PDA

View Full Version : Has Dockers Fallen Off A Cliff?

Persephone
12-11-2009, 02:35 AM
Just came across a weird full-page ad by Dockers and wonder what it says about the direction of our society. Surely Dockers is attempting to sell into some demographic.

Advertisers often foresee trends and surf the cutting edge. Do these ads herald a new direction emerging in our society?

It made me think. As crossdressers, which side are we really on? Are we really on the side of androgyny? Or do we really like it when "men are men and women are women"?

After all, what's the point of dressing up like a woman if it just makes you look like "one of the guys"?

The ad uses type in the figure of a man from head to waist, with a pair of Dockers below that.

The text reads:

"Once upon a time, men wore the pants, and wore them well. Women rarely had to open doors and little old ladies never crossed the street alone. Men took charge because that's what they did.

"But somewhere along the way, the world decided it no longer needed men. Disco by disco, latte by foamy non-fat latte, men were stripped of their khakis and left stranded on the road between boyhood and androgyny.

"But today, there are questions our genderless society has no answers for. The world sits idly by as cities crumble, children misbehave and those little old ladies remain on one side of the street.

"For the first time since bad guys, we need heroes. We need grown-ups. We need men to put down the plastic fork, step away from the salad bar and untie the world from the tracks of complacency.

"It's time to get your hands dirty. It's time to answer the call of manhood. It's time to WEAR THE PANTS."

Your thoughts?

sterling12
12-11-2009, 03:04 AM
They want guys to wear Dockers. Some guys if they feel "macho," might be influenced to buy a particular pair of pants, or at least purchase The Macho Lifestyle those pants might represent.

Marketing Guy wants to take advantage of this situation, gets together with Advertising Guy; and they come up with an ad campaign to make certain 20-30 something males want to be associated with their pants....cause they are "macho!"

It a "scheme" to get people to buy more of their pants! It will work on some people's psyche's, on others it won't work at all. If they sell enough pants, for whatever reason....they win! Marketing and Advertising Guys get great big bonuses! If you are gullible enough to think you can become "macho" by purchasing a $50 pair of Dockers at Dillards....have fun with your new pants.

I wouldn't read anything more into it!

Peace and Love, Joanie

dragdoll
12-11-2009, 03:23 AM
I don't care about the pants, but dockers prostyle boxer briefs are the best men's underwear ever made. and i've worn them underneath women's jeans, so that blows their theory.

Samantha Girl
12-11-2009, 04:02 AM
I think it's kinda a stupid move on their part as far marketing, it's bound to annoy someone.

kellycan27
12-11-2009, 04:49 AM
I think it's kinda a stupid move on their part as far marketing, it's bound to annoy someone.

Why should they be any different than the companies that are trying to push the "metro sexual" look? They are just trying to get their share of the market. These advertising guys are no dummies. Dockers are gearing their advertising towards a different demographic, and we all know that there is no shortage of "macho" guys running around the planet. Maybe it will annoy guys who run around in dresses, but guys in dresses aren't who they are trying to reach:heehee:.

Schatten Lupus
12-11-2009, 04:59 AM
I've never liked Dockers, or any pants. I think they are uncomfortable, very undurable, and just a waste. And apparently they now make some lame commercials. I'll take a pair of demon denim Wranglers any day of the week.

Samantha Girl
12-11-2009, 07:01 AM
Kelly, I understand the idea of marketing to a specific group, but it seems like they're doing it at the expense of a larger group of men, which for any company seems dumb to me. Whatever, never liked dockers anyway :)

Karren H
12-11-2009, 07:04 AM
Speaking as a guy who loves to wear skirts... I like the add and I love my Dockers as long as I'm wearing a sports coat and a cute tie to match....

Guys should be guys and girls should be girls but that doesn't mean that you can cross-over the fence when ever you want!

lavistaa62
12-11-2009, 09:11 AM
It IS annoying that they would choose such a base advertising platform and even more annoying that they would contribute to the ridiculous notion that men have to be controlling, aggressive, ignorant brutes. My guess is the people to whom this ad might appeal would act that way anyway but it's unfortunate to see Dockers or anyone else playing to the stereotype. It's exactly what the US could use a whole lot less of.

sherri52
12-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Dockers popularity is dying, they are just trying to be macho to get men to start buying thier pants again. They have to sell to survive. Any market is better than no market.

audreyinalbany
12-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Wasn't is Dockers who, a few years ago, had a TV commercial with guys in dresses at a party eyeing up women in pants with a tag line something like: "Dockers: the Little Black Dress for guys"?

meri
12-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Hey, if Dockers started making skirts "in the Dockers fashion style", I might be interested!

