PDA

View Full Version : The beginning of the end

pamela_a
01-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Today I started what I consider to be the beginning of the end of my transition. Finally having the necessary documents in hand today I filed my petition for legal name and gender change. In some ways it's strange because it's so terribly simple. Fill out a few forms, fork over the money and wait for a judge to (hopefully) sign the petition.

So easy, yet it means so much. Once this is complete, no longer will have to use "his" name for anything. When asked for ID I won't have to hope they accept my work ID and I won't have to be ashamed/embarrassed to have to use "his" ID. For me, once my petition is approved and I'm legally Pamela Christine -- Female, I'm done with my transition. Sure surgery will be the "icing on the cake" so to speak but I can live without it. I can no longer live being tied legally to "his" name.

Kerigirl2009
01-05-2010, 12:53 AM
You go girl, I mean Pamela!!! :)

Midnight Skye
01-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Hurray for you Pamela! That has got to be one great feeling, I bet you can't wait to have it in hand. Better than opening presents on Christmas if you ask me (even if they ARE from Santa!)

Bethany38
01-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Pamela, that is just so wonderful:clap2:... How long before you will hear on the decision? I bet you can hardly wait, I know I would be on pins & needles. I wish you all the best.

Bethany

Teri Jean
01-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Pam that is so great and as I said last night before the other call came in you are finally at that point. Now we need to discuss this next fall. Hugs sis and talk to you soon. Teri

pamela_a
01-05-2010, 12:36 PM
How long before you will hear on the decision?

Bethany, I was told to expect a letter from the court in a few weeks telling me which judge has my petition and that I should contact them to schedule the hearing so hopefully it will be all done by the end of the month.

carolinoakland
01-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Congratulations, it took me six months from the time I filed the paper to the court date. And, when I went to the dmv with my gender change form...they changed it two days prior and I had to go back to my dr.'s to fill out the new form. Took another two weeks for that part. Three things, the first thing they did at dmv was to confiscate my old id, two, when I did get the new form and took it in the clerk was going over the form and I'd forgotten to initial a box. I couldn't tell if I needed the old initials authorizing the change or, the new one's acknowledgeing the change...
so I asked "which signature do they want?"
And that was when she held up the old id and said...
" This person... doesn't exist anymore,done, gone...." And dropped it into the wastebasket.
And I smiled, and got the chills as I realized....
I DID IT! I AM ME FOR REAL NOW!

And I have to tell you that F on my drivers license is the only F I've ever wanted!
One funny moment came when I was changing my name at the bank... the clerk asked why I was changing my name? I looked down at my cleavage and said...
"Doesn't work for me anymore..."
People crack me up, I had a co worker be totally shocked that despite being told that I'd changed my gender hadn't realized that i would change my name... which is weird because there isn't even a feminine version of my old name, that's how uber male I used to be... Carol

SuzanneBender
01-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Pamela you and Carol have me all misty right now which isn't good because I am sitting in the middle of a conference room reading this.

Congradulations Pamela keep us posted on the progress.

kellycan27
01-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Congrats Pam.. It sure is a nice feeling isn't it. Once I had my id's (DL,BC, and passport) there was no looking back, and nobody could dispute the facts! :heehee:
I am really happy for you!
Kel

Kimberly Marie Kelly
01-05-2010, 09:52 PM
In PA I did the name change etc. and have had my drivers license, bank records, SS card and work records changed. But with the SS card, PennDot you can't change the gender marker without a surgery certificate. But at least my name is changed and my picture is of me now. For me I need to get the monies for the surgeries. Kimberly Marie Kelly :battingeyelashes: