PDA

View Full Version : The sun will rise and the moon will set...

sandra-leigh
12-24-2009, 04:57 AM
"It all goes on whether you're there are not,
So who cares? So what?"

That song from Cabaret was running through my head twice yesterday -- but I don't mean in a bad way.

In the morning, I realized that I was running just late enough that it was questionable whether I would make my bus in time, so I called for a cab to reach my therapy appointment. The cab driver that arrived was one who has driven me to work quite a number of times, and most of the time has on a tape from The Gospel Power Hour. He knows me by first name, knows my wife by site as well (he's driven her a few times.) But he didn't appear to blink twice at seeing me in my long denim skirt and visible (modest) lipstick and carrying a purse; his only visible surprise was that I was going somewhere different. So that's one more person to cross off my "worry list", and the first occasion that the tune went through my mind.

Then, last evening, I walked my groceries home from a deli about 8 blocks away. My immediate next door neighbour happened to be outside at the time, so I stopped and talked briefly to him, grocery bags in hand. I didn't think anything of it, but a moment later when I reached my gate, I realized that I had my usual classic female purse slung over my shoulder, not hidden at all while I was talking to him. Neh, maybe he saw it, maybe he didn't. Who cares? So what?

Speaking of my "worry list": on Monday, I wasn't feeling well enough to go to work. I forced myself to go out the door and over to the {quite} nearby corner deli that we visit a few times per week. Now, I have worn a skirt there once before (maybe more), but they might well not have noticed that time; I think I was wearing a long coat that time. This time, my jacket was only waist-length, the skirt was obviously a skirt (but not flashy), my earrings were visible (hair tucked back a bit). Oh yes, and my jacket was unmistakably Not Male -- a cute cherry-blossom design with some elastic in the middle that draws the midriff in, thus defining the bust (form-produced) underneath. Anyhow, the owners and the long-time staff member were as kind and welcoming and courteous as always -- so that's another place I can cross off my "worry list".

As I recently remarked in another thread, telling strangers is easy; the hard part is bringing it close to home, to the people who actually know you.

linnea
12-24-2009, 07:46 AM
we probably believe that many things are far more serious than they are really taken to be by other people.