PDA

View Full Version : Posture

CutieBoy
01-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Ok now I haven't posted much around here but that is more because I was able to find all the information I was looking for until now just through searching the forums and I hate creating repeat posts. Anyways, I was just wondering if any of you had some tips on posture, you know like stuff that most likely comes naturally to people born female but people who CD might need to keep in mind on a regular basis...

Note posting this quickly before I leave for work, no time to proofread. Sorry for any errors, will correct later if necessary.

Karren H
01-05-2010, 02:31 PM
My wife has worse posture than I do.. Lol. Guess stand up straight.. Don't slough.. Chest out.... Hold your head up. Swing the arm that you don't have your purse on widely when you walk. Smile!!! Do not try to over accentuate any hip movement.. Comes accross as un-natural.. In my humble opinion

CutieBoy
01-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the tips in walking Karren, as mentionned in my signature, I am new to this. I have not dressed in public yet but I do have an event planned for which I will be going dressed in public. The event is in August so I have time to prepare. In my question though I did not mean only walking, but also sitting and stuff... I'm assuming that 'try to keep your legs close together at all times' is a good one but then again, as I said I'm new at this so will need a full run through... I had some friends who plainly said I would DEFINITELY need to adjust the way I sit but would give me no further details...

Ze
01-06-2010, 12:38 AM
This may sound odd, but read the chapter entitled "Throwing Like a Girl" in the book "On Female Body Experience" by Iris Marion Young. It's not a guide for MtF CDs/TGs or anything, but it's a feminist phenomenological analysis of American culture and the resulting movement and embodiment of women. Picks up on the stuff most people never stop to think about. It's kind of, like, stereotypes of female movement vs. what's really going on.

That's a mouthful, ain't it? Either way, borrow it from a library or something. (Likely under gender theory or philosophy.) It might help. :) The whole book is actually pretty cool, but that chapter in particular pertains to the posture and stuff you seem to be curious about.

For all you ladies out there curious about the embodiment of pregnancy, menstruation, posture, clothing, etc., you might want to give this book a glance if you're up for an intellectual read.

CutieBoy
01-06-2010, 02:22 AM
Thank you Ze! Sounds EXACTLY like what I was looking for! Also never thought of looking through a library for this type of info... Will definitely need to get myself a library card again... Will probably end up reading more than just that chapter for general understanding and curiosity's sake but that specific chapter sounds like it would definitely help me out with my current, euhm, project?

Stitch
01-06-2010, 03:38 AM
This may sound odd, but read the chapter entitled "Throwing Like a Girl" in the book "On Female Body Experience" by Iris Marion Young. It's not a guide for MtF CDs/TGs or anything, but it's a feminist phenomenological analysis of American culture and the resulting movement and embodiment of women. Picks up on the stuff most people never stop to think about. It's kind of, like, stereotypes of female movement vs. what's really going on.

That's a mouthful, ain't it? Either way, borrow it from a library or something. (Likely under gender theory or philosophy.) It might help. :) The whole book is actually pretty cool, but that chapter in particular pertains to the posture and stuff you seem to be curious about.

For all you ladies out there curious about the embodiment of pregnancy, menstruation, posture, clothing, etc., you might want to give this book a glance if you're up for an intellectual read.

That does sound fascinating, although I'm a little freaked out over the prospect that I may walk different when menstruating. :eek: I hope no one notices.

Anyway I googled "walking like a woman" and this website jumped up. TG Today's guide for walking like a woman (http://www.tgtoday.com/makeupandfashion/walking.html) Now I've never really stopped to look at how people really walk, as to me it's just moving to point A to Point B without falling over, but the site certainly seems like it knows what it's talking about.

Rogina B
01-06-2010, 08:20 AM
A bra and boobies should do the trick to stand straight and tall. If you "stick em out there for the world to see,then your posture will be correct! You don't have to walk like a runway model to have a nice one and it is a good workout for sure.:2c:

Nicole Erin
01-06-2010, 09:32 AM
That does sound fascinating, although I'm a little freaked out over the prospect that I may walk different when menstruating. :eek: I hope no one notices.

Stitch you would probably kick me in the ass for this joke but when you said that, I imagined a woman walking around bowlegged and scratching herself. :heehee:

but yeah most walking is gender neutral unless a man or woman is trying to exaggerate. Like a guy throwing his shoulders back or a woman swinging her hips too much.

Chari
01-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Consider observing females in your age group, as to how they sit, walk, stand, etc, but don't stare at them! Notice how they move, where they place their hands, arms, how they use their hands to make a point, toss their hair, position their head when talking, etc. Remember these things, try it, but don't exaggerate! Then practice, practice, practice, and practice some more!

Kate Simmons
01-06-2010, 10:30 AM
I appreciate what Ze said about stereotypes and agree with him. Anyone who is really clueless should check that book out. Anyway, I just wanted to say it was different when I went to school. It was "Peter posture" vs "Sally slump". Good or bad posture is not limited to either gender really, it's an individual thing (God, why do I keep repeating myself?):battingeyelashes::)

joann07
01-06-2010, 10:47 AM
If you want to learn about posteur, the best people to learn from are women.
Me, I learn a lot by just observing women. When I am out, I take mental notes of how they sit, how they stand, how they walk, etc, etc, etc.
And when I look at photos of GG's, again, I do the same thing paying attention to and studying every tiny detail.

When I take photos of myself, I look at how I pose, how I position myself, as well as, my posture and compare them to how GG's would when they pose for the camera. If something doesn't look right, I will keep practicing and retaking photos until I get the right shot I'm looking for.

When I go out, I practice what I see and that helps me to further improve my overall presentation.

