PDA

View Full Version : Who said you're too tall?

pamela_a
12-21-2009, 06:02 PM
I regularly read posts where one of the main reasons for not venturing out is you're too tall.

Horsehockey!!

Recent studies show 2-3% of American women are now over 6' tall. Then you read stories about this young woman.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/nj_hoops_gal_huge_star_m1kiRXXzoE4laLi2PRqB5L

Call her Air Anderson.
This up-and-coming New Jersey high school basketball player is only 16, but Marvadene Anderson is already a giant on the court. At just under 6-foot-11 -- and still growing -- she's the world's tallest teenage girl.
The Jamaican-born hoopster, who could tower over legendary ballplayers like Michael Jordan (6-6) and LeBron James (6-8), was the highest-scoring "netball" player in her country -- a sport similar to basketball.
That on-court prowess earned her a scholarship to Rutgers Prep in Somerset, and for the last two months she's been hitting the hardwood to learn the rules of basketball.
http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2009/12/20/news/photos_stories/cropped/015_sherman_anderson--300x450.jpg Christopher Sadowski
Arielle Sherman, 15, 5'2" (left) and Marvadene "Bubbles" Anderson, 16, 6'11"
Photos: World's Tallest Teen Basketball Player (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/baseball/world_tallest_teen_basketball_player_VJDi8ngxU3Fdu AgPUzzQXI)

The Argonauts center was a standout with her teammates during a practice game Wednesday, where she played alongside pint-sized point guard Arielle Sherman, 15, who at 5-foot-2 barely reaches Anderson's elbow.

Anderson uses her size to intimidate her opponents, block shots and make easy layups.
"Everyone has come up to me and asked if I play college basketball. I told them I'm only a sophomore in high school. They gasped when I told them," Anderson said.
The gal giant, whose family remained in Jamaica, was taken in by Enid Angus, who discovered her talents.
"She's my heart. I committed to treating her like my own," she told the Asbury Park Press.
Anderson said she got her nickname "Bubbles" because of her good humor.
"People are friendly with me because of my height and my personality. If I was tall and mean, I think I'd have a problem," she said.
The biggest problem "Bubbles" seems to have is adjusting to the cold weather and finding clothes and shoes to fit her 210-pound frame and size-12 feet.
As a schoolgirl back home, Marvadene confessed, she was teased a lot.
"They call me 'baby giant,' and my older sister Kimberly is 6-foot-4. They call us the Twin Towers," she said.
"The rudest thing anybody ever said about my height is that I'm not going to be able to find a husband."
Rutgers coach Mary Coyle-Klinger and her sister, former WNBA coach Pat Coyle, have been working with their new star. Anderson picked up six points in her first game on Dec. 10 and Coyle-Klinger was not disappointed.
"Of course she is going to be a star," she said. "She's a natural. She's only been playing two months and it's amazing how well she's adapted."
perry.chiaramonte@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/nj_hoops_gal_huge_star_m1kiRXXzoE4laLi2PRqB5L#ixzz 0aMoflnKx

No more using "I'm too tall" as an excuse please.

-Pam-
Just another 6'5" woman in the world

SusanMarie
12-21-2009, 07:14 PM
You tell'em Pam.
No matter what your height, somewhere there is someone taller and someone shorter.

Fabulous gurls come is all heights, besides all the gurls here; for example femulate.org has an extensive list of 'Famous Females of Height'

sherri52
12-21-2009, 07:19 PM
If it makes you feel good--go out. It's not your size that matters it's how you feel inside.

Sherry-Stephanie
12-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Yeah, but does she wear 4" stilleto's???

Just asking????:daydreaming:

Leslie Langford
12-21-2009, 07:44 PM
...and may sound a bit catty, but I'm seeing another example here of the old "vanity sizing" phenomenon so prevalent among GG's when it comes to admitting their true weight and/or clothing size.

Take a good look at the young Miss Anderson. Not exactly a poster child for anorexia or bulimia, and actually quite solidly built. And yet, despite being 6' 11'' tall, she allegedly weighs only 210 lbs.

