PDA

View Full Version : Great afternoon at the hairdressers!

KateW
12-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Hi girls,

Last month (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119449) you may remember that I was pondering whether to get highlights. I went for it, but sensing that I was slightly nervous about it, the hairdresser did a very subtle job, and while my hair was certainly a bit lighter, still looked pretty brown to me.

However, sticking to my original goal, I decided to book a follow up appointment today. Typically people only return after 2-3 months, so my hairdresser asked why I'd come back so soon. I explained that I was feeling braver and wanted to get proper blonde highlights in my hair. She said that if she used peroxide it would be a lot more noticable than last time, and would definitely look much blonder. I said that sounded good to me! I went for a whole head of coverage, meaning that I'd be able to wear my hair up.

For the next two hours I sat there while she painted the colour on my hair and wraps it in tin foil. An elderly lady kept taking glances of me in my mirrors reflection, and seemed somewhat confused about the whole thing. I simply smiled at her.

The hairdressers I go to have a loyalty scheme and as I'd been there 6 times, had earned a free deep conditioning treatment. So after removing the foils and washing my hair, they put the conditioning treatment on it. Then, as if I didn't look funny enough before, they wrapped my head in a plastic cap and put me under a heater for 15 minutes. I'd lost any sense of embaressment at this point in the crowded salon, so just enjoyed the experience. At this point I still hadn't seen what my hair looked like as it'd been covered in one thing or the other.

After the hairdresser washed the conditioning treatment out of my hair and gave it a rub with the towel, she asked me to go back over to the seat. As she started to dry my hair with the hairdryer, I could see my hair change colour and go blonde! I'd done it! The manager came over and said "wow, that looks really good!" and another hairdresser also complimented it. My hairdresser then said "don't you dare come in next week and say you want me to shave it all off, cos I will refuse!". I laughed and said that I loved my hair so would never do that and thanked her for the fantastic job she'd done.

So that's it, I've taken the plunge and got permenent blonde hair! In fact, I discovered when I got home that the underneath looks even blonder still when up in a ponytail because the peroxide was put on that first, so stayed on slightly longer. My wife was quite surprised at how blonde it had gone, after it not looking much different before. I'm not sure if she really liked it or not but she said they had done a good job and was glad it made me happy. Bless her. :hugs:

Thanks for reading my little story!

Kate xxx

TonyaV
12-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Good for you for having the courage to do it. I know I don't, although I am trying to grow mine naturally (people are used to seeing me with long hair - all my life).

Pictures, girl! We want to see pictures!

sherri52
12-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Having white hair they would have to put color into my hair, but I get to many compliments on my hair. It is white but it is also long and thick. At 57 that's a good thing( having all your hair).

KateW
12-18-2009, 08:32 PM
As you can probably tell by my avatar, I am a little camera shy, but here is a before and after shot just for you! The light in my front room isn't brilliant at the moment and the image on the left is the only one I can find of the side of my head but you get the idea...

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/8498/xxxh.jpg

Kate xxx

Michelle I
12-18-2009, 09:03 PM
WOW, looks great! Wish I had that courage:daydreaming:.

TonyaV
12-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks for posting, girlfriend.

Hey, I used to be shy about it too. :hugs:

KateW
12-19-2009, 07:22 AM
Thanks for all your kind comments. My hair looks even blonder today in the sunlight and I love it!

MissKara
12-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Wow, that hair looks amazing :D I wish mine was like that, but I am balding and my hair is too fine.

Lots of love,
Miss Kara

Patty
12-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Love it :love:

KateW
12-19-2009, 02:41 PM
I think I am going to grow my hair 3 or 4 more inches past my shoulders. As it will definitely show as my roots grow through, it also means I am going to have to return to the hairdressers fairly regularly to have my roots done. They advised that next time I should also get a darker blonde shade added, because when they add more peroxide my hair will start to go white! I feel like I have made an exciting commitment to my hair and I'm looking forward to experimenting with different shades in the future!

linnea
12-19-2009, 10:23 PM
I love the pampering I get at the hairdressers, the salon, etc.

KateW
12-19-2009, 11:08 PM
I love the pampering I get at the hairdressers, the salon, etc.

Me too! And the great thing is they never make you feel awkward, no matter how feminine a hairstyle you ask for! Last time I got it cut I asked for a Jennifer Aniston style (tapered at the front in a bob), and they happily obliged. They also made me cups of tea and offered magazines as I waited for the colour on my hair. I'm officially never going to a male barbers again!

Marcyme
12-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Great color! Doesn't feel great!!
Be warned, hair color becomes addicting!!

june2cd
12-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Your hair looks great, keep going you will love it more and more
I do know how you fill I have had my hair colored twice now first time with a little red tint then the second time dark brown I love and it is the only way to go.

KateW
12-20-2009, 06:53 AM
I know what you mean girls. I first had it coloured a month ago, and couldn't wait to get back in there and make it even blonder! Now that its gone so light I have basically commited myself to having to go back every couple of months!

DarcyAnne
12-20-2009, 07:54 AM
I think it looks great Kate! I love the dramatic change you got from it. I enjoyed reading about your hairdresser said "don't you dare come in next week and say you want me to shave it all off, cos I will refuse!". I enjoy the interaction with my stylist as much as the results. I hope you continue your relationship with her, sounds like you found a very nice salon staff. I'm like you, I won't go to a barber, haven't for over 15 years and I enjoy coloring too much to stop.

I have been coloring awhile with demi permanent color and highlights and much prefer it that way with multiple tones in it. I'm sure TamaraV would tell you that the highlights will damage the hair. I've started a treatment with my stylist, a keratin treatment every 4 months that takes awhile to do but has made a huge difference in how my hair feels and has made it more manageable and it lays, and I've had just two treatments. I would recommend it to anyone for those reasons.

How did your Jennifer Anniston cut turn out? What did she do with your sideburns in your before pic?

KateW
12-20-2009, 01:06 PM
I am really pleased with how the Jennifer Aniston cut turned out. Took a bit of courage to actually ask for it though! When I first started growing my hair I found it hard to find the words to describe how I wanted it, without actually spelling out that I wanted a feminine style. Regarding my sideburns - I shaved them off myself! Had to really because the hair was too short to put colour on so they stuck out! My wife actually told me to remove them for that reason! :o