PDA

View Full Version : Being told to get some clothes on?

Byanca
12-21-2009, 04:58 AM
3 times now in a short time, I've been asked/or told to put on more clothes by random people on the street. It's cold here(close to the polar circle). But now and then I care more about how I look, then how cold it is.

Do you experience the same problem/concern from the guys?

Karren H
12-21-2009, 06:30 AM
Well...... If you want to get frost bit then who are they to interfer?? Jeeezzzeee...

tinalynn
12-21-2009, 07:29 AM
Have to agree, you can look cute and still be comfy. Last week I was wearing a little gray skirt and 4" heels, but also had a turtle neck and heavy, long coat (just below the skirt). I had to keep the coat open to avoid over heating, but it was still cute. It was more business like than anything, like I had just left the office and stopped at the mall on the way home - nothing overtly sexy about it. Match the seasons and be comfortable.

Joanne f
12-21-2009, 07:50 AM
I guess that is one of the virtues of getting older, you can dress to be comfortable and warm without worrying about having to look pretty.
( some would say older and wiser, don`t quite know what happened to the wiser bit with me) :heehee:

linnea
12-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Cold/schmold--if you are comfortable, then wear what you want. I haven't been told to put on more clothes except by my mom. Long ago when I was still living at home, she would say, "I'm cold; put on a coat." I would laugh and so would she because she knew that it was silly, but truly she was concerned with my comfort and on occasional severe days my safety.
It gets cold here in Montana, but unless a person is going to be staying out for prolonged amounts of time, there is no need to dress heavily.
However, at -34 F (the temperature for a couple of days last week), I would suggest to most people to dress warmly (that probably means wearing more clothes than usual).

Kate Simmons
12-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Depends on whether you are trying to be a tough guy or a stylish girl. You can be stylish even in warmer clothes.:)

Persephone
12-21-2009, 12:41 PM
3 times now in a short time, I've been asked/or told to put on more clothes by random people on the street. It's cold here(close to the polar circle). But now and then I care more about how I look, then how cold it is.

Close to the polar circle? Perhaps you live in a country with government run health care and these other citizens are concerned about paying for your care if you get sick?

Nicole Erin
12-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Sounds to me like they just assume you are a woman and they want some kind of a flirting line. :heehee:

But for not dressing warm enough, yeah sometimes being stylish seems more important than dressing functionally for weather or whatever.

Sometimes the psychological needs outweigh the physical ones.

Janet Bern
12-21-2009, 04:58 PM
For what its worth: I think it is better to dress consertively and blend or you give us all a bad image. When we are trying to blend most people are fine with us and dont look at us as odd balls.
Janet

Samantha43
12-21-2009, 05:03 PM
I'll take comfort and warmth over making a fashion statement any day of the week.

Brandi Wyne
12-21-2009, 05:17 PM
I guess it's not fair for me to comment as I am farther away from the Arctic than most of you girls. For me, I'd have to be pretty uncomfortable before I'd give in and throw the styles I love over for the warm and woolies.

However, it looks a bit out of place to be frozen outside when everyone else around has dressed for the weather. Wool pantyhose? Nah!!

:2c:

Aubrey Green
12-21-2009, 05:29 PM
If you are close to the Artic circle, you might want to watch how short your skirt is. You never know where frostbite will strike!

:eek:

Brooke Smith
12-21-2009, 05:40 PM
If you are close to the Artic circle, you might want to watch how short your skirt is. You never know where frostbite will strike!

:eek:

Maybe that was the point. Ever see the Seinfeld episode about shrinkage?:)

Aubrey Green
12-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Maybe that was the point. Ever see the Seinfeld episode about shrinkage?:)

and don't you just love Elaine's quote at the end. Priceless!!

Byanca
12-21-2009, 06:22 PM
I did not say that I was very cold. It's by the sea, and the golf stream, first snow one week ago. Woolen pantyhose, and all lingerie in wool. It's all thight fitting, and light colors, it looks way colder then it actually is. Women understand, dont say anything, and lots dress lighter then me. It's also in to have very short skirt/tunika, so of course I follow the fashion trend to not stick out.

Cristi
12-21-2009, 07:04 PM
I was a bit surprised to see a woman I work with show up today in a short skirt and tights (it never got out of the mid-teens here today) and a few days earlier another co-worker showed up with just as short a skirt and bare legs! So I guess GGs DO still wear such things no matter the temperature outside.

Of course, it helps when the walk from the parking lot to the office is only about 30'... though she'd be in big trouble if her car broke down or she got in an accident!

For myself, I had an opposite reaction in a way last week. I was out on a similarly cold day, bundled up so much that not a square inch of skin showed on my face. I had on a hat, scarf, hood from my coat, long skirt and knee-high boots over tights.

As I walked past an older woman standing outside a Kohls (it looked like she was waiting to be picked up) she looked at me and commented 'Well, YOU certainly have the right idea!' All she was wearing was a pant suit and light sweater, she must have been pretty chilly.

It was a VERY windy day which was blowing my skirt all around me, so as I passed her I replied 'Yes, I'm warm, but I don't think it was the best day for a skirt!' in my best voice. She just smiled at me, nodded and went back to looking for the car she was waiting for.

sherri52
12-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Your clothes should match the climate or you draw attention to yourself. If we get by as a women we are found out because of the way we dress.