PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Skirts While Not Dressed

brassieres
12-22-2009, 06:07 PM
I am thinking that in theory since women tend to wear mens clothes regularly that in theory a man could wear a skirt. Say a long ankle length one without any fancy design on it, but just a plain solid color instead. I have seen 2 people do this. What do you think?

Also, block heeled boots (separately could be an idea too.)

charlie
12-22-2009, 06:56 PM
When I first started going out and about, I went to a gay bar that tolerates TG. I went wearing a man's shirt, no wig or makeup, a short solid colored skirt, black nylons and heels. It did not go over the best. Many people came up to me and stated that I needed help with wigs, makeup, blouses and jewelry. I met many people and was put in the right direction. Short answer is that you are more noticeable, and stick out in an antisocial way. I think that when I go out fully dressed now, I am not noticed really at all (not because I pass and look perfect either). It seems that people do not really stare and see all the people in front of them unless a person really does not fit in. The brain tends to fill in imperfections without really noticing.

SuzanneBender
12-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Ummmm isn't that called a kilt? Sorry I couldn't resist, but it makes sense. My purse is a satchel or messenger bag when in male mode. So why not?

oh em GIA
12-22-2009, 07:10 PM
yeh but kilts, only gothic guys really wear, from my observations, even then, its still considered "gay" in my school. and its not a kilt either itsa skirt at school lol.

you cant win both ways. but u can try :)

shorty82
12-22-2009, 07:17 PM
The closest to going out "en femme" for me so far is wearing a skirt and heels with a men's shirt.

Kate Simmons
12-22-2009, 07:19 PM
I'm sure they could but most men won't due to peer pressure, false pride or whatever.In fact most guys wouldn't have the guts to put up with the potential ridicule.:)

sherri52
12-22-2009, 07:22 PM
You wouldn't get the same feeling from it and John Q Public wouldn't take to it either.

shorty82
12-22-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm sure they could but most men won't due to peer pressure, false pride or whatever.In fact most guys wouldn't have the guts to put up with the potential ridicule.:)

What's sorta funny is that skirts were men's wear in the past and that only in recent history has it not been acceptable to wear them. Heck, in parts of the world men still wear skirts and skirt-like clothes other than kilts, such as the sarong.

martha mars
12-22-2009, 07:30 PM
i wear a skirt every day and dont care what people think

Tiff Rivera
12-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Ummmm isn't that called a kilt? Sorry I couldn't resist, but it makes sense. My purse is a satchel or messenger bag when in male mode. So why not?

I thought the same thing. I don't see why not either

Kate Simmons
12-22-2009, 07:36 PM
What's sorta funny is that skirts were men's wear in the past and that only in recent history has it not been acceptable to wear them. Heck, in parts of the world men still wear skirts and skirt-like clothes other than kilts, such as the sarong.Quite true my friend but then again that is the custom in those places and is not considered abnormal in any way. Westerners, on the other hand, were born with red necks and jockstraps it seems.:rolleyes:

brassieres
12-22-2009, 08:18 PM

Now if a GG somehow convinced you that it would be nice if you did it? Then perhaps I would. I would need that type of support though.

It doesn't make sense to me, man on top and woman on bottom? That ain't right! with me it's all woman or all male (which is more and more infrequent).

Evie, :2c:

I am not thinking of this as half a woman and half a man, I am meaning as a not dressed enfemme but dressed as a man but wearing a skirt instead, just like how women wear jeans, etc. Once upon a time this was considered only male attire also.

lauraabdl
12-22-2009, 08:25 PM
I often go out dressed in a skirt and heels with male shirt and no wig or makeup and have found that as long as you are lady like you will be treated with respect. I can in no way pass when all done up to the nines but still enjoy going out as often as I can in a skirt and heels.
Laura Lee

brassieres
12-22-2009, 08:28 PM
OK, just let me know where I can find a store that sells men's skirts. :straightface:

If I go out in a skirt, I go as Evie, but that's just me. :hugs:

Evie

Okie dokie, I am just saying is all, I mean there never used to be women's jeans, and back during the women's lib movement, females wore mens suits to work as well even though they didn't make women's suits at the time.