Yes, I believe that, assuming of course that she keeps one foot off the scale when she gets weighed, or else inhales a lung full of helium first :doh::eek::thumbsdn:.

subaru_forster
12-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Yeah, but does she wear 4" stilleto's???

Just asking????:daydreaming:

If she doesn't, I'd still say that the 6'9" woman pictured here wears them pretty well. :tongueout

http://thechive.com/2009/11/26/new-photos-of-the-worlds-tallest-model-arrive-10-photos-1-video/

SuzanneBender
12-21-2009, 08:14 PM
I am 5'11" and it doesn't prevent me from going out, but like Sherry pointed out if I wear anything over a 2" heel I feel like Sheena Queen of the Amazonians.

Alice Torn
12-21-2009, 08:41 PM
I see your point. But, 97% of gg's are much shorter. I have seen two very tall black ladies, in stores, lately. One, may have been a tg, or cd. I am 6'6", and as a guy, i get asked almost daily about my height. If i stick out, as a guy, how much more, when dressed as a lady, in heels!! The several times i have been out, i was read often, not all the time. When your this tall, it is hard to blend in.

Tiff Rivera
12-21-2009, 08:43 PM
I am 5'11" and it doesn't prevent me from going out, but like Sherry pointed out if I wear anything over a 2" heel I feel like Sheena Queen of the Amazonians.

Sheena Queen of the Amazonians, lol.......

5'11" is how tall I am when I wear my 4" heels, doesn't bother me. I've seen taller women without heels!

Jennifer in CO
12-21-2009, 09:03 PM
our 20 year old daughter is 6ft and has no problems.

I had no problems being accepted when I was 22/23 (1980+-) as a 6ft tall woman. Course, I weighed only 120# back then and 2" heels on anything was about the only shoe you could find in a size 12!

Jenn

Fran Moore
12-21-2009, 09:23 PM
As it's clear this young lady is a "giant" for her gender. However, there are a few tall women out there, and I am always intrigued when I see one that is taller than me (6'2"), especially if she is attractive. The fact is that tall women DO exist, and if you are tall, and want to fit in, it is possible, as long as you dress appropriately for the occasion and "own" your height. Keep your head up, make eye contact, smile, and walk like a woman, and chances are, you will be percieved as such. People will stare, but they do that with GG's who are tall also, and who cares if they do! It's a free country and you can legally dress as you please.

Suzanne:)

linnea
12-21-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm 6'0", I go out, and I feel a little out of size for my femme self, but I'm really quite comfortable with it now (I used to be self-conscious about my height).
Whether or not there are more tall women, it does come down to how one feels about herself.

trannie T
12-21-2009, 10:44 PM
I am big for a man, enormous for a woman. Occasionally I see women as tall as I am, frequently see women as obese as I am but very rarely both as tall and as big--at least outside of the zoo.

Daniela76
12-22-2009, 04:12 AM
I'd love to be with a GG who was as tall or taller than me. Wouldn't bother me in the least. I find tall/plus-size women (not huge though) to be my greatest attraction.

I checked out the link to Eve the model. WOW!!
Her pictures with the guy make her look like a monster. Too much domination & showing off.
But then I kept going down the page & saw her with the other babe. She is super pretty in those pictures!!
Just to ask, does anyone think she is/was a man? Or whether her breast are real or fake?

Daniela76
12-22-2009, 04:29 AM
Totally forgot about the beginning post.
I sure hope that beautiful young lady finds a great man to treat her well, whatever his size.

Janet Bern
12-22-2009, 11:18 AM
I am 6'3 and dress to go out shopping from time to time. Noone really looks twice at me when shopping or having lunch. However because of my height I wear flats when I go out. Janet

Barbara Jo
12-22-2009, 11:58 AM
I anyone thinks that GG girls do not come in very large/tall variaties, "Wendy Williams" is a prime example of how a large woman can carry herself in a very feminine manner.

subaru_forster
12-22-2009, 01:52 PM
But then I kept going down the page & saw her with the other babe. She is super pretty in those pictures!!
Just to ask, does anyone think she is/was a man? Or whether her breast are real or fake?

