PDA

View Full Version : Question about PCOS and Transitioning

ftm22
12-19-2009, 04:45 AM
Ok, guys. I have a question for you all.

I'm beginning to seriously think about beginning the process of transitioning. However, I have a LOT of medical issues. One of which is Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome. (For those of you that don't know, PCOS is the result of excess of testosterone in your body. It causes all kinds of things like cystic ovaries, weight gain, insulin resistance, etc. It's controlled with bitch control pills and metformin for the insulin resistance.) Now, I've done a bunch of research on it and discovered that PCOS is very common among transmen. Unfortunately, what I've found doesn't say anything about transgender guys that transition and how that works.

Here's my question: Do any of you suffer from this too? How does it impact the transitioning process?

Anything you guys can tell me would be great! Thanks!

dancinginthedark
12-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Has PCOS.

You might find it helpful to read CaptLex's thread. Guarantee once you are done reading you'll feel like you've just made a new friend. What can I say< the guy is great?

Captain's Log (A Report of the Effects of T) (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31117)

dancin

ftm22
12-19-2009, 03:28 PM
thanks for finding it for me! I really appreciate it! :D

EDIT: Unfortunately, I get this message when I try and check the thread:

"ftm22, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

:sad:

Faith_G
12-19-2009, 04:38 PM
It's probably in one of the private FtM forums. If you go into your user CP and look under "Networking" you'll see an option called "Group Memberships". Click on that and you can apply to join the FtM private areas.

Keeps gawkers like me away. :heehee:

dancinginthedark
12-19-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm sorry I didn't think to check the section out before I posted. It's in FTM Transitioning (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)

You should be able to join via your CP (found top left of any page.)

kurokaze
12-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Here's my question: Do any of you suffer from this too? How does it impact the transitioning process?

Anything you guys can tell me would be great! Thanks!

I had a different reproductive / endocrine disorder. It's not relevant except that you might consider bringing in "the big guns" (medical / mental health) as I did. You may wish to review the wpath.org Standards Of Care (http://www.wpath.org/publications_standards.cfm) (previously hbigda) to get a general idea of the emotional and physical care involved... For me, things didn't go quite "by the book"

Other than my recommendation for consulting a therapist (wpath style) and an endocrinologist... I had a friend that had PCOS, though after treatment she is still dealing with the facial hair, deep voice, etc... oh wait *smile* you might actually be happy with some masculine traits (unless I read your post wrong)

WPATH-Style Medical / mental health clearance really only applies to medical intervention, there's no reason you can't simply live male if you truly want to, just need to put in the effort. I deffinately recommend trying out different ways to express your identity / individuality =^_^=

Hope this helps

ftm22
12-22-2009, 03:58 PM
thanks you for your replies. I just applied to join the transitioning group, so hopefully that'll get approved soon and I can check out those threads.

I am downloading the wpath standards of care as I type this so I can review it.

Thanks everyone!

carolinoakland
12-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Ta da! Ain't having friends cool?

ftm22
12-24-2009, 02:39 AM
lol it so is :D