Melinda G
12-11-2009, 11:35 AM

Anything they do is going to annoy someone.

Frédérique
12-11-2009, 12:09 PM
"For the first time since bad guys, we need heroes. We need grown-ups. We need men to put down the plastic fork, step away from the salad bar and untie the world from the tracks of complacency.
"It's time to get your hands dirty. It's time to answer the call of manhood. It's time to WEAR THE PANTS." Your thoughts?

My thoughts can be summed up like this – ARRRGGGHHH!!!

It sounds like someone at the ad agency doesn’t like the way things are going in the 21st century, or perhaps Levi’s sales are down, and they need to sell more pants in the next quarter. Let’s trot out the scare tactics, blame the demise of masculinity, and draw the battle lines – with PANTS? Funny – if you watch the commercials during football games (and they are numerous, making the actual game superfluous), you’d think nothing was wrong out there – beer, pickups and thick steaks abound, with no mercy for sensitive human beings at all. I mean, I’m sitting there, my legs demurely crossed, watching the Cro-Magnons trying to pick up a yard or two, holding my plastic fork, enjoying my salad and my creamy non-fat latte, wondering when this macho male crap is all going to end. I thought there was light at the end of the tunnel, but now it’s time to “answer the call of manhood?” I answer the call of manhood now and then, but I don’t think we’re talking about the same thing. :heehee: Can I sit this one out? I have to paint my nails…

Dockers are very unstylish pants. When someone (like David Letterman) says, “Stick it in your pants,” he means Dockers, IMHO. With the Dockers line, Levi Strauss has completely ruined men’s pants, much like the NFL has ruined American football, and MTV has ruined popular music (pardon the mini-rant). Time to WEAR the pants? Why do you think I prefer to wear a skirt, ad boy? I would definitely help the old lady across the street, but I wouldn’t be seen in public wearing Dockers under any circumstances. Doing so would tell the world that I don’t care how I look, which is another way of saying, “I don’t care about myself, so how can I care about you?” Is that a HERO? Is that a “grown-up?” When the adult male gets in touch with his innate sensibilities, he becomes self-aware and compassionate, using communication as a profound tool for understanding others. Such behavior is truly…heroic, but it has nothing to do with pants…:hmph:

Joanie_Shakti
12-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Levis sold the Dockers label a couple of years ago, they no longer make them. I've had several Dockers shirts that I've liked, wore them mostly for work and a long sleeved black and blue small checked one I really liked but haven't seen for sale for years. But I have never owned a pair of Dockers pants.

LaurenB
12-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Dockers used to be pretty well made. Haven't bought them in a long time. I tend to look alot more at where things are made before I buy. Does anyone else do this. Don't know where Dockers are made but I notice alot more clothes being made in China (like most of Chadwicks stuff). I tend to prefer stuff made in the Americas.

lavistaa62
12-11-2009, 03:27 PM
I pay particular attention to where things come from and make purchase decisions even for long-time parts of my wardrobes. My last few pairs of english made Doc Martens are treasured- as I let Doc Marten know that as a member of the Punk generation I found their outsourcing particularly disgusting and wouldn't be buying their products anymore. Shoes and outerwear made in democracies are really, really tough to find.

Dockers regardless of where they are made are just unstylish and "yech". Heaven help me if I have to wear them for work or something.

