmas. Though WALL-E is a close second.

Avana
12-11-2009, 08:21 PM
I dont think I've ever let anything like movies or music reflect my personality. There are way too many good movies...

Obviously there are some classically gorgeous women in film history, and I like those films for obvious reasons, but my favorite movie is Tarkovsky's "Stalker".

Samantha43
12-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Apocalypse Now is my favorite. It has been for 30 years since it blew me away in a theater when I was 16 years old.

It's pretty much dripping with testosterone, so I guess it reflects my maleness.

All of my favorite movies are "guy" flicks.

Jocelyn Quivers
12-11-2009, 08:59 PM
My all time favorite being "The Wrestler" followed by "Robo Cop" I will have to say my male side won in that area.

KayAnn1618
12-11-2009, 09:36 PM
I was reminded about the movie "Kinky Boots" in another thread tonight.
Exellent movie. Based on a true story they say.
The opening scene reminds me of me about that age.
Dancing around in heels, carefree and innocent.

akaCathy
12-11-2009, 10:05 PM
My favorite is Casablanca and like Eve, followed closely behind by Bridges of Madison County. I'd throw in anything with Sean Connery.

Hugs,

Cate

Draglizar
12-11-2009, 10:07 PM
My favorite is a more recent title of 'The Fountain' I think it appeals to both sides of me, the lovey squishy girly side, and the chivalrous masculine side.

Really love the line, 'don't worry we're almost there'

Chiana
12-12-2009, 12:16 AM
I really loved all the Star Wars movies, the James Bond movies, Top Gun, all of Harrison Ford's movies, the Bourne series of movies, etc. But there is one movie I will watch anytime I catch it on TV. It is "Pretty Woman". It is my #1 favorite. #2 would be a Harrison Ford movie, "Sabrina". Not surprisingly, I don't relate to being the male lead in that one. So my favorites definitely favor my feminine side. I loved "Sex and the City". I cried. And I loved "The Devil Wears Prada" too. What can I say. I like chick flics.

Samantha Girl
12-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Yaaaay Chiana! Someone else who loves Star Wars! :D

BTW Kimmy, I looooove Wall-E! My fave pixar movie! ;) So beautiful and romantic and sweet! :)

I am a bit of a movie geek, I loooove all kinds of movies, I'd mention more that I love but than my post would be even LONGER than usual! :p

Marcia Blue
12-12-2009, 12:53 AM
My all time favorite is "Monty Pythons Holy Grail". I saw it the first time in the theater when it came out. I remember actually rolling on the floor several times in laughter.
Number two would have to be "Blazing Saddles"

AmandaBlack
12-12-2009, 12:12 PM
The Good The Bad And The Ugly

linnea
12-12-2009, 12:23 PM
my several favorites are all over the gender map, I think. "Mama Mia" is one, but so is "Dances with Wolves." "The Natural" is another, but so are "Terms of Endearment" and "Amelie." And I love "When Harry Met Sally."
"Thelma and Louise" is on my favorite list too. So is "Unforgiven."

SuzanneBender
12-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Breakfast at Tiffany's and Sabrina (not the remake) are my two faves. Let me run that through the gender computer. Clearly I am all girl, but you should have been able to tell that by the kelly green bug I drive. :daydreaming:

Laura'sCloud
12-12-2009, 04:20 PM
I am a big movie fan got to many dvds to count, I'd have to say Just like heaven is one of my favourite movies.
I perfer to watch films that have a love story in them though i will watch a guy film now and then. Depends on my mood

AmandaM
12-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Conan the Barbarian. And that Valeria is hot, and she can fight too! Ok, I'm confused again.

Tess
12-12-2009, 04:38 PM
How could I have left Pretty Woman and Bridges of Madison County off my list...probably senility.

AKAMichelle
12-12-2009, 04:43 PM
I am a big movie buff and collect many different movies.

James Bond Complete Collection
Star Trek / Star Wars / Matrix Complete Collection

But if you look a little deeper then you will find that I have more romantic comedies than any other type of movie.

My favorites are "Under the Tuscon Sun" and "Serendipity". Many of you named some of my other favorites like Breakfast at Tiffany's / Sabrina / Mama Mia / Dancing with Wolves.

Brandi Wyne
12-12-2009, 04:48 PM
I love great movies and many "chick flicks" just don't make it for me. But ther are always some that stand out and are on my "would see again" list. The funny thing here is that my all-time great movie is "MASH". and the series, too. Maybe I relate to Jamie Farr more than I ever realized. So, dies that appeal more to my male or female side? See? Still conflicted, I guess.

XXs,
Barb

Luciana Vitale
12-12-2009, 04:55 PM
that is my favorite,Charlotte reflects my side

Luciana

pattysues
12-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Everyone in our house knows mine "Princess Bride" and I'd have to say, up on the list is The Devil Wears Prada. And a old favorite and still up on the list Rocky Horror Picture Show, used to go see it a lot at the midnight showing.

brittdoll
12-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Don't think so..... You'll never guess what mine are? "Kelly's Heros" and "Stripes". Ohh yeah!!! That's a fact .... Jack!! Lol.