Amy Hepker
12-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Back in the 80s there was a fad for men to wear skirts. It really did not catch on very well and faded out. They had them on the national news and they were even in the papers. Some stores (very few) carried them. They were of course very long skirts and dark colors.

Tamara Croft
12-22-2009, 08:36 PM
I am thinking that in theory since women tend to wear mens clothes regularly <snip>And you base this on what? I don't wear ANY mens clothes and I don't know any woman that does... just because women wear trousers/pants, does not make them mens :brolleyes: This is the year 2009, not 1950 fgs :thumbsdn:

jenna_woods
12-22-2009, 08:36 PM
yes they could but could the men take the prussure of bringing so much attention to them selfs, I dress so I can pass to avoid unwanted attention.

brassieres
12-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Back in the 80s there was a fad for men to wear skirts. It really did not catch on very well and faded out. They had them on the national news and they were even in the papers. Some stores (very few) carried them. They were of course very long skirts and dark colors.

There has been stories recently about Japanese Men liking to wear bras, however I am not really sure how practical this is, besides are bras uncomfortable?

Amy Hepker
12-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Bras are comfortable until you wear them for a long time, like a year or more, then they get to be a pain, but for us it is an enjoyable pain.

brassieres
12-22-2009, 08:40 PM
And you base this on what? I don't wear ANY mens clothes and I don't know any woman that does... just because women wear trousers/pants, does not make them mens :brolleyes: This is the year 2009, not 1950 fgs :thumbsdn:

I am just saying is all. I do know a few women who will shop in the men's departments because the clothes are not so "constricting" so to speak.

yes they could but could the men take the prussure of bringing so much attention to them selfs, I dress so I can pass to avoid unwanted attention.

True.

brassieres
12-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Bras are comfortable until you wear them for a long time, like a year or more, then they get to be a pain, but for us it is an enjoyable pain.

Maybe I am missing something then.

Jane Douglas
12-22-2009, 08:46 PM
I suppose it really depends on what motivates you to dress.

If it feels 'right' and satisfies your desire then wear whatever you want.

I for one dress to feel feminine and for the sexual charge I and my 'date' get from it. So I want to be as convincingly feminine as I can be.

So, no men shirts with a skirt for me - unless its plaid with arms cut off, tied in a knot under my bust exposing my belly button - worn with my Daisy-Dukes.

Jane

Rachel Morley
12-22-2009, 10:51 PM
If regular men ever do start wearing skirts for fashion reasons I think that a long ankle length one without any fancy design on it, but just a plain solid color like say black, is probably the type they will wear. :2c:

Aneline
12-23-2009, 12:07 AM
There's a few men in Berkeley that dress kind of half and half like that, but that's Berkeley. Across the way in Oakland, most people choose one way or another.

kay2
12-23-2009, 01:31 AM
I often wear a skirt. I never wear forms/wig/makeup, though my long nails are usually painted. I typically wear a simple pullover and a skirt with tights. I dress like this in a variety of settings. The skirts range from long to above knee, solid color to floral, cotton to silk, and some have lace. I have dressed like this while shopping, traveling, and visiting restaurants. I get the occasional smirk, but typically there is no reaction, or a glance with no visible reaction. I do get comments from both men and women - men wishing they had the courage to dress this way, and women complimenting me and telling me that I raise the bar on dressing nicely. I have listed the range of comments in previous posts.

My opinion is just do it if you feel like it. After people see you a few times it becomes a non-issue (except for the women that give me their email address or phone number).

Joanie B
12-23-2009, 01:55 AM
OK, just let me know where I can find a store that sells men's skirts. :straightface:

If I go out in a skirt, I go as Evie, but that's just me. :hugs:

Evie

Evie,
There is a "skirt" for men called a utilikilt. I have seen it worn by gay men with black military style boots in a masculine style.
They are sold online but I don't know the website. They are definitely not feminine in any way. totally different mind set.
They are not trying to be women, just like the style.
This may be what some of the posts here resemble.....not "cross dressing" so much as wearing a comfortable garment as a man.