I'm sure that there are those who would (AFIK incorrectly) make those assumptions, but I doubt anyone would make those accusations to her face ^_^

flic
12-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Having worked in retail for ages i can confirm that there really are some very tall girls out there,,,i'm 6"1 and there have been plenty of girls that i've served who are taller than me, which was a nice comfort at the time!! The truth is, there's no such thing as too tall, as has been said by those far more clever than me,,,it's all attitude. Act as though you belong and people will presume you do. This girl is clearly out of the range of what is considered 'normal', but she seems really really happy,,good for her!
x flic x

carolinoakland
12-22-2009, 03:29 PM
I sometimes think I'm to tall, poppycock I know, becasue I see lot's of biiiig girls and taaaaall one's too. And I check their action and how they work that height, and you know what? I think being "model'' tall has it's attvantage's. I really own the room when I walk into, though I suspect that's more demeanor than height. But I'd rather be statuesque, than a wallflower. Confidence IS the best accessory. Carol

Teri Jean
12-22-2009, 10:38 PM
As a tall girl of 6-3 in my bare feet I still have no problem as a girl. Now as an employee of a university and working in the athletic arena I see a lot of women who are much taller and when they dress up in heels, well let's say they have a very good vantage point when they look down. Amazon? you bet.

Teri

Starr
12-22-2009, 10:42 PM
i saw Nicole Kidman on TV this morning and noticed how much taller she was then the male show host. So i looked up her height, she is 5' 10 and 1/2" and she was wearing about a 3-4" heel.

nikkijo
12-23-2009, 12:17 AM
lets see.. im 6'4" wear a womens 12 and weigh 205.. i could see a girl her size weighing 210, because she didnt look overly large in terms of broad and wide.. i suspect issues are length, and shoes, but size 12 really isnt that challenging, just go to a mens 10 or 10.5 and the possibilities are endless for athletic shoes, but i would imagine a prom dress and nice cute shoes are like i have found slightly out of the "ordinary" size range found in most places.... i was in vegas thjis weekend and at the mirage at the cirque de solet there was a group of girls that were 6'5"+ one of which was very pretty, skinny, and might have been a size 3 or 4. and appeared to be 100% natural body with estimated 34d's that were "perfect" so there are few around... but 7' is definatly larger than average..

Ugly Michele
12-23-2009, 02:05 AM
At 6'8" I don't see it that I'm too tall, more like standing out in a crowd.

tricia_uktv
12-23-2009, 02:09 AM
I'm a mere 5' 10" and it used to really worry me. Now I find it an advantage to be tall and slim. The secret, whatever your height walk tall; as tall as you can.

Aubrey Green
12-23-2009, 02:17 AM
Tell me, do you think this girl stands out in a crowd because of her height or is it something else? The caption reads, "Would you date a 320lb woman?"

7'4" 320lbs

BWOemerger
12-23-2009, 02:26 AM
I was out this last week and I am 6'4". I have some very nice flat boots that I wear with the right fashion to tame it all down and until someone is right next to me they rarely know how tall I am. I do draw a bit of attention, but being a guy in a dress I am super sensitive to the looks. I feel that I blend pretty well and it may be a bit of an advantage because being taller allows for more masculine attrabutes to be forgiven. (just the way I think)

I would love to be shorter but I am happy to be dressed and out.

BWOemerger

Schatten Lupus
12-23-2009, 02:56 AM
I'm about 6'0'', and last week, I was dressed as masculine as can be, and someone at a store called me ma'am. It was quite nice as it was the second time someone has called me ma'am when I'm not wearing a unisex work uniform. It is however, the first time that I am sure the person wasn't drunk.

Andy66
12-23-2009, 04:08 AM
Golly, suddenly I feel short. :heehee: As a GG I'm just a little taller than average - 5'7" or around 6 feet tall in a good pair of heels. The only people who have ever made an issue of my height sounded like they were just being insecure.