SherriePall
12-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Never touched them. I always thought they were kind of "yuppie-ish." Pardon the antique word and apologies to anyone who does wear them.
I'll keep wearing my jeans when I have to and my skirts when I can.

jenniferishappy
12-11-2009, 05:14 PM
i have never associated dockers with the 'real man' persona. rather, they seem to be the most prevalent on men who work in air conditioned offices and dont get their fingernails dirty. perhaps the owners of dockers are confused or lamenting the fact that they are not carhart. they are what the guys who get down and dirty at work wear.
as far as this campaign goes, it reminds me of the mcdonalds latte series with the guys/girls rejecting coffee houses so they could just stop by mickey d's for a latte. as if they had to sit in the coffee house they find so pretentious just to drink a latte.
i always find it appalling that these advertising campaigns are based on psychology that unforunately must work or they wouldnt be pouring $$$$$$$$ into it. i will stick with the salad bar and pink underwear on my shapely hiney!!:o

kristinacd55
12-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Well........when Dockers were in I wore them all the time. So what's that tell you?:heehee: uhhh crossdresser? not a real man? sissy boy? docker wearer? :doh:

Lorileah
12-11-2009, 05:21 PM
If they want men to wear "men" pants...Dockers ain't it. Want to see what "men" wear? The NFR is in Vegas this week. Those guys ride 2000 pound Big Macs on the hoof..., they still say Yes Ma'am and No Sir, they hold the doors open, they tip their hat and the only thing on their nails is BS, not one of them had on Dockers.

Seems Dockers made their fortune off the "preppy" look. Now is that a real man?....Yes a Havaad man... a future metrosexual :)

Fab Karen
12-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Guys should be guys and girls should be girls but that doesn't mean that you can cross-over the fence when ever you want!
Think you meant to say CAN'T? Carry bolt-cutters and make your own fence easy-access point.:)

Watch the ads around football games- they focus on a certain knuckle-dragging demographic. The Simpsons once satirized the moronic beer ads: A bunch of guys spot a group of plain-Jane feminist stereotypes. They grab some beer, spray it all over the women, and the women turn into hot babes in skimpy clothes eager to be boy-toys.

NV Susan
12-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Now I'm all confused....I think I saw dockers in the ladies department at Walmart the other day??? :doh:

Nigella23
12-11-2009, 05:47 PM
The trousers I wear no more define me than the dresses I do, It's simply an advert play on the expression about who wears the trousers. I found it humorous. This contributes to stereotyping as much as buying a pair will contribute to saving society.

Acadeca
12-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Ladies, most men are not CDers. And dockers are not aimed at CDers, they're aimed at those men who want to dress like men. There's no reason to be angry at them for advertising to their target group.

Lorileah
12-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Ladies, most men are not CDers. And dockers are not aimed at CDers, they're aimed at those men who want to dress like men. There's no reason to be angry at them for advertising to their target group.

I think you missed what was being said here. Dockers are not aimed at masculine men. The point was that Dockers is shooting a the the wrong target audience. They will never be Wranglers or Carharts. They have their niche...and it isn't the macho market. Now the question is "how does a real man dress?"

Nigella23
12-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Now the question is "how does a real man dress?"

Leopard skin loincloth! :D

Samantha43
12-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Okay, now my feelings are hurt.........I wear Dockers almost every day. I am in a professional job and need to look the part. I have tried many brands of pants, and always come back to Dockers. They fit me well and are comfortable. I like them.

As far as the ad. I like it. Society is getting tired if girly men and wants masculine men to return. The ad is reflecting those feelings and marketing to men (and women) who feel that way.

I am a crossdresser, but when I am in guy mode, I am all guy and want to look, feel and act like one.

I like my Dockers and the image they portray. The ad reinforces that for me.

Jonianne
12-11-2009, 10:06 PM
....."But today, there are questions our genderless society has no answers for. The world sits idly by as cities crumble, children misbehave and those little old ladies remain on one side of the street.

"It's time to get your hands dirty. It's time to answer the call of manhood. It's time to WEAR THE PANTS."

Your thoughts?

.....The ad is reflecting those feelings and marketing to men (and women) who feel that way.....

In theory, the idea behind the ad may have merit, but in reality, the ad is reflecting back to the mistaken stereotypical idea of what real men were. Much of that idea was pure machoism and sexism. That is not what we need. What we need is for men and women to behave as responsible adults and citizens, know who they are, know what they want and not be afraid to act on it. The last thing we need is to promote the mistaken image of what a "real" man or woman used to be.

Get a rope....that'll teach 'em a lesson!