Joanie

Joanne f
12-23-2009, 03:27 AM
I see no problem with it as i have done it myself, in fact i feel more natural doing it like that most of the time as it is not changing me but just changing what i am wearing .
There are a few men's skirts about but for me it is picking at words again as a skirt is a skirt .
Midasclothing, UTILIKILTS, AMOK, and a few others H&M use to sell a skirt for men but as i said a skirt is a skirt .

BarbraAnne
12-23-2009, 08:14 AM
AS most of you probably know, a majority of woman's fashions came from the men's side. Heels, skirts, dresses, wigs, the list goes on. Remember a few years ago when the long belt that was tucked behind and hung down was popular. That was a men's style from the Knight's period.
It's ironic that woman, who have nothing between their legs wear a loose skirt, and Men who have a package wear tight pants. It should be the reverse!
TTFN, Barb

Emma England
12-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Go for it.

I quite often wear a skirt in the summer, when it is too hot to wear pants.

The only fear is in your head.

shorty82
12-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Evie,
There is a "skirt" for men called a utilikilt. I have seen it worn by gay men with black military style boots in a masculine style.
They are sold online but I don't know the website. They are definitely not feminine in any way. totally different mind set.
They are not trying to be women, just like the style.
This may be what some of the posts here resemble.....not "cross dressing" so much as wearing a comfortable garment as a man.

Joanie

Utilikilt's website is http://www.utilikilts.com/.

I personally own an Amerikilt (http://www.amerikilt.com/). I looked at the Utilikilt. but like the design of the Amerikilt better. I love my kilt, very comfortable and it was my first experience wearing a skirt-like garment in public. There are places I won't wear a skirt as a man to but I'll wear the kilt.

lavistaa62
12-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Wearing a skirt as a guy would definitely push some boundaries in the West- the disapproval is definitely all social and it causes me to wonder why the TG friendly place mentioned previously would have an issue with it. As it happens I've had two related experiences in the last few days.

Firstly I was making some beer and the place happened to be full of lesbians also making beer. There was the usual more male/more female pairing with most of the more male dressed in full male regalia- haircuts to shoes. Not female versions- male clothes top to bottom. Certainly in some places they may get the usual ignorant "looks" but I can't imagine people outside the moral dictator crowd really getting upset. On the other hand a male dressed top to bottom in female garb would be very unusual to see; males don't generally have the social courage to try this and society would probably react more negatively. I'm guessing many people wouldn't even recognize them as GG.

I also just went to New York. Outside of one awesomely dressed gent with a 3' fur hat, 6" 70s block heals and full pimp fur coat most everyone was boring and generic on the streets. bummer. In one of the many lines I stood next to a woman about my height, dressed in womens jeans, coat, big sunglasses. Her foot size, wrist and hand size and general size were just about mine- if it weren't for one thing- her supremely smooth facial skin, natural hair and female way of unconsciously pursing her lips I would have thought CD or TG but I don't think it was the case.

So, all these words lead up to my thoughts about this and passing. Most women are not good looking- many on this board have bodies and faces that a good many GG would like to have. If this woman with her many male attributes is accepted without question as a female wouldn't a male, with no facial hair, breast forms and with natural hair be similarly accepted? I'm talking without makeup or doodles and so on. Isn't that the ultimate test of social feminity?

Jason+
12-23-2009, 11:41 AM
I often wear a skirt. I never wear forms/wig/makeup, though my long nails are usually painted. I typically wear a simple pullover and a skirt with tights. I dress like this in a variety of settings. The skirts range from long to above knee, solid color to floral, cotton to silk, and some have lace. I have dressed like this while shopping, traveling, and visiting restaurants. I get the occasional smirk, but typically there is no reaction, or a glance with no visible reaction. I do get comments from both men and women - men wishing they had the courage to dress this way, and women complimenting me and telling me that I raise the bar on dressing nicely. I have listed the range of comments in previous posts.