Hugs!

suchacutie
01-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Walking is just a small part of it, really. There have been many posts here that point to the online bionic view of walking like a man, a woman, and anywhere in between. You probably found that searching the threads here.

But...I, too, a short while ago was looking for this kind of information and found it in a tidy package in the book Art and Illusion by JoAnne Roberts. I found it on Amazon easily except I now see that it's out of print and hard to get (darn!), but as I scrolled down there were used copies available...some way too expensive because of the rarity. If you can find it online for a reasonable price, I highly recommend it.

Basically, projecting the idea of "feminine" with your body language is like...well...learning a new language. It is sitting and standing, walking and moving in a way that is assured, fluid, and never hurried. Think of Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady as she was being "trained". This doesn't take forever to learn because as your body begins to understand the process it all begins to become natural. After all, half of the population knows exactly what to do!

Oh, there is also Miss Vera's guide...... I don't have it but the table of contents looked positive. I wonder if anyone has it and can comment on it?

tina

Stitch
01-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Stitch you would probably kick me in the ass for this joke but when you said that, I imagined a woman walking around bowlegged and scratching herself. :heehee:

but yeah most walking is gender neutral unless a man or woman is trying to exaggerate. Like a guy throwing his shoulders back or a woman swinging her hips too much.

To be honest some of your comments crack me up. Especially the one about being domesticated. Oh how I loled. :heehee:

I do think a lot of it is stereotyped. Sadly I get told I don't act like lady all the time. I never grew out of sitting with my legs crossed like a child, and I love to sit on the floor, which apparently is childish. It's only recently I've had the confidence to walk with my head up high rather than slouching which means I suppose my chest is pushed out further now thus falling under "feminine walk" but really it was related to my self esteem rather than my gender.

I'd definitely be interested in the science behind the reasons behind the human gait, I've gotta look up that book Ze mentioned.

Ze
01-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Thank you Ze! Sounds EXACTLY like what I was looking for! Also never thought of looking through a library for this type of info... Will definitely need to get myself a library card again... Will probably end up reading more than just that chapter for general understanding and curiosity's sake but that specific chapter sounds like it would definitely help me out with my current, euhm, project?

And the best part is buying or borrowing the book won't "out" you. :) It's simply a study of practical philosophy via gender. (Yes, use that line if somebody actually questions you. :heehee:)

I feel like there's at least one other book that could help you (again, from the gender theory/philosophy approach), but for the life of me I can't remember. I'll go through my shelves and see what else I can come up with. :) But I'm sure Iris Marion Young's book is still the best I have to offer.

:lol: The book never mentions, but I'd assume it'd be some sort of waddle. *waits to be banned*

I appreciate what Ze said about stereotypes and agree with him.

You're welcome. :bow:

It was "Peter posture" vs "Sally slump".

Is that like Dufus & Decent? :ner:

Stitch
01-06-2010, 05:38 PM
:lol: The book never mentions, but I'd assume it'd be some sort of waddle. *waits to be banned*

:

Lol, O you! I don't think I waddle.. *ponders* I'm going to have to keep a close eye on this. I SHALL CONDUCT AN EXPERIMENT! Well in a few weeks at least. :heehee:

I've had worse said to me.. the first time I wore my heeled boots to work a co-worker asked me if I was limping. That really took the wind out of my sails. :doh: My mother has also commented that in heels I often look like a 5 year old waddling along in "mummys shoes"

Ze
01-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Lol, O you! I don't think I waddle..

It's okay, because technically it would mean that I waddle, too. :lurk:

*ponders* I'm going to have to keep a close eye on this. I SHALL CONDUCT AN EXPERIMENT! Well in a few weeks at least. :heehee:

:facepalm:

:lol:

Kate Simmons
01-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Waddle? Are we talking about ducks here or people? Reminds me of the old commercial with all the camp girls going into McDonalds "Quack, quack waddle, waddle.":heehee:

Joni Marie Cruz
01-06-2010, 06:11 PM
I'd definitely be interested in the science behind the reasons behind the human gait,....

Hi-

(Happy New Year, everyone.)

A great deal of the difference between men and women's gaits has to do with anatomy. Imagine! Women's hips tend to be proportionately wider than men's. Also the trochanter, the portion of the femur that joins it to the hip, is a different angle in women than in men. This results in more hip swing when a woman walks.

A couple of other things I've observed is that women tend to hold their elbows in closer to their bodies while men hold their elbows out. Men also tend to swing their arms with their thumbs forward while women rotate their thumbs out a little presenting more of their palm. Of course you don't want to exaggerate these mannerisms, just as Karren pointed out that you shouldn't try to swing your hips too much.

One problem I've run into is when I'm in male mode I have to remind myself to "walk like a man, walk like a man..." (for those of you of a certain age imagine I'm singing that in falsetto.)

Hugs...Joni Mari

charlie
01-06-2010, 06:39 PM
I think Joan hit the nail on the head. I have done this for years...go out and watch women. At the mall, see how they take small steps in their heels, see how they sit straight in their chairs with their fronts sticking out (sure there are lots of slouches, but look for the women you want to emulate). Half the population is out there to teach you...go look!

ReineD
01-06-2010, 07:11 PM
This site is fun. You can adjust the degree and mood of the male vs. female walk. Add the lines, it will be easier to see.

Bio Motion Lab (http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLwalker.html)

Angelofsomekind
01-06-2010, 07:35 PM
I've been told several times by different people I have great posture when I'm dressed, I think the corset helps that. As far as everything else, I don't know, it's not something I think about, it just kinda happens. It's kinda interesting because I don't really have good posture when I'm not dressed up.