Samantha43
12-11-2009, 11:43 PM
In theory, the idea behind the ad may have merit, but in reality, the ad is reflecting back to the mistaken stereotypical idea of what real men were. Much of that idea was pure machoism and sexism. That is not what we need. What we need is for men and women to behave as responsible adults and citizens, know who they are, know what they want and not be afraid to act on it. The last thing we need is to promote the mistaken image of what a "real" man or woman used to be.

Get a rope....that'll teach 'em a lesson!

I'm not talking about "machoism". I'll leave that for men who are insecure. I'm talking about being a man. A gentleman. Opening the door for a woman. Walking the little old lady across the street. Men who are confident and know their place in life. The femininist movement has done damage to real gentlemen and replaced them with insecure, whimpy men who are afraid to do anything in fear of offending someone.

Most women prefer a gentleman who treats them like a lady. The ad is simply trying to appeal to the men and women who prefer a real man. Being a "real" man is being a gentleman. It is not a mistaken image of the past, is not sexist and never goes out of style.

I am a gentleman. I open the doors for women, I walk little old ladies across the street. I treat my wife like a princess. I carry myself with confidence.

I also wear Dockers. I think I'll go buy a few new pair this weekend.....after I get done shopping in the womens section.....

Lorileah
12-12-2009, 12:57 AM
I am a gentleman. I open the doors for women, I walk little old ladies across the street. I treat my wife like a princess. I carry myself with confidence.

I also wear Dockers.

There ya go. Maybe someone should tell Dockers that it isn't the pants but the way you think when you wear them :)...or don't wear them

sterling12
12-12-2009, 01:13 AM
I'm not talking about "machoism". I'll leave that for men who are insecure. I'm talking about being a man. A gentleman. Opening the door for a woman. Walking the little old lady across the street. Men who are confident and know their place in life. The femininist movement has done damage to real gentlemen and replaced them with insecure, whimpy men who are afraid to do anything in fear of offending someone.

Most women prefer a gentleman who treats them like a lady. The ad is simply trying to appeal to the men and women who prefer a real man. Being a "real" man is being a gentleman. It is not a mistaken image of the past, is not sexist and never goes out of style.

I also wear Dockers. I think I'll go buy a few new pair this weekend.....after I get done shopping in the womens section.....

Bingo! Your thoughts prove it! They hit their Target Audience! Now if you and a few million more like you feel that you are projecting that "Real Man/Old Fashioned Gentleman Image," when you wear their pants, then they have accomplished their purpose!

There is an underlying "unsaid" message to this particular ad campaign. If The Male's who buy these pants, or the millions of women who buy pants for their hubby's find this particular "old-fashioned/Real Man Image" sexy and appealing; they will buy The Pants because their will subconsciously look at them as some kind of "magic talisman," that will impart the desired traits on to The Male.

I know this sounds esoteric, but I was in media for many years, and yes they do think this way, and yes they will work on your head down there at The Subconscious Level. All of us can be "The Pawns" of Advertising, but it's nice to sometimes feel like you can't be fooled by it!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Frédérique
12-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Levis sold the Dockers label a couple of years ago, they no longer make them.

Levi Strauss & Co. may not make them anymore, but they are certainly responsible for Dockers creation and subsequent proliferation, wouldn’t you say? J’accuse!

Henry Rollins devoted part of a spoken word piece to the…style-less-ness of Dockers. If I wished to be blunt, I would say ugliness. The key words were “no package.”

Shayna2008
12-12-2009, 02:42 PM
I think there's enough manly-men in the world; just look at the state the world's in. IMO, this is yet another thing our society is sadly mistaken about. The emphasis should be for both men AND women to take more personal responsibility for their actions. We need that more than anything else right now.

jenniferishappy
12-12-2009, 10:08 PM
i am also not so sure the women out there who are equals in the home/work are looking for the 'men to take charge'. i know my wife is looking for someone to make mutual decisions with, she has made that crystal clear. to be completely candid, i dont need dockers or an ad to validate my manhood or tell me what a pair of style-vacant mens pants can do to me. not to offend, but i just find it pathetic and offensive. (and dont get me going on the abuse of the word heroes, everyone seems to be a hero these days). anyway, i passed by the dockers section at kohls yesterday after reading this and bought another brand for work at the clininc. i think i am done with dockers. just my view.