My opinion is just do it if you feel like it. After people see you a few times it becomes a non-issue (except for the women that give me their email address or phone number).

Kay I couldn't agree with you more. I don't wear wigs or forms either but I do like lipstick now and then but other than the nail polish that's it for me.

I looked into a Utilikilt and decided that the possibly smaller stigma of a kilt to the tune of $200 wasn't any better than the under $20 skirts I can get at the Walmart.

As for mixing and matching the two why not? Some days I am happy in a jean skirt and a t-shirt and others I want heels, hose, lingerie, perfume and a nice dress.

Wearing the wig and forms would for me be giving in to a rule set as equally restrictive as what "men" are supposed to wear just in a different direction. I don't wish to unnecessarily shock or offend people but I'm not willing to hide under a wig simply to better fit in.

meri
12-23-2009, 12:47 PM
With respect to men in general, contemporary kilts and traditional kilts are seeing a reemergence. At a recent Celtic even, I saw more men in kilts than in shorts and pants. There are also at least a dozen kilts makers in the US making both traditional, traditional "look-alikes" and contemporary kilts.

Typically, on the kilt related websites, the traditionalists are squaring off against the modern kilt wearers. However, the modern kilt wearers outnumber the traditionalists and I believe it is this group which is leading men back into skirts.

They do discuss (argue) about hem length, fabric weight, plaid design, etc., but there is a divergence and it's growing.

I personally wear kilts and usually get compliments from people (mostly women). Guys usually don't say anything, but if they do it's more likely to be a challenge to my manhood in one way or another.

I have also worn skirts, the reactions are mixed. Some people think even a long skirt is a "kilt" since it's clearly worn by a guy, I have been told I look like a monk, been asked what I wear underneath (socks and shoes of course) and "nice skirt".

It is a well established fact that people that do lash out to "defend the male turf" are generally insecure and sometimes wish they had the balls to do it themselves.

It's all about confidence, if you can muster up your confidence, walk out of the house with your skirt or kilt on like nothing is wrong or unusual, you won't have problems. If you appear "weak", then the more feeble-brained idiots will think they have the advantage and sometimes make negative remarks. In the end, I feel I am doing them a favor by showing them they don't have to be locked into the box they have confined themselves into.

Merry Christmas!

sissystephanie
12-23-2009, 05:26 PM
I have been wearing skirts and dresses for more years than many of you have been alive. And yes, I am a MAN! When my wife was alive I usually was passable! When she passed away a little over 4 years ago, I decided to just forget about becoming "passable," and just started going out in skirts or dresses with out wearing a wig or lots of makeup. I go everywhere that way, and have never had a "bad" experience being dressed! My clothing, on those occasions, is totally feminine from the skin out! I rarely wear long skirts, preferring ones that are just below or just above my knees! Since I have natural 40 B's, I do not need forms and do wear a bra almost all the time! I am a Crossdresser and proud of it!!

Frédérique
12-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Ummmm isn't that called a kilt? Sorry I couldn't resist, but it makes sense.

I used to be quite defensive about kilts being exclusively male garments, but now I see them as skirts, period. I mean, I’m wearing it because it feels like a skirt, so let’s not beat around the bush! :heehee:

Eliminate the sporran, skip the belt, get rid of the aggressive kilt pin and (most importantly) wear decent girly underwear and hosiery with it – TA DAH!!! Congratulations, you’re wearing a skirt! Welcome to the other side of life – please leave your maleness at the door…:battingeyelashes:

kay2
12-24-2009, 01:02 AM
I overheard two women talking about a man wearing a Utilikilt. One of them said, "If he is going to wear a skirt at least he could wear a pretty one."

Emma England
12-24-2009, 09:30 AM
I overheard two women talking about a man wearing a Utilikilt. One of them said, "If he is going to wear a skirt at least he could wear a pretty one."

This is the reason why skirts are nicer than kilts.

