PDA

View Full Version : Mauled at the Mall

SuzanneBender
12-15-2009, 12:58 AM
I have always read Kathi Lake’s posts with a bit of envy that only a school girl could conjure up. Tonight was my fantastic shopping night and Kathi in tribute to your shopping prowess I decided to post. Girl you are an inspiration and I don’t think I could have made it out of the comfort zone of my stores back home without you!

I am at a conference in San Diego. I know absolutely no one and it is as boring as watching the proverbial grass grow. I spent the day trying to not fall asleep in my breakout sessions dreaming of freedom from the droning instructor. I swear this guy is the biology teacher from Ferris Buehler’s Day Off.

I survived Mr. “Death by Power Point” and decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather to combine my two favorite passions running and dressing. This was a first for me and deserves a post of its own. Let’s just say that I have a sweat soaked wig and I basked in watching the sun set over the bay as I ran along side it.

I came back to my hotel and took a shower. Crud bug, I am on west coast time! It was only 6 PM. My body is saying it is chill out and watch Monday night football, but my mind is saying the night is young. My mind won. I redressed and decided to head to Horton Plaza, the local mall. It was time to spend all the extra expense money I would make on this trip.

The mall was a wonderfully uneventful five or six block walk from my hotel. And what is the first store I run into? It is my weakness, as some of my friends will attest, Nordies! 2nd floor misses fashion...Uhhhhh HEAVEN! Now lets recap. I am bored. I am dressed casual, but not frumpy. I have discretionary travel funds to spend and I am in a mall in San Diego. This is friggin OPRAH awesome! Enter the thought in the back of my mind, “Girl what are you thinking! You are by yourself in a strange city and you are dressed. Why are you doing this! A lot could go so wrong?” Needless to say I bitch slapped that voice stepped of the elevator and it was time for shopping. A girl must have her priorities.

The place was dead. The SA’s were trolling like hungry sharks looking for a one legged surfer and guess who that surfer chick was. I didn’t have just one SA maul me. I had three at one time. Then came the obligatory, “Can we help you find something?” My reply was simply, “where are the skinny jeans?” Female code for I have money to spend, I am a size 8 and I want to shop! It was pure female bonding from that moment on. I even was allowed to go to the Womens lounge while they looked for items for me! I felt like I was playing dress up as a kid. I must caveat this with I am a Midwest gal. I shop at Nordies back home and 30% off in San Diego is not the same as 30% off in Kansas, but none the less I made the SAs’ night. After a little over an hour, I felt like a fashion model backstage at a show and I had two bags full including two new tops, my skinny jeans, scrunchy boots, and the cutest wrap along with a couple of costume bangles and beads. Next stop XXI.

XXI is a new store for me. Dorothy, Freddy, Ellie, Toto and I have not seen a XXI in KS yet, but wow great fashion at a fair price. It is very trendy and hip. Probably not place for a lady my age, but hey I am transgendered. What are they going to do look down their nose at me for dressing like a cougar? My kids’ college fund was saying stay out but my intuition was saying this is the place for you. I walked in.

Put yourself in the place of the wily SA. In walks a TG woman with two bags from Nordstrom’s. Can you say someone looking to spend money with minimal hassle? The young lady that came up acted like my personal shopper. A skirt, top, dress, coat, and heels later I walked out.

Needless to say, walking back to the hotel I felt like I should have been strolling next to Carrie in Sex in the City. This little Kansas girl conquered the big city, stimulated the economy and is ready to wear her wardrobe out tomorrow night to one of the great clubs in this town. What a great trip!

“Stay Classy San Diego"

Nicole Bishop
12-15-2009, 01:23 AM
Great story go get em!! Good for you!

Leslie Langford
12-15-2009, 01:39 AM
...but I don't remember reading the part where you had to buy an extra suitcase just to haul all that booty back to Kansas :doh: :D!

SuzanneBender
12-15-2009, 01:47 AM
...but I don't remember reading the part where you had to buy an extra suitcase just to haul all that booty back to Kansas :doh: :D!

You have a point. There is no way this is all going to fit in my bag. In the immortal words of Yosimite Sam "Cansarnit!" There is a really nice bag store in the mall :daydreaming:

IamSara
12-15-2009, 02:44 AM
WOW what an evening!!! I am wanting to do just that. You are an inspiration, thanks for the post.
Sarah :rose2:

Persephone
12-15-2009, 02:46 AM
Way to go, Suzanne! Please keep us updated on the rest of your adventure!