When I see a tall woman, I can't help staring... not because she looks odd or anything. It's because she looks so beautiful.

Elsa von Spielburg
12-23-2009, 04:16 AM
Ya'll got me beat. At 5'10, I'm typically taller than most my friends and feel quite tall in my heels. Gaining a little perspective after reading this helps.

Marcie R.
12-23-2009, 07:44 AM
I am six foot two inches in my bare feet and have always been nervous about going out in public. This thread gives me a little encouragement to venture out in the world.
Thank you, to all that have responded.:love:

Ugly Michele
12-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Tell me, do you think this girl stands out in a crowd because of her height or is it something else? The caption reads, "Would you date a 320lb woman?"

7'4" 320lbs

Could stand under them to stay dry, but more her height. Who wouldn't date her?

Janet Bern
12-23-2009, 10:58 AM
I am 6'3 180 and go out shopping at malls and have lunch at restauants. I dress very consertively and noone looks twice at me. I seem to blend in and occasionally when at a cosmetic counter i think the woman can tell I am a man as I have to speak and the voice isnt all that feminine (a whisper) but I am treated will and people just walk by and dont look twice. You may want to go to a dept store and walk around a few times during the day time and see that it is easy to blend. Of course I do wear flats.
Janet

eluuzion
12-23-2009, 03:26 PM
I have always been the "same" physically since high school. 5'10" and about 155lbs.

I got out the tape measure the other day, and with a level on my head, marked my height on the wall. Guess what, I am 5'8" tall, lol.

So, what does that mean? Bad part is that I guess you do "shrink" with age. I was hoping the same happened with age...you know...each year you get a little younger. Not the case, unfortunately...

Good news is that in heels, I tend to "blend in" when in a crowd. Well, I mean in my house, anyway. lol

Regina
12-23-2009, 03:35 PM
I used to worry about my height (5'10")...but then my niece entered puberty and started growing. She's 15 now and is the same height as me and a size 9 shoe. When she wears 4" heels she towers over me and everyone else. I work with a woman who is the same height and roughly the same build as myself....she stays in shape and is a natural beauty. These two have pretty much ended any fear I had of my own height.

I was out last Sunday and said the heck with it I no longer care about my height, I spent about an hour walking around downtown Columbus in 4" heels, what a great feeling!....man I was sore the next day though.
Regina

Aubrey Green
12-23-2009, 03:46 PM
How about the opposite end of the spectrum! When I was a freshman in high school, I was 4'8" and 75 lbs. Kind of hard to be a macho dude when Keebler elves are taller. I graduated at 5'7" 125 lbs and stopped growing at 5'8" and weigh 160 lbs, people still call me skinny. I guess looking back, I must have been a stick figure.

victoriamwilliams1
12-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Thats what I have been saying for years!! also the social group for those of us who are tall http://tall.org/ I am 6'8" abd 6'11" in heels.

Aubrey Green
12-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Victoria, you could play center in the WNBA! I always wanted to be 6ft. I would have been happy there. Now I have to put on my 4 in. heels to reach my life dream!

Karren H
12-23-2009, 05:23 PM
There's a thread on Makeuptalk about women wearing heels and being tall.. And almost to a person (me being the odd girl out). All replys were who cares how tall you are.. Wear what you want.. If women feel that way then why shouldn't we?? :)

Kendra (Tx)
12-23-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm 5'15" in my stocking feet...And I always wear heels when I go out...Nice thing about being in Texas...6'+ GG's are a dime a dozen ...:D I'm here with my GG friend Emmy...We've been called "twins" on occasion....I got the height and she got the green eyes...:heehee:..

http://kendra954.com

Karin9
12-25-2009, 06:33 AM
I'm 6'1 and often see GGs taller than me in New Look (as it has a tall section). Also there's a pair of girls around 6'5 that go to a club I go to, though I'm not sure if they're genetic