BarbraAnne
12-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Here is a flickr site that has many men's skirts as shown on the european runways.
www.flickr.com/photos/28837253@N07/
TTFN, Barb

t-girlxsophie
12-29-2009, 02:26 AM
This is a very intriguing thread,speaking as a Scot,the kilt is of course a skirt,but reading some of the posts regarding ppl questioning your sexuality,if they tried to insult you in Scotland regarding the wearing of the kilt,i think they would get the answer in a rather forthright manner lol

Having said that i cant imagine wearing a skirt,other than the kilt,when in male mode,its an either or situation in my opinion,i know some wear androgenous outfits with shades of femininity,but i cant imagine anyone going out in skirt etc without wig,makeup,although i respect anyones decision to do so

Kari Lynn Franks
12-29-2009, 09:47 AM
I do it all the time I wear skirts and blouses most of the time and ive been known to go to home depot with no makeup or wig even with my hair messed up cause im in the middle of a project oh and I cant forget to add the cute purse ladies dont always get all dressed up just to run to the store

i have been wearing skirts and dresses for more years than many of you have been alive. And yes, i am a man! When my wife was alive i usually was passable! When she passed away a little over 4 years ago, i decided to just forget about becoming "passable," and just started going out in skirts or dresses with out wearing a wig or lots of makeup. I go everywhere that way, and have never had a "bad" experience being dressed! My clothing, on those occasions, is totally feminine from the skin out! I rarely wear long skirts, preferring ones that are just below or just above my knees! Since i have natural 40 b's, i do not need forms and do wear a bra almost all the time! I am a crossdresser and proud of it!!

you go girl

Toni_Lynn
12-29-2009, 12:18 PM
yeh but kilts, only gothic guys really wear, from my observations, even then, its still considered "gay" in my school. and its not a kilt either itsa skirt at school lol.

you cant win both ways. but u can try :)

I am a proud kilt wearer when I'm in boy mode, and it is my chosen mode of formal dress when in suit and tie. Plus, in the summer when going out en femme would not be practical such as to the hardware store to buy lumber, or on a long drive where I'd not be able to do makeup such as to control the dreaded 5 o'clock shadow, a kilt is great.

I own 2 and plan to get a 3rd this spring.

I can assure you that I am neither goth nor gay, and the same applies to the majority of kilt wearing men that I know, although it doesn't mean that there aren't gay kilt wearers, or goth kilt wearers, or gay goth kilt wearers :).

Just as among CDers there is a happy diversity, so too amongst us kilties.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Alice Green
12-29-2009, 09:24 PM
I've wanted to get a kilt before, one so i can wear a skirt and it be socially acceptable, ant least in my area and my friends would be cool with it.

bridget jones
12-29-2009, 10:00 PM
I need to be totally enfemme to wear a skirt/dress anything less I look ridiculous.....Not the woman I want to be.I want to dress to the 9's.

JamieOH
12-29-2009, 11:53 PM
not tryin to change the subject, but it was brought up in this thread.. Bras, being uncomfortable.. It is said that over 90% of women are wearing the wrong size bra, and it appears that holds true for these "women" here too.. let me tell you, I have a few different bras, and wear one every day to work.. And I climb ladders, and pull wire, and drill, and hammer, and pour concrete, and lift heavy things above my head.. stretch my body further than it can go, and squish it into crawl spaces so tiny, my shoe barely fits.. and only a couple are uncomfortabel.. and that is because they actually are the wrong size.. although they are 38B, I needed to increase the band size in that style. not all styles are going to fit you the same and so the size needs to be adjusted for the style.. Manufacturers cant make 58,000 different 38 b's with everyone's name on it.. so, you have to adjust for you. also, if in doubt, go one size larger on the band than you think you need. It will fit better.. the cup size matters too.. but that is a whole nother matter entirely.. I have Gynecomastia, so I have boobs... But most will have to rely on their forms to decide what cup size to get.. But make sure that the band size is right and it will be VERY comfortable...