Fab Karen
12-15-2009, 05:41 AM
Good going. If you think S.D. is "the big city" you really do live in the sticks ( replace the word "knife" with city in Paul Hogan's bit:) )
Assuming it's still there, there was a wig store a couple blocks East of that mall- found it in the yellow pages.
So now Hillcrest for dining & clubbing.

MissKara
12-15-2009, 05:44 AM
Great Story!

Lots of Love,
Miss Kara

SweepGG
12-15-2009, 06:57 AM
Wow, Sounds like great fun! (I'm not in the least bit jealous, honest!):D

linnea
12-15-2009, 07:02 AM
Wonderful shopping! I envy your being a size 8 too, but having this kind of shopping trip is what I would love the most and at Nordstrom's (wahoo!). Thank you so much for sharing your lovely experience.

Miranda09
12-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Sounded like a wonderful adventure Suzanne. You'll have to model a few of your treasures...soon? :)

Brandi Wyne
12-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Go girl!! Shop until you drop in your pantyhose and pumps. Great experience; glad you shared.

SuzanneBender
12-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Sounded like a wonderful adventure Suzanne. You'll have to model a few of your treasures...soon? :)

I will take some pics and post them tonight while I am out and about.

Barb123
12-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Good story and great headline.
It is fun and exciting to feel that empowerment that acceptance while shopping creates. It also allows you to explore your girl self. After all, we did not have all those shopping trips as children, trying new things, learning what looks good.

And maybe the biggest help of all is feed back from someone else. It is sometimes scarry how we can convince ourselves that something looks good when we are alone. But when someone else says' that looks' s cute on you", WOW you can loose all sense of reality and that comment along with that emotion is tied to that outfit. That makes affirmation is what I am buying and the clothes are just a bonus in the deal for me.

Finding out what looks good is really finding something that builds your "self confidence". I like to try and buy clothes but where to put them. It helps if the fabric that can be shoved in a place and not hung up.
Barb123

Nicole Erin
12-15-2009, 11:01 AM
That thread title had me expecting something scary. good thing it wasn't.

I thought business trips would be interesting even on the business/work part, but powerpoints? And the teacher off Ferris Beuler? Suddenly I am not so envious in that aspect.

But then we get to the good part. Nice weather? Nice enough that you went running and was sweating? CHEEE where is the justice? Today it is 30 degrees here in Indiana!

A Kansas woman in San Diego in a mall? By law, you were obligated to shop, thank you for being a good citizen and doing the right thing. :thumbsup:

You are a size 8? You B****!

Many threads talk about the fun someone had shopping, I think this story tops most.

You ain't gonna want to go back to Kansas, that I am sure of.

Kathi Lake
12-15-2009, 11:05 AM
I have always read Kathi Lake’s posts with a bit of envy that only a school girl could conjure up. Tonight was my fantastic shopping night and Kathi in tribute to your shopping prowess I decided to post. Girl you are an inspiration and I don’t think I could have made it out of the comfort zone of my stores back home without you!Oh puh-leeeze! The power to overcome your fears didn't come from me, it was inside you all along (and yes, I know how sappy that sounds :)). You being able to b***h slap that voice that always says, "What if . . . ?" was the key that unlocked the door into that big, beautiful world.

Aren't the SAs at Nordie's great?! First, they're usually very fashionable dressers, which allows you to use their prowess to help your look. Second, it seems they have "seen it all" already, and that, coupled with their store's no doubt enforced reputation for professionalism equals a wonderful shopping experience.

Having grown up in San Diego, I remember Horton Plaza well - even before it was a wonderful shopping destination. I'm so glad you had fun! Then again, how can you not have fun during "assisted shopping?"

Can't wait for the pictures to come! Enjoy your day!

Bueller? . . . Bueller? . . .

Kathi

joank
12-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Welcome to economicly challenged SoCal. If you think Monday night was dead, try Monday AM. Glad you had a good time.

Sarah Doepner
12-15-2009, 11:19 AM
I love San Diego, I love CD shopping stories and What can I say about your attitude? You Rock. While you are out and about, look around and help me just a little. I believe that a higher percentage of women in San Diego wear skirts than elsewhere. Let me know if you think that's true or just my imagination.

Depending on what you have waiting for you at home you may want to consider sending some of your things home Fedex or UPS. It may be less expensive than paying for another bag on the airline.

