PDA

View Full Version : Hormonal Effects On The Body

Julie
07-31-2005, 11:22 PM
I posted this pic on the MTF forum just because it was a one year difference in what I thought was my increased ability to do my makeup and pose, etc. I suggested HRT as a possibility as to why I looked more femme but that was just a light comment, not serious at all.

https://home.comcast.net/~julimarie/images/oneyear.jpg

I got responses that made me wonder if the HRT had really changed me. Then I remembered my first visit to the HRT doctor's office when the nurse said she thought I had some facial changes, even though the blood test showed almost no difference in hormone changes. So I found myself wondering and I went back on old pics. This is one of the earliest pics I have vs one of the latest pics I have:

https://home.comcast.net/~julimarie/images/bna1.jpg

It seems the old pics are very harsh - masculine? I know my face filled out some but it seems I have an overall softer image. more feminine. I wonder if the people I haven't seen in a while notice this too? BTW, that earlier pic was almost two months prior to Be-All. It was my 53rd B-day!

Stlalice
07-31-2005, 11:57 PM
Julie,

There is a definite change there that is much more than I would expect from just makeup and/or posing - even for the short time you were on it HRT did wonders for your appearance. You definitely need not fear being disapointed in your ability to pass and look even better if you should decide to go back on HRT and continue with transition. You look good! Hang in there girl. :D

Tristen Cox
08-01-2005, 08:10 AM
My personal opinion here. I saw the pic of your (hate this word) drab self from a few years ago and the fem continuation over the last year. Even without the make up and lighting etc.. you seem to have stopped time, infact definitly a noticable feminine appearance in you cheeks and other facial features. Arms and legs could be just taking good care of your body and doing more fem things as well as living healthy but 'softer' is what I see as the result.

crispy
08-01-2005, 08:27 AM
Apart from some fat re-distribution and boobs, there is little scope for changing a male body by hormone treatment after puberty.

I think it's all in the mind. When you find a state of inner peace it shines through in your face and manner. I hope you have that peace now Julie.

Deborah757
08-01-2005, 01:29 PM
I think the effects are real. As I posted before, I took hormones for a while and after only a few months one of the secretaries at my work said that I looked like I was getting younger. (not a bad thing to be sure)

Julie
08-01-2005, 08:40 PM
I cut my hair this weekend to guy short, it was just looking too ratty. When I got home from work, I showered and towel dried my hair and dressed in drab. I put CZ studs in my ears and that's about all that's feminine about me right now. Yet, I just looked in the mirror to find a stray eyelash that was itching me and was shocked at the feminine reflection. I mean it worried my I looked so female. I still want my TGism to remain a secret from those who don't know so I don't want to draw any attention to myself. But that reflection really surprised me. I thought it was a woman. When my hair was longer I expected to look more feminine but now that it's short I thought I'd go back to looking more like a guy. Maybe the mirror lied but the haircut seemed to bring out a more feminine look. I really don't think I'm just imagining this.

While I know HRT doesn't cause any changes in many parts of the body, it does effect soft tissue and the skin is soft tissue. Fat is deposited much the same as it is on a female and the skin becomes softer. That alone could feminize the face. I know most FFS docs prefer you to be on HRT for a year and a half or more before considering FFS because of the changes HRT causes to the face.

This may explain why I'm becoming more satisfied with my feminine appearance even though I do my makeup pretty much the same all the time now.

ChristineRenee
08-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Julie...I noticed the other day while looking at some recent photos of myself that my face seemed both smoother, younger looking, and slightly more feminine in appearance. What is interesting is that I didn't really notice this when I looked in the mirror...but it was quite apparent to me while looking at the photos. Quite a phenomenon indeed and a very pleasing one too I might add!:)