PDA

View Full Version : Why Do We Work So Hard?

Cathytg
12-20-2009, 11:48 PM
I work very hard to perfect my fem image. I bet you do also.

I know that, in my case, I am willing to put a great deal of energy and focus into making myself as pretty as I possibly can because I simply want to look pretty. I am 5' 11" and weigh 195# and am 65 years old so I will never look like a fashion model. Still, I can always be improving my appearance so that I am increasingly pleased with myself. For most of my life I thought that I looked fairly grotesque as a woman and, in the past several years, I have begun to like what I see. It's a wonderful feeling and it causes me to constantly change my look in subtle ways which make me even happier.

So, I work at my "look" primarily to please myself.

But there are probably other reasons to work at looking pretty:
Perhaps you want to be as "passable" as possible. Perhaps you are trying to impress your SO or wife. Perhaps you want to become a CD model. Perhaps you are just a perfectionist and dressing provides yet another opportunity to excel.

So, I ask you: what is the primary reason why you work hard at looking pretty?

So, I will add this after a day of responses: I am seeing a number of girls here for whom the actual process of becoming pretty is more enjoyable than the finished product! Now that I think of it - that goes for me also.

Miranda09
12-21-2009, 12:06 AM
I work hard at it because it's fun...plus it's hard work, but I still enjoy the results when I do it right. :)

SuzanneBender
12-21-2009, 12:14 AM
I work hard because I like looking my best. Yes call me vain but I love looking in the mirror and seeing my best effort look back at me.

prene
12-21-2009, 12:58 AM
I work hard at it because it's fun...plus it's hard work, but I still enjoy the results when I do it right. :)

Miranda has it right 100%.

Kathi Lake
12-21-2009, 01:02 AM
For me, it's like the old saying, "It's not the destination, but the journey." In other words, for me it's not only the end result I love, but the process. I love the smell of makeup. I love the feel of the clothes. The simple act of brushing my wig, slipping into a pair of pumps - all of these things come together to create, . . . me. My end result isn't exactly what the world considers beautiful, but I don't care. Getting there is usually a hell of a ride!

:)

Kathi

Karren H
12-21-2009, 08:27 AM
But its a labor of love... Or hate..... Or both.... When driven by uncontrolable forces.... People can do exterme things..

S. Lisa Smith
12-21-2009, 08:38 AM
I strive to be the best woman I can be. I love the results and am willing to work for them.

Sara Jessica
12-21-2009, 08:47 AM

So true Miranda!!!

As for me, taking it a step beyond the fun thing (and I do have a blast), I am at a place in my life where I am of the realization that transition is not in the cards and as such, I am committed to presenting the best I am able when I have the opportunity to express myself. Yes it's hard work, such is the life of one who is part time (yet full time at heart). Transitioning presents with an entirely different set of circumstances that redefines hard work.

Kate Simmons
12-21-2009, 09:06 AM
The real challenge is having fun being yourself. That having been said, I guess I'm of the Cyndi Lauper mindset in that as a "girl", I just want to have fun.:battingeyelashes::)

panda
12-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Maybe I'm just lazy but i don't have to do much at all really - I just stick on some girl pants an a bra and thats it... I feel great

Naturally going out is another thing but really the less I worry about it the more I enjoy it, I'll never pass out there so why spend all that time trying?

For some ( obviously I don't speak for all ) ok, I can't speak for anybody other than myself, but for me I'm just happy being Panda now and again isn't about how you feel inside rather than who you are or othe outside??

5150 Girl
12-21-2009, 11:53 AM
I really don't like my male self. So the deeper I can burry it, the better!!!

Sarasometimes
12-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Because it is fun and GG's probably put in as much if not more to look good than many of us here do. The time spent blowdrying her hair each morning out does my time straightening my wig. I like Karren's comment,a labor of love/hate.

Laura Evans
12-21-2009, 01:37 PM
For me, it's like the old saying, "It's not the destination, but the journey." In other words, for me it's not only the end result I love, but the process. I love the smell of makeup. I love the feel of the clothes. The simple act of brushing my wig, slipping into a pair of pumps - all of these things come together to create, . . . me. My end result isn't exactly what the world considers beautiful, but I don't care. Getting there is usually a hell of a ride!

:)

Kathi

I'm with Kathi on this it is a pure joy and part of being a woman.

Lorileah
12-21-2009, 01:56 PM
if it was easy every guy would do it :)

Koka
12-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Kathi has it RIGHT. We must love the process and have fun. I truly believe that if one enjoys the journey, the destination will be like paradise.

Kisses

Koka

minalost
12-21-2009, 02:08 PM
I also agree with Kathy. I even have a hoody (male mode) that says "The Journy IS the Destination." The joy of doing something that just feels so good but that also takes some skill to accomplish is hard to describe.

The need to get it "just right" is also important (I think more for some of us than others... not a judgemental statement, just an observation); and that's a lot of hard work!

Just my opinion.

JaytoJillian
12-21-2009, 02:31 PM
It's like golf, for me--Generally, I suck at it, but occasionally I hit that one-in-a-million shot. Sometimes I get the hair and the makeup and the clothes just right and I amaze myself-- That is what keeps me focused on trying to improve.

charlie
12-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Hello Kathy!
I want to project the best woman that I can be. When I go out and hear people saying that they like my hair, eyes, pretty dress and/or look, then I'm thrilled. I'm really just an attention wh**e I guess. The whole thing is just fun. I love being dressed and looking good!

Kathi Lake
12-21-2009, 03:04 PM
It's like golf, for me--Generally, I suck at it, but occasionally I hit that one-in-a-million shot. Sometimes I get the hair and the makeup and the clothes just right and I amaze myself-- That is what keeps me focused on trying to improve.Well then, remind me never to play golf with you for money! If your pictures are any indication of how "rarely" you hit a "transgender hole-in-one" then you must be one heck of a golfer. :)

Kathi

Nicole Erin
12-21-2009, 04:56 PM
One day I will be able to live full time as a woman.Will I ever pass well or be accepted? Who knows.
However, I think TG who go thru the effort to look good as in - dressed age appropriate and for their figure would probably be noticed less and taken more serious.

In anything, the better you try to present something, the more serious people will take it.

Say you take an older MTF TG - if she goes out in fantasy makeup and dressed like a cheerleader or wearing mini skirts, that will get ridiculed.

If the same one goes out dressed age and figure appropriate, people may know but the ridicule would be way less.

See when I am truely trying to pass, I make sure everything is well in place. I don't pass for a GG when in drab. I cannot just slop on a sweatsuit and no makeup and get called "ma'am".

Now for the "Sexy" outfits, yes I have some, purely for my own enjoyment, certainly not to be out in the public eye.

Samantha43
12-21-2009, 04:59 PM
It's good clean fun!

Besides, practice makes perfect! :battingeyelashes:

Theresa1955
12-21-2009, 05:38 PM
We work at it because we care about ourselves. I think we work at it also to show that we are really women in mind and heart.

sherri52
12-21-2009, 08:57 PM
I work hard at dressing because I like to feel good. The better I look the happier I feel about it.