PDA

View Full Version : Missed Oportunity?

LouiseCassell
08-02-2005, 01:31 PM
This will be mainly aimed at the UK end of the market.

Two tv programs have had characters that are transgendered. One in Coronation Street and one recently in Bad Girls. As much as it is nice to see such characters being introduced into the programs - esp in the Street as its such a large role but is it me or does anyone else think that it was such a wasted opportunity when both characters were female pretending to be TG?

Thoughts would be appreciated.#

Gemma
08-02-2005, 01:41 PM
It was a wasted oppourtunity, but I believe the producers of the programmes probably thought a real TS wouldn't be able to carry being a real girl off, I havn't seen the one in Bad Girls but for future programming they should use the real thing, I'm sure there are some aspiring TS actresses out there

Jamie M
08-02-2005, 02:09 PM
I think that it was such a big thing for them to do in the first place that they felt they mustn't shock the public too much in one go. To have an actress portraying a TG is one thing but to have a TG actress is another altogether for most of the UK soap viewers I feel.

Along the same lines though ,for anyone who saw it a while ago on Sky, what did people make of "Something About Miriam" ?

LouiseCassell
08-02-2005, 02:11 PM
I think that it was such a big thing for them to do in the first place that they felt they mustn't shock the public too much in one go. To have an actress portraying a TG is one thing but to have a TG actress is another altogether for most of the UK soap viewers I feel.

Along the same lines though ,for anyone who saw it a while ago on Sky, what did people make of "Something About Miriam" ?

that title rings a bell yes.

I think you are right by saying maybe it would be too much of a shock to the general public to have a real; TG playing the role - but maybe we do not give the general public enough credit now a days - after all look what happened to Nadia in BB?

Jamie M
08-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Could it be that BB viewers on the whole are much younger and therefore possibly more open to different view points than your typical Corrie addict.

It's all a start anyway , who knows maybe Phil Mitchell comes back to the square from wherever he's been hiding and reveals his hidden desire for tutu's and lycra ;)

LouiseCassell
08-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Could it be that BB viewers on the whole are much younger and therefore possibly more open to different view points than your typical Corrie addict.

It's all a start anyway , who knows maybe Phil Mitchell comes back to the square from wherever he's been hiding and reveals his hidden desire for tutu's and lycra ;)

Not sure about the age thing - I know young and old who watch both programs. A Mitchell in a dress - hell - I would rather die I think!!

Gemma
08-02-2005, 02:18 PM
who knows maybe Phil Mitchell comes back to the square from wherever he's been hiding and reveals his hidden desire for tutu's and lycra ;)
Oh Julia! please, Iv'e just eaten, the very thought :lol:

crispy
08-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Oh Julia! please, Iv'e just eaten, the very thought :lol:
and dirty den is resurrected as a glamorous granny ....... :rolleyes:

Jamie M
08-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Don't start , he's already made it back from the dead once , don't go giving them another storyline ;)

Rachel_740
08-04-2005, 11:50 AM
This will be mainly aimed at the UK end of the market.

Two tv programs have had characters that are transgendered. One in Coronation Street and one recently in Bad Girls. As much as it is nice to see such characters being introduced into the programs - esp in the Street as its such a large role but is it me or does anyone else think that it was such a wasted opportunity when both characters were female pretending to be TG?

Thoughts would be appreciated.#

Louise,
I'll take the job (if you're offering). Been living 24/7 for the last 7 months now. Never had any acting experience, but with the rates of pay on Corrie/Eastenders/Brookside I'll do it for half (and still be getting bucket-loads more than I earn now :) )

Anne

Jamie M
08-04-2005, 11:52 AM
Ah , but could you take the long stressful hours of make up artists tending to your every need and wardrobe assistants fretting over what you'll wear this week ?

stressful or what ;)

Rachel_740
08-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Sacrifices have to be made :rolleyes:

If the price was right I'd even let CH 4 film my op next year. Could do with a few £KKK's for clothes. :)

Anne