Kelly's Heros is awesome. We used to watch it almost every weekend on Laser Disc at my friends house. Got to agree it is a classic.

Also, Raiders of the Lost Arc and Jaws are my two favorites so I guess they are pretty manyly.

Elaine Michelle
12-12-2009, 10:16 PM

At the moment I happen to be watching my favorite movie, "It's A Wonderful Life".

Does it reflect my feminine or masculine side?

I don't think so. It reflects my human side. I think that all of us would like to believe that, despite the occasional feeling of futility, the world is at least a somewhat better place because of our being alive.

Oh, gotta go, Clarence just fell in the river!

Elaine

catriona36
12-13-2009, 05:37 AM
this is sad. not sad as in bohoo but sad as in strange.
My fave 2 movies are:
1) RAZORBACK
2) and the all time great---------- Convoy :facepalm:
see told you it was sad :heehee:
guess they are not fem movies

cpt2669
12-13-2009, 05:57 AM
I say my masculine side, the movie is "The Lord of the Rings". I loved the books and the movies were great, all three.

Christina

Ineta
12-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Mr & Mrs Smith...

Does it mean I am inbetween?

Engendered
12-13-2009, 08:28 AM
The Back to the Future Trilogy.
I thought for sure that would point to my masculine side, but then I remembered that Michael J Fox plays his sister in the 2nd movie. (Quite well too!) :)
Also love the Princess Bride.

Juanita O
12-13-2009, 09:06 AM
my favorite movie is Magnum Force, Or any of the dirty harry series. The other movie i like is 3:10 to Yuma

MarciManseau
12-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Goodfellas is my fave but love Weird Science.

Gotta love Kelly LeBrock in that movie. She's amazing and gorgeous! :love:

"An American President" with Annette Benning and Michael Douglas is definitely my fav. Just imagine being romanced by a hunky man who just happens to be the most powerful man in the world. Yummerini!!!

Hugs, Marci

Tracy_Victoria
12-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Masculine.

I really don't have a favourite movie, as I really enjoy a good film, and a good laugh, so my tastes range from 633 Squadron, to trading places. sitting here, I could not just name one movie with out listing 10 more I would want to watch as well.

kristinacd55
12-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Hmmm, Forrest Gump. I do imagine myself as Jennie so I guess that's the feminine side! :daydreaming:

stacy-marie hanna
12-13-2009, 02:00 PM
fave movie of all time is seven brides for seven brothers(i love the barn raising fight)dont know what side it shows really other faves are pulp fiction,shawshank redemption and prissilla, queen of the desert!

stacy marie

sarahgk
12-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Hmm my tastes vary so much but Forest Gump, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and the Girl Next Door are my top 3 favorite movies.. I guess that would lean mostly masculine in movie choice... However I do love a good chick flick every now and then, but I'm more about the romantic comedy then gushy stuff in that genre.

Aubrey Green
12-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Pretty much 50/50 Star Wars & Raiders of the Lost Ark
both have strong male roles and strong female roles, I mean who didn't like Karen Allen doing shots with the locals and punching Indiana or Leia taking charge when she was supposed to be rescued from the prisoner section in Star Wars.

SuzanneBender
12-13-2009, 03:59 PM
"And now for something completely different…"

I think I own 3 versions of that, as far as comedy goes, they were tops :D

"A Fish Called Wanda" was great also

I blame the transgenderism of our generation on Monty Python. Look what their humor did to all of us young impressionable youth! If I every get to meet any members of the troupe I am going to give them a big hug and tell them thanks!

az_azeel
12-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Mainly mad on Sci Fi .. favourite movies have to be the Back to the future trilogy ..followed by a feel good movie Top Gun.. however i got a bit of a lump in my throat watching The Green Mile... and yet also enjoyed singing along to Mama Mia.. i think that covers all my traits.. :heehee:

janey
12-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Feminine side. My favorite movie is "Tipping The Velvet". It is a romance movie about a woman falling in love with another woman, set in the 1800's in the UK. I could relate to it since I'm more of a bi-les-cd type.

Karen__Starr
12-13-2009, 06:12 PM
my favorite movie is somewhere in time. Christopher Reeves and the lovely Jane Seymour... and yes, i have fantasized about being her in that movie.. love the dresses.i cry like a baby when i watch it
I was just thinking about this movie two days ago. I love that movie.

Alice Green
12-13-2009, 08:33 PM
I have so many too choose from, but I would have to say... Fight Club awesome movie and I always thought Brad Pit was hot in it.

donnalee
12-14-2009, 12:42 AM
How can you not mention "The Maltese Falcon"? Bogart, Sidney Greenstreet and, for the fem side, Mary Astor and Peter Lorre. John Huston's maiden directorial effort, the first "film noir" and perhaps the greatest American film of all time!

Astrid Star
12-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Mainly mad on Sci Fi .. favourite movies have to be the Back to the future trilogy...

I too love science-fiction. What other science-fiction films do you like?

Astrid