PDA

View Full Version : Makeup lessons at a salon?

julia_adams
12-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Hi there, I'm new to this site but have been doing a little crossdressing lately. I have the clothes, am getting a wig, and want to add makeup to the equation. I really don't have any clue about where to start, and was thinking about going to a salon and getting a makeup consultation. There is one salon near me that advertises 30 minutes for $30. I'm sure I'd need more time, but it might be a good place to start? Has anyone ever done this sort of thing before?

Also, I'm thinking of going en femme. I think it makes sense because I want my makeup to look good with my wig. I attached a picture of the outfit I think I'm going to wear (I'll probably add a light sweater and wear a women's jacket). Do you think that's appropriate?

Thanks! I hope this was an acceptable first post. I've been reading the site for awhile, but am ready to start taking the plunge!

Destiny
12-15-2009, 07:02 PM
You're on the right track girl. :)

Kathi Lake
12-15-2009, 07:05 PM
I think your outfit is cute! I would ask the salon what they are comfortable with. In the past, I have gone in drab, had a makeover, and changed in their restroom.

Enjoy, and tell us all about it! Pictures too, please.

Kathi

VickysBFF
12-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Julia: I highly recommend going to a MAC Store if there is one in your area. I believe that they offer a makeover with a purchase of a certain amount.
They are friendly to all persons and their products are excellent.

sherri52
12-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Hi Julia: Welcome to the forum. The outfit you have on will do just for your trip out. In the meantime you should practice at home. Stilla cosmetics has a 5 min video you can look at. They use thier products but its easy to figure out.

julia_adams
12-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks for all of the advice and quick replies! There is a MAC store inside of a Macy's where I am. I think I want a little more privacy than being in my mall. I'll check out their counter in drab the next time I'm in the mall, though.

I'll definitely call ahead to the salon to make sure they're okay with me coming in and maybe I'll even ask to see if someone there has done a CD makeover before. I'll let you all know how it goes if I keep up the courage and do it!

AlisonWood
12-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Hey you go girl!

You should totally go for it - I would definitely go en femme if you can - it's so much more fun! Be sure to ask lots of questions - most makeup artists I've encountered are totally cool with we folk...don't be afraid - just do it! :)

DiannaRose
12-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Welcome, Julia, and way to go considering the makeover. I so want to do that myself, but I'm nowhere near having that freedom yet. In time, maybe.

The outfit you have on in the pic is cute. Perfect for a casual outing, I think. Please let us know what you decided and how it went.

Nice to have you here! :)

jenna_woods
12-15-2009, 08:59 PM
you look good and you are going about everything right.

Stephenie S
12-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Your outfit looks perfect, sweetie.

You don't have to pay for this service. Any makeup counter in a major department store will teach you how to use their products for free. You ARE expected to buy something in return, but you don't have to pay for the service.

Too public for a first time? Try a stand alone MAC store or Merle Norman. Or call your local Mary Kay representative. She will give you a PRIVATE session in her home for as long as it takes you to learn how. The same expectations would apply, though. She would expect you to BUY something. That's how she makes her living. I spent about $300 on my first visit to MK. It payed off though. Now she takes VERY good care of my needs.

You can spend a GREAT deal of money at a so called "makeover salon" or "glamor boutique". They will make you look absolutely fabulous and take some great pictures for you to take away on a CD for $200 to $300. But remember that makeup for a photo shoot looks pretty clownish in the light of day on the street. That's NOT what you want to learn how to do. You want to learn everyday street makeup, and how to turn that into evening makeup.

Take your pick, hon. You're doing fine so far.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Blaire
12-15-2009, 10:12 PM
A makeup lesson from an artist is a fabulous experience. Call around and find someone that you're comfy with, and has some mtf experience. A good makeup artist should welcome the challenge of doing the mtf.

Many stores, such as MAC, have little private areas for their lessons. Check them out! These places will do the lesson for a fee, but they should have some sales perks resulting from that lesson that would make it worth your while. If I remember rightly, the MAC counter I went to charged $100 for the lesson, but I got 20% off my purchases... by the time I was done, the lesson had paid for itself and more.

julia_adams
12-16-2009, 12:33 PM
It seems like I may have underestimated how much it would be to get started with makeup! I might put this outing on hold until after the holidays -- I'm a poor grad student! :)

I do like the idea of getting a free makeover and paying for the makeup, though. That seems like the best deal. Maybe I'll go to a department store the next town over so I don't get recognized. Should I have no makeup on at all when I go to the counter? Or should I have some foundation and beard concealer so I'm somewhat similar to a woman when the makeup artist starts?