EllieOPKS
12-15-2009, 11:23 AM
You go girl!!! What an awesome story. You may want to say screw buying a new bag and stay for a few more days. The wind chill back here is -12 degrees.
Now that will perk up the nipples LOL!

theresa
12-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Suzanne,

What a great way to spend the evening in San Diego! And no better way to spend extra expense funds! Ellies' right on, don't be in any hurry to return home, it's friggin cold here!

TabbyJames
12-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Hi Suzanne, thanks for sharing this wonderful story.

Teri Jean
12-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi Suzanne, first off I have two nephews living in SD and one has a life partner who works for Nordstrom. The other thing is I want to work for your company if they give you that much discretionary funds for a shopping trip to Nordstroms. Good luck with the extra bag at the airport. LOL Sounds like you had fun, go girl.

Hugs Teri

carolinoakland
12-15-2009, 02:20 PM
So when do we get to see the pics of the new outfits?

SuzanneBender
12-15-2009, 02:24 PM
It is fun and exciting to feel that empowerment that acceptance while shopping creates.

But when someone else says' that looks' s cute on you", WOW you can loose all sense of reality and that comment along with that emotion is tied to that outfit. That makes affirmation is what I am buying and the clothes are just a bonus in the deal for me.

Barb123

To me the excitment comes from the affirmation and acceptance. Every time it happens it is like being invited into the girls only club.

While you are out and about, look around and help me just a little. I believe that a higher percentage of women in San Diego wear skirts than elsewhere. Let me know if you think that's true or just my imagination.

Sarah in my opinion its a Southern California thing. The weather is perfect for skirts.

The other thing is I want to work for your company if they give you that much discretionary funds for a shopping trip to Nordstroms.

Trust me darling, its not all that much. I have just been traveling so much that it adds up. My wallet is hiding in the bottom of my purse afraid to come out after last night's trip:heehee:

And to all my sisters on the Great Plains. Don't fret about the weather. I will be coming home Thursday and I plan on bringing this warm weather with me. :hugs:

VickysBFF
12-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Glad that you had a good time here Suzanne. Horton Plaza is a nice place to shop and I also recommend hopping on the trolley to Fashion Valley; they have a MAC, Sephora and a lot of other cool stores and it is not too long a ride from Downtown.
There are lots of other affordable places to shop as well but they are out in the outer reaches and require driving.

theresa
12-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Suzanne,

If you're bringing warm weather with you, how about coming home a little sooner? :)

sherri52
12-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Great shopping experience Suzannne. I think Kathy is envious of you now.

Kristy 56
12-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Lucky you ! Fun in the sun,and in the mall.

LeslieSD
12-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Hope you enjoy the weather in San Diego. Was raining a bit last week, which is cold. It should be in high 60's or maybe even 70 this week. :-)

vivianann
12-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Awesome Shopping experience Suzanne, hope you have many more, now that you have the experience of being out enfemme it just gets easier. I love the attention I get from SA's when out shopping enfemme.:D

SuzanneBender
12-18-2009, 04:54 PM
As promised here are some pictures of a couple of the outfits I bought on the trip. Sorry it took so long to get them up.

PretzelGirl
12-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Looking good Suzanne!

I don't see how you some of you do it. I can't seem to pack enough for 4 days to support my work requirement **and** pack enough to go fully femme.

Kathi Lake
12-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Great shopping experience Suzannne. I think Kathy is envious of you now.Sure am!! Heck, I'm always envious of my sisters that get to go shopping when I don't! :)

As promised here are some pictures of a couple of the outfits I bought on the trip. Sorry it took so long to get them up.Unh! (insert other grunty, unintelligible sounds here). Those outfits are totally cute!! I love the top in the first picture. Who is it by and where did you get it? I also am loving the outfit in the lower-right corner. Cuteness!!

I don't see how you some of you do it. I can't seem to pack enough for 4 days to support my work requirement **and** pack enough to go fully femme.Gee, sounds like my wife taught you to pack. She can go on a four day trip and have a full carry-on and a huge checked bag. If I'm going in guy-mode for the same amount of time, I can get away with a small backpack (a couple of shirts, undies, socks and a toothbrush). :)

PretzelGirl
12-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Gee, sounds like my wife taught you to pack. She can go on a four day trip and have a full carry-on and a huge checked bag. If I'm going in guy-mode for the same amount of time, I can get away with a small backpack (a couple of shirts, undies, socks and a toothbrush). :)

It didn't use to be a problem. Honest. :o

MarinaKirax
12-31-2009, 07:09 PM
Can I change my answer to the other thread about dressing fantasies? yours is better.

