PDA

View Full Version : Ring finger and index finger

girlalex
12-22-2009, 03:33 AM
How many of you have your index finger longer than the ring finger?

I just found out that apparently if your index finger is longer than your ring finger, that means that you tend to have a more feminine personality/traits.

Persephone
12-22-2009, 04:22 AM
On my right hand my ring finger is longer than my index finger; on my left hand my index finger is quite a bit longer than my ring finger.

ringedjohn
12-22-2009, 04:29 AM
The ring finger is longer than my index finger on both hands.

Diane Smith
12-22-2009, 04:33 AM
Mine are pretty much exactly the same length.

- Diane

Shikyo
12-22-2009, 05:31 AM
Both ring fingers are shorter on my hands.

eluuzion
12-22-2009, 09:02 AM
At the risk of boring everybody to death...

I believe that you are referring to what is called the “digit ratio”…specifically “2D:4D” (2D is index finger / 4D is ring finger). It is based on research regarding the length relationship between the index and ring finger. (mainly of right hand) The “guru” is Prof John T. Manning (psychology dept. of U of Liverpool). He has two books published on the research and findings. (‘The Finger Book’ and a recent one “Digit Ratio”)

The research is based on the concentration levels of fetal androgens (testosterone/estrogen) present in the womb during pregnancy, and how it may affect certain traits of the offspring. The probability of these “traits” being present in the person seemingly can be “predicted” to some degree by determining the “2D:4D” or “Digit Ratio”.

2D:4D ratio is easy to do. Put your open right with palm facing down, flat against the screen of any copy machine. You have to make sure the copy shows the end of fingers and also the creases in your fingers. Specifically, it needs to show the two final creases where your fingers meet the palm of your hand.

Now, post the copy on your frig…hehehe…jus’ kiddn’…ok, back to business…

Now take your copy of your hand and find the two final creases where the figures connect to your palm. There is one finger crease just a little above the “final” crease that is formed by the connection of finger and palm. The finger/palm crease is the start of the line which stop at the tip of the finger being measured.

You divide the length of the index finger (2D), by the length of the ring finger (4D) to arrive at your “digit ratio”. I think the average male ratio is (.95 or .96). That psych class was a long time ago for me…even in human years, lol.

Basically, the only real significant findings were related to gay males that ALSO had several older brothers. This group had considerably shorter index fingers (in relationship to ring finger length)…i.e. (lower 2D:4D ratio), when compared to hetero males.

Low ratio = smaller difference in length between index finger (2D) and ring finger (4D).
High ratio = greater difference in length between index finger and ring finger (ring figure typically being the longer finger).

Supposedly…

Males with low 2D:4D ratio…
-more aggressive/assertive
-greater propensity to be gay/bi
-higher aptitude for music and sports activities

Males with high 2D:4D ratio…
Higher risk of heart disease

The findings for females is pretty much the same, except you replace the risk of heart disease with the risk of breast cancer.

I do not recall any results that match what you have learned. I have seen several references to what you stated in various sites on the net. I suppose it is a “morphed” result of the old “story telling experiment” we all conducted in elementary school. (where the first kid is read a story, then tells it to another kid, who then tells a third kid…until it is finally told to the last kid in the classroom. (Then the original story is compared to the embellished/modified version that the last kid was told).

There is also a following in the world of professional sports that believes in applying some of this stuff during the selection/recruiting process.

Anyway, there ya go…

There will be a pop quiz on this material tomorrow morning at 8:00 a.m. sharp. Don’t be late and remember to bring a sharpened #2 pencil…hehehehe

Kate Simmons
12-22-2009, 09:09 AM
This has come up several times on here before but I think it's pure nonsense myself.:)

Sarasometimes
12-22-2009, 09:31 AM
It amazes me what some people can find to do in thier spare time. I bet he got paid quite well to do that study.

Karren H
12-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Ekkkkk..... All my fingers are the same length???

eluuzion
12-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Ekkkkk..... All my fingers are the same length???

ummm, stand by for a sec, let me just run that by Dr. Manning and the "judges panel"...

K, I'm back...the concensus seems to lead toward a low "2D:4D" ratio, which I would consider to be a good thing.

There is another little issue. After they noticed your measurements for all fingers were the same length, Dr. Manning wants to set up an immediate meeting with you to discuss that thumb length being equal to the other 4 digits...

...something about writing another book...hehehe:D

sherri52
12-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Both ring fingers are longer than the index fingers but I still have more feminine traits

PretzelGirl
12-22-2009, 09:20 PM
This has come up several times on here before but I think it's pure nonsense myself.:)

Does it help if I am the oldest son and left handed? :heehee:

Donnadcd
12-22-2009, 11:00 PM
On both of my hands the index finger is longer than the ring finger, with the greatest difference being on my left hand.

nikkijo
12-22-2009, 11:28 PM
love to post my diget ratio.... but i cut tips of both index fingers off... 1 with a grinder, one with a chain saw... so its skewed.. but prior my right hasnd was equal,

txrobinm
12-23-2009, 12:11 AM
I always thought (guess I heard it somewhere) that this trait is genetic and specific to gender. Males have ring fingers longer than index fingers; women have longer index fingers than ring fingers.

From a bio-mechanics point of view, is it easier to throw a spear (hunter) with a longer ring finger, adding stability through spin? and couldn't a longer index finger be an advantage to a woman in gathering?

Jan Michell Collins
12-23-2009, 09:45 AM
I realy don't see how this is true. I used to bowl, a lot I still would love to get back to it but thats another story. I rolled a 16lb finger tip ball, 6 nights a week and my middle and ring fingers on my right hand are so much longer that the other hand. But yes my ring finger is longer than my index.

eluuzion
12-23-2009, 10:23 PM
I I rolled a 16lb finger tip ball, 6 nights a week and my middle and ring fingers on my right hand are so much longer that the other hand.

Point well taken there Jan, but most of the subjects and research data probably eliminates artificially induced cases.

But your example makes for some interesting observations along that line. I lived in Florida for many years and we went to Jai Alai (hailai) matches. The difference in length between the players' throwing arm and non-throwing arm (length) was incredible. In some cases, pretty freaky looking...

RobynP
12-24-2009, 01:56 AM
Check out Digit_ratio for all the info from Wikipedia...

Vicki-Z
12-24-2009, 02:40 AM
:OMG: My index finger is way shorter than my ring finger!

I can feel all that testosterone pumping in me now! :believeit:

eek!!! What am I doing wearing a bra and panties! :eek:

Oh, it's OK!

I almost forgot I cut half my index finger off a few years ago. Whew? I began panicing there for a minute. :D

Vicki :cheer:

linnea
12-24-2009, 07:53 AM
On my right hand my ring finger is longer than my index finger; on my left hand my index finger is quite a bit longer than my ring finger.

This describes my finger lengths too. I have heard this idea about the relative lengths before, but I've never really studied it or for that matter cared about it much. It's kind of interesting though.