Thanks again for all the help! Such a friendly community!

june2cd
12-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Julia go for it hun. My first time was at a salon also. I went in my guy cloths and made me look so good I went striaght home and got dressed up. That was four years ago. I have had my make-up done by 3 or 4 others girls so far I have learn different ways of doing it. The last time I have been dressed totaly. Its amazing how good the feeling was. Hope you have a graet time

Stephenie S
12-16-2009, 02:16 PM
I do like the idea of getting a free makeover and paying for the makeup, though. That seems like the best deal. Maybe I'll go to a department store the next town over so I don't get recognized. Should I have no makeup on at all when I go to the counter? Or should I have some foundation and beard concealer so I'm somewhat similar to a woman when the makeup artist starts?

Dear Julia,

Go however you like, hon. You want to be comfortable. If you have a heavy beard and you know how to cover it, go that way. If you DON'T know how to cover it, then go bare and ask for help.

Makeup is easy and relatively cheap, but to buy EVERYTHING you will need all at once can be expensive. Also, it's hard to know everything you will need until you get better at it. Learning makeup skills is easy. All it takes is PRACTICE. A lot of practice. Makeup is something I do every day at least once, sometimes more than that. Doing it on a daily basis gives one a LOT of practice. Look forward to a good year to become proficient and relaxed about it. Fortunately it comes off easily and when you make a mistake, you can just take it all off and start over.

I used to use a lot more makeup than I do now. I think when you are younger you tend to think it's more important. I never use foundation now, but I used to. I have some pictures of me from 20 years ago with TONS of makeup on. If I were you, I would go for the minimal amount you need to get the job done. Learn the basics first and then branch out from there.

As many have mentioned already on this and other threads, the more you do this the easier it becomes. Always remember that, and good luck on your journey.

Lovies,
Stephenie

KristyPa
12-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Go to a another town other than where you live. To me the makup you really have to get right is foundation and you will need someone from macy's ect to get it right for you.
It will be very hard the first time and you more than likely will chicken out but you have to do it. Tell the clerk you do a sports show and need the makup to be right for that. That is what I did the first time. After you do it a couple times you will figure out they just really don't care and want to help you.
The May Kay thing is a good thing also.

Josie M
12-16-2009, 09:16 PM
I've done it, I've also had a makeover at Merle Norman. The main thing is call ahead and just tell them your situation. If they are OK with it, then you are good to go. Sometimes, they'll even let you change there (ask first of course).

I've run across a few salons that are very accepting of crossdressers.

alexism&f
12-16-2009, 10:37 PM
If you live near a MAC store or counter I'd recommend going there. Depending on the time of the week and how busy they are they'll do a makeup consultation either for free of a $50 dollar minimum purchace. Which either way is totally worth it because instead of just paying $30 and getting your makeup done once you just buy $50 worth of makeup AND getting professional advice. Plus their official motto is "all ages, all sexes, all races" which is why they happen to by my fav makeup store:)

Sarasometimes
12-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Contact a MAC counter or store and explain your situation and they should help you. I go to one in a Nordstrom's and the girls there are great. Gina is the best but she may be leaving but said she would still do my makeup, just at her home. The other advantage of MAC is that they have foundation that is very good at covering beard shadows.
Just yesterday I went and got shown a different look with a subtle eye but bold berry lip. I think I looked Berry good. Have fun! If north NJ is near you, email me for details.

IamSara
12-17-2009, 08:53 AM
I love the outfit. Good luck and let us know how you make out. I am going out to LA in Feb and I am planning on doing the same thing.
Sarah :rose2:

JenniferR771
12-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Welcome Julia,
Graduate student, great. Good luck on your exams. You are in luck. At Christmas there are several brands of makeup offered in huge "Kits",marketed especially for young girls as gifts. Inexpensive and they often go on sale just before or after Christmas. Check target and drugstores. And who is going to ask if the gift is for your sister? Many of them do not include foundation, so buy that separate, if needed.

About the potential makeover, visit or call ahead to find which store has good privacy. Merle Norman is good. It is a plus if they will let you change in their bathroom. A tiny one-person salon like the one I go to, is excellent for this purpose. (However, I had to bring my own makeup as they did not specialize in makeovers).

julia_adams
12-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Welcome Julia,
Graduate student, great. Good luck on your exams. You are in luck. At Christmas there are several brands of makeup offered in huge "Kits",marketed especially for young girls as gifts. Inexpensive and they often go on sale just before or after Christmas. Check target and drugstores. And who is going to ask if the gift is for your sister? Many of them do not include foundation, so buy that separate, if needed.

Thanks, I finished my exams (thank goodness!) so I'm home free until next term. I was thinking about picking up one of those starter kits if I didn't have the guts (or money) to get a full makeover. Are there websites people use to help them with issues like what color eye shadow they should use or how to do their lips? I'm fairly comfortable using foundation, since I used to apply my own stage makeup back when I did plays. I'm also good with eyeliner. I just want to know what colors look best on me, you know? I could always experiment, but I just want to have a good guess to get started with.