PDA

View Full Version : Working at Macy's for the holiday season

tamarav
12-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Yes, I am working at the Macy's in Burlington Washington in the Cascade Mall at the Women's fragrance counter. I am support staff to the commissioned sales staff, ringing their sales and assisting customers with selections.

I applied online, got an interview, was made an offer, given 8 hours of various training including their cash register system and scheduled. I work from 5 to 9 hours daily with a myriad of other girls and love it. My feet hurt but I can't help smiling all day long.

All you really have to do to be in the public is do it. With a name tag, you gain instant credibility and all the customers have the impression that since you were hired you must be legitimate. I am!

linnea
12-12-2009, 11:02 AM
That is wonderful news, Tamarav!!! And you look absolutely terrific! I am so happy for you! What a great Christmas story! Thanks for sharing.

Deidra Cowen
12-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Good for you! I luv Macy's, its my fav department store here in Atlanta. Probably a third of my cloths are from there. Hope you enjoy working there sweetie.

Kaitlyn Michele
12-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Macy's is wonderful

..and tamara so are you!! very happy for you and have fun...

Shelly Preston
12-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Congratulations

I am sure you will have the biggest smile as long as your feet are ok

donnatracey
12-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Way to go, tamarav! Somehow I knew you'd be great at that job.....:)

Sara Jessica
12-12-2009, 06:25 PM
It is said that jealousy is not a desirable emotion but I'll admit, I'm beyond jealous right now. Much congratulations Tamara!!! :)

jenna_woods
12-12-2009, 06:29 PM
that's wonderful, what a great job,

Rebecca Jayne
12-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Tamara
I am so happy all is working out well at Macy's
Merry Christmas to you.
Love RJ

Joy Carter
12-12-2009, 07:38 PM
I wish I were closer, I need another fragrance. :D

celeste26
12-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Tamara what happened to the hairdressing gig you had? Not enough money or what? Or is this a second job?

Whatever you do I'm sure it all is for the good.

Blessings

Celeste

tamarav
12-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Well, I am having a ball working at Macy's. I am right in the thick of things and running around helping customers find their favorite fragrance and assist others that don't know yet what they want.

None of my co-workers have stood off and pointed to me or anything, in fact, all of them have stopped by and welcomed me. It is really nice to be accepted as one of the girls.

Two of our members on this forum have stopped by in drab and said hi. They will chime in if they feel like it. I did see a CD dressed very tastefully moving through the makeup department but I couldn't catch her to say hi. She moved pretty fast, almost a dead giveaway. She really looked good though and my co-worker commented on her beautiful heels.

I am pushing to get a full time permanent job here in this or another department after the holiday season. We will see how that goes.

Thank you all for the supportive comments!

Tami

Aubrey Green
12-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Tamara, that is so cool! Try not to spend your paycheck, before you leave each night!
:hugs:

Paula Siemen
12-15-2009, 08:31 AM
I've been laid off for none months now. There are absolutely no openings in my professional field. I am at the point of filing applications any place for any type of work. I've got to get something going soon or my wife and I sink into financial ruin. I'm really considering dressing up really pretty and applying at Victoria Secret or Dillards or Macy's ..anywhere. I'm not sure, but I think Dallas has a non discrimenation law which coveres gender idenity as well as many other types of "isms".

I just think my wife would freak if I got such a job.

Paula

Miranda09
12-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Yea for you Tamarav. I can imagine nothing more exciting for you. Have fun and don't spend all your earned money there......just some of it!! ;)

MJ
12-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Tamara congratulations sis :hugs:

Amy Lynn3
12-15-2009, 09:59 AM
You go girl !!!!!!!!!

Joni Marie Cruz
12-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Good for you, Tamara. Shows what a positive attitude can accomplish! Wish I didn't live 90 miles away down in Federal Way, I'd love to stop by for a spritz. Have a wonderful Holiday Season, hon.

Hugs...Joni Mari

susie evans
12-15-2009, 12:01 PM
TAMMIE

that is great i will have to come buy and visit when i get to wa next month

:hugs:happy holiday's susie

Juanita O
12-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Tamara

You go girl, it sounds like you are having a good time.

SuzanneBender
12-15-2009, 03:06 PM
I am so happy for you. Women like you making it in the world today helps to prove to Mr. and Mrs. Average American that we are just like them. Well almost, we have better fashion sense :) Let us know if you get a perm commission job. I will be in Seattle later this spring and would love to come by and say hello while working in some shopping.

Evie08
12-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Tami,

Something tells me Macy's will find a full time position for you after the holiday season. I see a new MAC counter coming to the Burlington store that will need someone to manage it. :)

I may just make another trip up there this week.

Evie

Rachel Morley
12-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Hi Tami,

Fantastic! ... and having met you in perosn I can imagine just how helpful you are to everyone you meet. Sounds like this job is right up your alley and it looks like being trans is totally a non-issue as far as Macys is concerned (assuming they know that is). If you are looking to get permanent placement there does this mean that your beautician work will stop?

Anyway, good for you! :)

Hugs
Rachel

Tamera
12-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi Tamara,

Glad you enjoy your job. I enjoy mine to at Big Boy and KMART... It's really nice being accepted from your co-workers as well as the customers and being addressed as "MISS".

Another TG in the workforce. Everyone we meet educates the Public that we are just ordinary people to.

Good Luck with your Future at Macy's and your Journey....
Hugs,
Tamera

lawnmanmo
12-16-2009, 12:11 AM
I've been laid off for none months now. There are absolutely no openings in my professional field. I am at the point of filing applications any place for any type of work. I've got to get something going soon or my wife and I sink into financial ruin. I'm really considering dressing up really pretty and applying at Victoria Secret or Dillards or Macy's ..anywhere. I'm not sure, but I think Dallas has a non discrimenation law which coveres gender idenity as well as many other types of "isms".

I just think my wife would freak if I got such a job.

Paula
Dear Paula
Hon you should give it a shot. Be honest about yourself and let them know your situation. Im sure that if you looked the part and did the job well they would not think twice about hiring you. Keep us posted and Good Luck.
Jerry in NYC

Robertacd
12-16-2009, 12:48 AM
I am defiantly going to make an effort to drop in and say hi.

I am in B'ham.

Laura_Stephens
12-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Tamara, glad to hear things are going well. I've always liked Macy's and will continue to shop there given their attitude.