I have never 'acknowledged" my Y chromosome in a store; if I buy, it is by stealth, or ignorance (in that they can tell, but don't let on). I would love to have the confidence to stroll up to an SA and ask for help shopping for my girly things. Great story.

SuzanneBender
01-03-2010, 01:31 AM
Can I change my answer to the other thread about dressing fantasies? yours is better.

I have never 'acknowledged" my Y chromosome in a store; if I buy, it is by stealth, or ignorance (in that they can tell, but don't let on). I would love to have the confidence to stroll up to an SA and ask for help shopping for my girly things. Great story.

Marina just go for it. I have had nothing but good things happen when I ask an SA for help. If anything you know that you don't want to give that store your business and you move on to a more TG friendly establishment.

Miranda09
01-03-2010, 01:39 AM
Hey Suzanne...your outfits look fantastic and you look even more so. You have nice taste in clothing. :)

SuzanneBender
01-03-2010, 01:43 AM
Hey Suzanne...your outfits look fantastic and you look even more so. You have nice taste in clothing. :)

Thanks hon. Now if I just had your great looks! :daydreaming:

ronni white
01-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Don't put yourself down.
You are hot!

Ronni

Kaitlyn Michele
01-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Suzanne that is a wonderful story ...I'm very happy for you!: :)

By the way....you are describing a wonderful strategy for going to the mall for anyone looking for a girls day out..

Nordstroms (and Macy's as well) are known to be extremely friendly to T people. THis is true even if you feel you afraid you don't pass at all. Just tell them...i'm not kidding..i did this the first couple times i visited Macy's and every salesperson was wonderful... This is of course partially because they are relatively expensive, especially Nordstrom's..

anyway, when you visit there

BUY SOMETHING!!

Then carry that shopping bag around the mall proudly!! ..and KEEP THE BAG and carry it around the next time you go...
It's an essential part of any woman's wardrobe in a mall!!

...and by the way Suzanne ..i noticed your pics..
Everything about you says happy, pretty and feminine...

Instant crediibility!! LOL

Overly analytical? guilty...

PhillyGuy2Girl
01-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Suzanne,

You look absolutely stunning!Love the outfits. I never shopped at Nordies but when I get some money I'm definiely going to Nordies.

BTW,if you are bringing some of that warm weather with you from San Diego,could you please make a stop in Philadelphia and drop some of it off?LOL.

Felicity

Danica
01-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Just came upon this thread and really enjoyed your story Suzanne. I am so envious - shopping trip, San Diego, sz 8, discretionary spending....my reality - treacherous, icy roads, tons of snow, -38 with wind chill, Payless shoes for size canoe heels with SA chewing gum - lol!

rocketscientist
01-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Suzanne, I have to agree with Kathi on the outfits,those are my favorites as well. And I gotta say that you are incredible. You might be the perfect girl,brains and beauty!:o Your look absolutely gorgeous in all your pics and I always look forward to and enjoy reading your posts, full of rapier wit and humility. You really do make all of us proud. Whatever you're doing, just keep on doing it! Love Ya, Hugs, Tonya:battingeyelashes::hugs: Oh, and Danica's post above= Hilarious!

Franki Kate
01-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Suzanne, you have done a marvelous job in your choices of clothing. You have very fine taste and style. Thank you for sharing.

ReneeT
01-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Suzzane,

I 'bout fell on the floor laughing about your "cougar" comment! That describes me to a T, although I never considered myself in that age bracket (but I am). I would fit right in in the SNL skit!

Thanks for sharing your story - awesome!

JiveTurkeyOnRye
01-07-2010, 11:21 PM
[FONT=Times New Roman]XXI is a new store for me. Dorothy, Freddy, Ellie, Toto and I have not seen a XXI in KS yet, but wow great fashion at a fair price. It is very trendy and hip. Probably not place for a lady my age, but hey I am transgendered. What are they going to do look down their nose at me for dressing like a cougar? My kids’ college fund was saying stay out but my intuition was saying this is the place for you. I walked in.

In a lot of places they're called Forever 21 without the roman numerals. The XXI stores are a bit of a concept store, only in some markets. The thing about them though is that while the clothes are usually great and cheaply priced, they're also really cheap quality. You'll know what I mean when you wash anything you buy there. Having said that, one of my favorite skirts is from there.

But it sounds like you had a blast, good for you!